+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OWP returned from Mississauga Office - please help

gallagher11

Star Member
Jul 26, 2020
Hi everyone. My wife unfortunately got her OWP sent back yesterday (we are inland + OWP applicants).

They sent the OWP back with a letter saying that the issue was "Insufficient processing fees were provided with your application." The letter also says to resubmit the paper application directly to the CPC in Edmonton.

Did anyone else get their OWP sent back? I have a few questions related to this.

1) On the OWP document checklist, it says "Note: if you are applying for an OWP, provide proof of payment for the Open Work Permit Holder fee." How do we do this if there is no breakdown of the fee payment on the receipt that you get? It only shows the total amount that you pay.

2) I guess the OWP fee should total $155 + $100 (OWP holder fee) + $85 (biometrics) = $340. Can anyone confirm that this is the total paid for the OWP? Really want to make sure that this is done correctly. An overpayment is fine if they will return the difference, but I don't want to underpay...

3) Do I resubmit the package as-is and not update anything on the actual form? The first page of the form is stamped "Received Mar. 04 2020 CPC Mississauga" so I assume this is fine and all they want now is proof of payment of the correct fees even if there is "old" information on the form. For instance, one of the pages states that my wife's status is as a visitor in Canada and is set to expire on August 18, 2020. Of course, this date has come to pass but she applied for an extension for her visitor status online a couple of weeks before it expired (it is still being processed/reviewed, so she has implied status). We are thinking of including a sticky note in the application package stating this, just so that they don't see the August 18 date and think that she is out of status.

Thanks in anticipation for the help/advice anyone.

Last edited:

Mice

Star Member
Mar 19, 2020
When did you send your application?
check this :https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/updates/2020-pr-fees.html

2) 340$ is correct. https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/result.asp?countrySelect=CA&lob=wp
You can check again total fee you have to pay by answering those questions here https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/fee-wizard/welcome
Then, using this to correct your fee https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/epay/order.do?category=10115&lang=en, put your previous receipt with this new correct fee receipt.

3) you can resubmit your package with new update from application fee and Relate to your wife status If you have a copy of visitor application that you submitted by email or any show that application was received/sent to cic (being processed/reviewed). However, they may need to confirm your wife visitor status has approved, otherwise they will not process her work permit application.

Last edited:

gallagher11

Star Member
Jul 26, 2020
Thanks Mice.

We submitted the PR + OWP in early March. They just sent back the OWP, so I'm hoping that means that everything with the PR application (including the fee) is fine

Mice

Star Member
Mar 19, 2020
Thanks Mice.

We submitted the PR + OWP in early March. They just sent back the OWP, so I'm hoping that means that everything with the PR application (including the fee) is fine
because everybody (included us) only saw “total amount”, so “Insufficient processing fees” mean anything left from total amount they calculate that you need to correct. I don’t know what total you have paid, you need to calculate by yourself on the link I showed you. And remember you don't have to correct new fee they updated I believe your PR fee be count On March.

Reactions: gallagher11

gallagher11

Star Member
Jul 26, 2020
because everybody (included us) only saw “total amount”, so “Insufficient processing fees” mean anything left from total amount they calculate that you need to correct. I don’t know what total you have paid, you need to calculate by yourself on the link I showed you. And remember you don't have to correct new fee they updated I believe your PR fee be count On March.
Yeah, I'm certain that I underpaid the OWP by $100 the first time around. The frustrating thing is that they just sent the OWP back saying that "insufficient fees were provided". They didn't specify a difference that I have to pay. So it's like the $240 I paid for it the first time is just down the toilet, unless they can account for this amount later (I'm not getting my hopes up for them to do this).

This is what their website says. They did the former and not the latter (didn't tell me how much to pay), so it's like they didn't receive any amount of the initial fees I paid at all.

Incorrect fee payment
Incorrect fee payments may delay processing.

Payment issue – No fee included
We will return your application.

Note: We will start processing of your application after you return your application with the fees.

Payment issue – Not enough fees included
We will return your application and tell you of how much to pay.

Note: We will start processing your application once you return your application with the correct fees.

Mice

Star Member
Mar 19, 2020
Yeah, I'm certain that I underpaid the OWP by $100 the first time around. The frustrating thing is that they just sent the OWP back saying that "insufficient fees were provided". They didn't specify a difference that I have to pay. So it's like the $240 I paid for it the first time is just down the toilet, unless they can account for this amount later (I'm not getting my hopes up for them to do this).

This is what their website says. They did the former and not the latter (didn't tell me how much to pay), so it's like they didn't receive any amount of the initial fees I paid at all.

Incorrect fee payment
Incorrect fee payments may delay processing.

Payment issue – No fee included
We will return your application.

Note: We will start processing of your application after you return your application with the fees.

Payment issue – Not enough fees included
We will return your application and tell you of how much to pay.

Note: We will start processing your application once you return your application with the correct fees.
You can ask for a refund $240, and you pay again total correct fee. They won’t take your money if your application has been sent back.

sameera11

Jul 29, 2017
Hi SOWP fee is 255 when applying with full application to CPC M office
How come it’s 340 now
I think you don’t need to pay 85 Bio fee again if you have paid with spousal application 1135
Pls confirm SOWP fee is 255 OR 340
Any one know plz guide

sameera11

Jul 29, 2017
Application fee 1050
Biometric fee 85
Total 1135 ( one payment receipt )
255 OWP ( second receipt with OWP application plus extra set of supporting documents copies )
Is the correct please share

gallagher11

Star Member
Jul 26, 2020
Gallagher11@ pls check and make sure with other fellow member before resending application again
I think you are correct about not having to pay the biometrics fee twice, so for you it should be $255. However I just included the biometrics fee in my resubmission of this form because they told me to provide proof of payment and send it to the Edmonton office separately.

They refund you if you accidentally overpay. I'm hoping they will do that in this case. However I wanted to avoid any possibility of having them think that I underpaid and then send the form back again.

Reactions: Mice

jsalcedo

Apr 28, 2021
@gallagher11 How did this affect your application processing times? Did the "timer" reset to start from zero, or how longer did it take to receive the OWP?

(I just received my returned application for the same reason).

Thanks!

gallagher11

Star Member
Jul 26, 2020
@gallagher11 How did this affect your application processing times? Did the "timer" reset to start from zero, or how longer did it take to receive the OWP?

(I just received my returned application for the same reason).

Thanks!
Yep, unfortunately the timer did reset to zero once it was sent back to us. I remember we sent it back to the Edmonton office on Oct. 8th and the application was approved on Feb. 15th (5 days before my wife got CoPR... lol).

Nshilu

Nov 10, 2021
Yep, unfortunately the timer did reset to zero once it was sent back to us. I remember we sent it back to the Edmonton office on Oct. 8th and the application was approved on Feb. 15th (5 days before my wife got CoPR... lol).
Hi @gallagher11 and/or @Mice - we are in a similar situation. However, I have not yet applied for the restoration of visitors status yet, should I apply that first and then re-mail as per the instruction by attaching the receipt for remaining $155 ? or should I leave the two separate and apply for restoration online ?

Note: due to current timelines, our PR application is at "Medical Passed" status so we may get our PR by the time we sort this madness.

Appreciate your help on this.

Reactions: gallagher11