+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OWP on the basis of spouse for Visitor in Canada

bantapatel

Apr 4, 2018
Hi All,

Hoping you can help me again. I have a BOWP expiring November 2018. I got married in May and had to return my COPR and the CEC PR application is still in process after adding my spouse to it. Meanwhile, my spouse has come to Canada on a Visitor Visa, he came on Aug 3, 2018 and immediately applied for an open work permit online. Now he called CIC call centre and the agent said he should've applied from New York. We started collecting documents for a paper application to apply in NY but one of the documents they ask for is LMIA and he doesn't have one. My husband is applying solely based on my permit. We called the NYC Vac and the agent there said we can write a letter of explanation stating that this is for Open work permit. I called CIC again to confirm and this time the agent said completely opposite. She said if a family member of a work permit holder needs to apply then they can apply from within Canada not New York.

What should I do in this situation, please? Does anyone know the details of what applications of Non-US citizens can go to New York, on the website it says Work Permit applications but does not specify which one. We have a US visa and can go submit the application immediately.

Really appreciate any thoughts on this, we are extremely confused about the process to be followed and different things said by CIC agents.

Also, if anyone can guide me on processing times for my PR application after adding my spouse, that would be great. It's currently been 3 months that I added him to my application.