+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OWP returned while you were out of status, come and look at this

JC98337

Jan 19, 2018
This is what happened to me.
I submitted my sponsorship immigration application along with OWP application 1 month before my previous work permit expired. Technically speaking, I am implied status until I heard anything from IRCC. Unfortunately, 3 month later, my previous work permit expired, and my sponsorship OWP application was returned due to insufficient payments. (We paid $150, instead of $150 + $100. The fees are really confusing.)

Anyway, we phoned CIC, talked about our situation. They told me to pay the correct fee and return this OWP application to Vegerville, AB. However, since I am out of status, this will not be approved until my sponsorship immigration is Approved in Principal, which is going to be in around 10-12 months. In addition, I was unable to meet the implied status as well at the same time.

Thenwe paid the correct fee right the way, and then send back the application to Vegerville.
At the same time, since my previous work permit just expired 2 months, I am still eligible to apply a Vsitor Visa so that I can legally stay in Canada. This action helped me a lot! Visitor Visa was approved within a week. I am back in status which means I am qualified to get sponsorship open work permit approved. Not surprisingly, my work permit was approved 2 months later.

I want to let you know. Don't give up! We phoned CIC about all these. Even though CIC representative told me Visitor Visa application usually takes about 4 months. The truth is, it was approved within a week! CIC told me my OWP will be approved only when AIP. The truth is, I got it 2 month later.

Anyway, just want to share my story. I hope this could help someone who is experiencing the same.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
What you did was apply to restore your status. This can be done within 90 days of your status expiring. It is true that you can apply for the OWP once your status is restored. This is always the best course of action if it has been less than 90 days since you went out of status. Glad things worked out for you.

Reactions: YVR123 and kcward7

Matt_26

May 28, 2018
This is what happened to me.
I submitted my sponsorship immigration application along with OWP application 1 month before my previous work permit expired. Technically speaking, I am implied status until I heard anything from IRCC. Unfortunately, 3 month later, my previous work permit expired, and my sponsorship OWP application was returned due to insufficient payments. (We paid $150, instead of $150 + $100. The fees are really confusing.)

Anyway, we phoned CIC, talked about our situation. They told me to pay the correct fee and return this OWP application to Vegerville, AB. However, since I am out of status, this will not be approved until my sponsorship immigration is Approved in Principal, which is going to be in around 10-12 months. In addition, I was unable to meet the implied status as well at the same time.

Thenwe paid the correct fee right the way, and then send back the application to Vegerville.
At the same time, since my previous work permit just expired 2 months, I am still eligible to apply a Vsitor Visa so that I can legally stay in Canada. This action helped me a lot! Visitor Visa was approved within a week. I am back in status which means I am qualified to get sponsorship open work permit approved. Not surprisingly, my work permit was approved 2 months later.

I want to let you know. Don't give up! We phoned CIC about all these. Even though CIC representative told me Visitor Visa application usually takes about 4 months. The truth is, it was approved within a week! CIC told me my OWP will be approved only when AIP. The truth is, I got it 2 month later.

Anyway, just want to share my story. I hope this could help someone who is experiencing the same.
Hi, congrats on sorting out your situation. I'm thinking of applying for an extension of my visitor visa just in case my OWP gets refused for some reason (currently on implied status after my visitor visa expired on April 4th - so still within the 3 month range for restoration). My question is, how did you apply for restoration of Visitor Visa? By mail or online? Getting it approved within one week seems very fast so curious as the route you took for that as I may do the same for a backup plan for myself. Thanks!

JC98337

Jan 19, 2018
Hi, congrats on sorting out your situation. I'm thinking of applying for an extension of my visitor visa just in case my OWP gets refused for some reason (currently on implied status after my visitor visa expired on April 4th - so still within the 3 month range for restoration). My question is, how did you apply for restoration of Visitor Visa? By mail or online? Getting it approved within one week seems very fast so curious as the route you took for that as I may do the same for a backup plan for myself. Thanks!
If this is the case, i would suggest you to extend your visitor visa in case if OWP is returned you are still in status. You can just search for visitor visa application. If I remember it correctly, there is a checklist of all the documents you would need.
I applied it online. It's pretty fast they approve it.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
If this is the case, i would suggest you to extend your visitor visa in case if OWP is returned you are still in status. You can just search for visitor visa application. If I remember it correctly, there is a checklist of all the documents you would need.
I applied it online. It's pretty fast they approve it.
You are not extending a visa, you are extending your visitor status while already in Canada. They are very different things. A visa just helps you to get to Canada in the first place if you are in some other country.

When an OWP is returned like in your case, what you can do is to submit the new/corrected OWP app, in the same package as a Restoration of Status application. IRCC will restore status and process the new OWP app at the same time.

Gargoyle_Queen

Star Member
Dec 15, 2018
You are not extending a visa, you are extending your visitor status while already in Canada. They are very different things. A visa just helps you to get to Canada in the first place if you are in some other country.

When an OWP is returned like in your case, what you can do is to submit the new/corrected OWP app, in the same package as a Restoration of Status application. IRCC will restore status and process the new OWP app at the same time.
Hey sorry for asking , but I need help , we sent our sponsorship with open work permit , but they returned it because we forgot a signature , then my statut expired , we sent it again , we got AOR , Med request , Background chek , but when we called they said we can’t have OWP till AIP and it will take 6 to 7 months , do you know something that we can do ? I was on study permit , thank you

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Hey sorry for asking , but I need help , we sent our sponsorship with open work permit , but they returned it because we forgot a signature , then my statut expired , we sent it again , we got AOR , Med request , Background chek , but when we called they said we can’t have OWP till AIP and it will take 6 to 7 months , do you know something that we can do ? I was on study permit , thank you
If you sent the OWP app back while out of status and without restoring the status, then you indeed can't apply again til AIP. Given that AIP usually comes at the very end of the inland process (within a month or so from DM), it's usually not really worth it to apply at that point as you'll get your PR before the OWP.

tayrg

Jan 10, 2017
Hi, thank you all for explaining your situations. It helped a lot to understand how things work after you go out of status and also we shall never give up and try try again.

Now, here is my situation. I applied for PR and OWP one dec 2018. After two month, in mid feb I phoned IRCC and they told me that your application is in system and prospective applicant and you will soon get AOR; on the contrary, I received my application back because we forgot to answer a question in the application. Whereas, everything else was good.

Unfortunately, when the application back on March 2 I was already out of status because my visitor stay was until feb 28. So I was in trouble due to being overstay for 2 days and not able to resubmit my PR and OWP application. So I had to apply restoration of status so I can get back to implied status.

Finally, I have sent my restoration of status application today and now I am filling up all the forms again for PR and OWP with new dates and signatures and updated information.

Question: can I submit PR and OWP now while I am on implied status or I will have to wait until my restoration of status is approved and only than I can apply for OWP???? Please help !! Thanks

udaemon

Mar 7, 2019
App. Filed.......
11-03-2019
Hi, thank you all for explaining your situations. It helped a lot to understand how things work after you go out of status and also we shall never give up and try try again.

Now, here is my situation. I applied for PR and OWP one dec 2018. After two month, in mid feb I phoned IRCC and they told me that your application is in system and prospective applicant and you will soon get AOR; on the contrary, I received my application back because we forgot to answer a question in the application. Whereas, everything else was good.

Unfortunately, when the application back on March 2 I was already out of status because my visitor stay was until feb 28. So I was in trouble due to being overstay for 2 days and not able to resubmit my PR and OWP application. So I had to apply restoration of status so I can get back to implied status.

Finally, I have sent my restoration of status application today and now I am filling up all the forms again for PR and OWP with new dates and signatures and updated information.

Question: can I submit PR and OWP now while I am on implied status or I will have to wait until my restoration of status is approved and only than I can apply for OWP???? Please help !! Thanks
Hi just wondering what happened since your last update? Also, did you have to pay for OWP again when you applied for restoration of status or attached the same receipt?

tayrg

Jan 10, 2017
Hi just wondering what happened since your last update? Also, did you have to pay for OWP again when you applied for restoration of status or attached the same receipt?
I have received my AOR a week ago; whereas, my “restoration of status” application is still in process.

Alasabie

Mar 13, 2019
Hello everyone, unfortunately I am in the same situation as many others, my OWP was returned due to missing payment, now I am out of status but still within the 90 days, I am just confused on where is the application of restoring status? The IRCC today told me that it's the same OWP application I just need to check one of the boxes that says restoration of status, now I opened my OWP application and j don't have such option, there is only restore my status as a worker, but this is my first time I apply for OWP, it shouldn't be this one right?

ktmelic

May 30, 2019
Hello everyone, unfortunately I am in the same situation as many others, my OWP was returned due to missing payment, now I am out of status but still within the 90 days, I am just confused on where is the application of restoring status? The IRCC today told me that it's the same OWP application I just need to check one of the boxes that says restoration of status, now I opened my OWP application and j don't have such option, there is only restore my status as a worker, but this is my first time I apply for OWP, it shouldn't be this one right?
Yes check the "restore my status as a worker" and "apply for a work permit" with new or same employer which ever applies to you. You should be OK. Resubmit it with a letter explaining what happened why you're "out of status"

Alasabie

Mar 13, 2019
Yes check the "restore my status as a worker" and "apply for a work permit" with new or same employer which ever applies to you. You should be OK. Resubmit it with a letter explaining what happened why you're "out of status"
So even that I don't have an employer neither new or old and that I never had a work permit, as I am applying for PR, I still choose restore as a worker. Thanks for the help buddy