+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OWP For Spouse

ak_1984

Jul 18, 2016
I and my wife recently arrived in Canada from India. I am on a study permit to purse education and wife is on TRV. She wants to work here and we are considering options for getting her a work permit. A friend suggested me that she can go for open work permit as I am on a study permit. In this regard I have a few questions:

1. Can she apply for open work permit from inside Canada based on my status and her visitor VISA ?
2. If #1 is not possible, does she needs to travel back to India to get the open work permit ?

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
ak_1984 said:
I and my wife recently arrived in Canada from India. I am on a study permit to purse education and wife is on TRV. She wants to work here and we are considering options for getting her a work permit. A friend suggested me that she can go for open work permit as I am on a study permit. In this regard I have a few questions:

1. Can she apply for open work permit from inside Canada based on my status and her visitor VISA ?
2. If #1 is not possible, does she needs to travel back to India to get the open work permit ?
Yes, she can apply from within Canada. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5553ETOC.asp

Normally, a work permit must be applied for prior to coming to Canada. Only in a few special circumstances presented in this guide can an initial work permit be applied for within Canada:

you presently hold a valid study or work permit;
you are the spouse of a study or work permit holder;
you were previously authorized to work without a permit;
you presently hold a valid Temporary Resident Permit;
you are a refugee claimant or an applicant for permanent residence in Canada under section 207 of the IRPR, or
you are a trader or investor, intra-company transferee or professional under NAFTA.
See C42 here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/policy.asp

OWP2015Dec

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
ak_1984 said:

In addition to what frege has mentioned, your wife can do a flagpole at a Canadian POE (such as Niagara Falls) in order to obtain her OWP and so, may not need to travel back to India.

Sheiz

Jun 17, 2016
Hi!

How did you manage to get trv for your wife?
Some said its hard to get.

What all documents and funds you showed to convince the officer?

Victor paul

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
Bangalore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17/06/2016
VISA ISSUED...
16/08/2016
LANDED..........
13/09/2016
You lucky to get her trv.. here including me counting days and weeks in mobile apps. Anyways all the best