+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OWP restrictions

marpou

Star Member
Mar 12, 2018
Northern Manitoba
So, I just received my OWP in the mail today and it states that I am not authorized to work in childcare or primary/secondary school teaching. I do, however, hope to get a job as a substitute teacher or teaching assistant (or other related positions) after the summer, once the new school year begins.

I know I need to get a medical exam done to be authorized, so my question is, if this would be the same medical exam I’m gonna have done eventually for my PR application? And would I then after that be authorized, or would I still need to apply to change my conditions?

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
So, I just received my OWP in the mail today and it states that I am not authorized to work in childcare or primary/secondary school teaching. I do, however, hope to get a job as a substitute teacher or teaching assistant (or other related positions) after the summer, once the new school year begins.

I know I need to get a medical exam done to be authorized, so my question is, if this would be the same medical exam I’m gonna have done eventually for my PR application? And would I then after that be authorized, or would I still need to apply to change my conditions?
You have to apply to change the conditions - getting the medical doesn't automatically authorize you. Follow the steps linked by Wakki above.

The medical will be the same one you get for your PR application and can be used for both.

Reactions: marpou

marpou

Star Member
Mar 12, 2018
Northern Manitoba
You have to apply to change the conditions - getting the medical doesn't automatically authorize you. Follow the steps linked by Wakki above.

The medical will be the same one you get for your PR application and can be used for both.
Awesome - thanks!
So it would probably be best for me to wait until I get the medical request for the PR application and then send the request to have my OWP conditions change after?

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Awesome - thanks!
So it would probably be best for me to wait until I get the medical request for the PR application and then send the request to have my OWP conditions change after?
It's up to you. You can get it now and submit the same results when you get your medical request for your app, just keep in mind it expires in 12 months

marpou

Star Member
Mar 12, 2018
Northern Manitoba
It's up to you. You can get it now and submit the same results when you get your medical request for your app, just keep in mind it expires in 12 months
I don’t actually have to wait to get the formal request? I just thought that I had read somewhere in these forums that you have to wait for the request, because the doctor has to be able to see that you were requested to do the medical exam or something like that.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
I don’t actually have to wait to get the formal request? I just thought that I had read somewhere in these forums that you have to wait for the request, because the doctor has to be able to see that you were requested to do the medical exam or something like that.
For the sponsorship app, yes. For the work permit app, no.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just so you know you must attend teacher's college to teach in a Canadian public school. In many of the private schools the teachers also have attended teachers college but it is not required.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Just to echo with canuck78's reply. Many schools and childcare need some level of certification or degree.

For BC public schools here is the info for certification. It's a post-degree program.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/education-training/administration/legislation-policy/public-schools/teacher-certification

Most teachers start with TOC (teachers on call).

Private schools are mostly run by religious organizations. You may be able to get an teaching assistant job without local schooling/teaching certificate.
There are special programs for early childhood education. There are more private childcare (compare to public vs private schools). So they may not require everyone to have certification to work there.

Aug 20, 2018
Hi Guys,
Can anybody tell me if any of you have got any updates for the spouse open work permit visa status.
Since i have applied on 25th July 2018 from India and by then only i did not received any updates in the visa status yet. It has been more than six weeks now.

Please let me know if any one of you have got any response in this time span. :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Guys,
Can anybody tell me if any of you have got any updates for the spouse open work permit visa status.
Since i have applied on 25th July 2018 from India and by then only i did not received any updates in the visa status yet. It has been more than six weeks now.

Please let me know if any one of you have got any response in this time span. :)
Takes around 4 months usually but seems to be taking longer recently/.