+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OWP for Spouse - Principal on PGWP

genxmz

Mar 1, 2021
I suspect with recent Covid-19 situations a number of forum members might be in a situation similar to ours. My spouse was on OWP as I studied. She even managed to find a job within her NOC as a QA Analyst. I completed my studies in 2020 during the Covid lockdowns and graduated. I applied for my PGWP but it took quite some time for my PGWP to come out in Nov 2020. My spouse hadn't applied for OWP because her OWP still had a few months left on it (one Immigration Consultant who looked at our case said this situation was a lucky situation for us, ideally her initial OWP would be expiring together with my Study Permit in 2020).

Anyway, I finally got my PGWP and she immediately applied for OWP extension. We were hoping to cite that I had just received my PGWP and had just started looking for work and so couldn't attach the required 3 pay slips. We also thought that the fact that she was already working (even if on a 3-month contract) in a Skilled Job as Quality Analyst. This turned out to be a miscalculation as her application was denied and OWP immediately expired with the response from IRCC. She had to stop working, and now we have 90 days to restore her status.

Fortunately, I now have a job after a few months of searching. But we aren't so sure if it will be classified as "skilled". In addition, the job contract is part-time, through an employment agency and the letter I got from the agency says so. The contract is for 2 months (I know the "possibility of extension" won't matter to the Case Officer). A few questions...
* For the first week, I have worked 35 hours - which I think would qualify as full-time, being over 30 hours worked a week? The agency indicates that I may end up working more than 30 hours every week for the duration of my contract, and possibly even get an extension. But all this is verbal - nothing confirmed. Does this count or does the contract wording as "part-time" disqualify my job for sponsoring her OWP?
* Should we apply for OWP restore or is it prudent to first apply for TRV? This is because we think the officer might not concur with the classification of my job as skilled, or the limited 2-month contract, or "part-time" wording on the agency letter
* If we apply for her OWP restoration and it is denied for whichever reason, would she have to leave immeidiately or will she have an opportunity to then apply for TRV then?
* If she decides to switch to TRV right now (to restore her status instead of OWP) are there additional requirements? Like do I need a certain level of income or should we have some funds saved?
* The agency pays us weekly. Does the requirement for 3 payslips have an implied time period to it? That is, can we apply after I get my third pay stub, or perhaps should we wait for 6 weeks now that I am paid weekly instead of bi-weekly?

Sorry for the long post, but I think the situation and replies(I hope) might benefit others.

Jagjot756

Feb 24, 2021
Hi. Please let me know can we do 2 full time job on pgwp if we are applying for sowp visa from india. I am on pgwp

genxmz

Mar 1, 2021
AFAIK, a PGWP is an open work permit in itself in that you are not restricted to a particular employer. So I don't see how having two jobs would be a problem - except if the total weekly hours are impractical for someone to do. But even then, I don't see how a case officer would necessarily have a problem with that except examine your case more closely...anyway, I am a newbie so I will let the experts weigh in.

If I were you though, I'd just choose one job to use to support the OWP. Both jobs are skilled, right?