+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OWP for SPOUSE SPONSORSHIP

mannj

Dec 21, 2015
Hello Everyone,
I am planning to get married to a guy who is in canada on visitor visa. Will i be able to apply for his OWP with PR application simultaneously or do i need to wait for the file number for the PR before we apply for his OWP? And what's the processing time for OWP?
Thanks!

MayaM

Jan 17, 2016
Hey,

since 2015 there is a pilot programm that allows you to apply for both at the same time. Make sure you send both to the processing centre TOGETHER. Like obviously as separate applications (according to the checklists) but in one envelope.
The processing time for the work permit is about 4-5 month, the Inland PR is at over 2 years at the moment.
For the work permit make sure to apply for the OPEN work permit (if thats what he needs) and pay both fees ($100 and &150).
It is also very helpful to do the medical exam upfront. It will save processing time eventually and this way he has everything done in one go etc. it took almost a full day when I did it because of all the waiting times inbetween (it is a general exam, a chest exray and bloodwork). It was about $450 in total for me.

Maya