+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OWP Medical Restrictions (Spousal Sponsorship)

Baebline

Jan 16, 2018
Hi!

I'm looking to apply for a position as a retail pharmacy assistant but now I'm thinking I might not be able to do that...

I was under the impression that I wouldn't need to get my medical done in order to lift the restrictions on my OWP since I don't technically work "hands on" with patients what so ever. I simply count medications and cash people out, that's it. While I'm still in the "realm" of health care, it's not a job that requires certification.

Does anyone know if it's true that I need to get a medical done for this job specifically?

I could see perhaps if I was working in a hospital setting that it would maybe be required, but in retail?

Does anyone know where I can call to ask about this?

It just seems really stupid to me.

thanks

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - it's a health services job. You'll be handing medication. So you would need to take the medical and get the restrictions lifted from your OWP before you would be able to work in this role.

Baebline

Jan 16, 2018
Yes - it's a health services job. You'll be handing medication. So you would need to take the medical and get the restrictions lifted from your OWP before you would be able to work in this role.
Ugh, that's ridiculous.

Pharmacy assistants are just glorified cashiers....

cindyestteacher

Nov 16, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-08-2018
Doc's Request.
15-11-2018
AOR Received.
13-09-2018
Med's Request
15-11-2018
Med's Done....
28-11-2018
@Baebline Did you have to give any sort of work verification for your OWP?
Your timeframe looks awesome! I hit month 3 yesterday and received my medical request the day before.
Do you think I will hold my OWP until I finish my medical? I am a little confused if the medical goes along with the OWP or is it more in the PR app area.
@scylla I am hoping the best for you. I"ve heard you can get the ban lifted with the medical. Good luck!!

Baebline

Jan 16, 2018
@Baebline Did you have to give any sort of work verification for your OWP?
Your timeframe looks awesome! I hit month 3 yesterday and received my medical request the day before.
Do you think I will hold my OWP until I finish my medical? I am a little confused if the medical goes along with the OWP or is it more in the PR app area.
@scylla I am hoping the best for you. I"ve heard you can get the ban lifted with the medical. Good luck!!

It honestly depends on where you work.

Some places will take a copy of the actual permit while others won't bother with it.

I'm almost positive that in order to get paid, the business has to submit something in regards to the government to show proof that you are eligible to work that position, therefore showing if you have restrictions or not.

IF you were planning to work in childcare/medical field, you should have submitted an UPFRONT medical WITH the application package (together with the PR and OWP). This would allow you to receive an OWP without restrictions.

The medical REQUEST you receive from CIC has to do with your PR application, not the OWP. They are handled separately after your package is delivered.

A lot of people are getting their medical requests ahead of their work permit, HOWEVER it will NOT affect the restrictions that you will have on your OWP (Due to them being handled separately).

The ONLY way to lift your restrictions after your application is receive is to either apply to change your OWP conditions online (and wait 3 MORE months) or try to go to the boarder to see if the officer will lift them.

Keep in mind, to do either of these things your medical MUST be passed already.

You also must show proof of the medical being done as well as being passed (Print out of your CIC page show passed).

Now I'm not sure if you absolutely HAVE to have the full medical report or if you can use the receipts from it.

But

I'm actually planning to try and get mine lifted in the next few weeks so I'll be sure to update this post with a clear answer.

Hope this helped clear up some things! :)