+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OWP Wait time change FEB application

Baymaxboop

Oct 5, 2019
Hi! I’m applying this weekend for Common law sponsorship PR with OWP, I’m currently working in Montreal with a PGWP and it expires July 8th.
The processing time before said 3-4 months on the website but as of January 30th was updated to 4-5 months. Am I going to make it in time..? What do I do if my PGWP expires before I get the OWP?.... I thought I had time :(

TX2ON

Aug 20, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
Hello!

Since you already have a work permit, you could either apply for a regular work permit or apply for a visitor permit before the PGWP expires. If you are already employed, you should talk with your employer about how to go about getting an LMIA and applying for a regular work permit. In either case, you should explain to IRCC in the visa application that the purpose of this worker/visitor visa is to maintain status while you wait for the PR application to process. No sense in beating around the bush since they will know you have applied for PR.

Since your PGWP is still good until July, I don't think you need to worry about an interim visa just yet. I think it would be best for you to wait until May to apply for an interim worker/visitor visa.

The 2019 timeline spreadsheet shows a lot of variance – sometimes applicants get OWP in as little as 1 and a half months; sometimes 80 days, sometimes well beyond 100 days.

I am not aware if implied status is given to people transitioning from PGWPs to regular work permits or visitor visas. I am sure someone else can answer that. :)

Good luck on your application!!!

Baymaxboop

Oct 5, 2019
Hello!

Since you already have a work permit, you could either apply for a regular work permit or apply for a visitor permit before the PGWP expires. If you are already employed, you should talk with your employer about how to go about getting an LMIA and applying for a regular work permit. In either case, you should explain to IRCC in the visa application that the purpose of this worker/visitor visa is to maintain status while you wait for the PR application to process. No sense in beating around the bush since they will know you have applied for PR.

Since your PGWP is still good until July, I don't think you need to worry about an interim visa just yet. I think it would be best for you to wait until May to apply for an interim worker/visitor visa.

The 2019 timeline spreadsheet shows a lot of variance – sometimes applicants get OWP in as little as 1 and a half months; sometimes 80 days, sometimes well beyond 100 days.

I am not aware if implied status is given to people transitioning from PGWPs to regular work permits or visitor visas. I am sure someone else can answer that. :)

Good luck on your application!!!
Thanks for the detailed reply! Spoke with CIC Agent today who ensured me that if I don’t get granted the OWP in time I will still have implied status from my PGWP and can continue to work with my current employer until the decision for the OWP is made. thank god I didn’t want to lose my job and all the progress I’ve made thus far.

Hoping that it doesn’t take the full 5 months so it’s not even an issue! Going to be checking the application over a million times before submitting to acoid

TX2ON

Aug 20, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
Thanks for the detailed reply! Spoke with CIC Agent today who ensured me that if I don’t get granted the OWP in time I will still have implied status from my PGWP and can continue to work with my current employer until the decision for the OWP is made. thank god I didn’t want to lose my job and all the progress I’ve made thus far.

Hoping that it doesn’t take the full 5 months so it’s not even an issue! Going to be checking the application over a million times before submitting to acoid
Awesome! I'm glad you'll get implied status from the OWP application :)

I applied on the 6th, so I'm with you in hoping OWP doesn't take very long.

Best of luck on your application!