+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OWP after spousal AOR

pugilist

Oct 4, 2018
Hi applying for OWP and have a few queries regarding for IMM5710. History - my spouse came to Canada in Oct 2021 on visitor visa, travelled back to home country in Apr 2022 and returned in May 2022. Her visitor visa expires July 2023

What should we fill in these questions:
Q7 : Current country of residence? From date and to?
A Canada, May 2022 to July 2023

Q. Date and place of initial entry to Canada?
Oct 2021, Toronto

Q. Date and place of last entry to Canada?
May 2022 Toronto

Are these answers correct?

Reactions: italiano1987

italiano1987

May 28, 2012
Hi applying for OWP and have a few queries regarding for IMM5710. History - my spouse came to Canada in Oct 2021 on visitor visa, travelled back to home country in Apr 2022 and returned in May 2022. Her visitor visa expires July 2023

What should we fill in these questions:
Q7 : Current country of residence? From date and to?
A Canada, May 2022 to July 2023

Q. Date and place of initial entry to Canada?
Oct 2021, Toronto

Q. Date and place of last entry to Canada?
May 2022 Toronto

Are these answers correct?
That sounds about right, yeah.

Question though, did you apply by paper or online?

I've received the aor last week but I can't find any way to apply for OWP for my wife. How are you filing your application?

Reactions: MerLrx

MerLrx

Jun 10, 2022
That sounds about right, yeah.

Question though, did you apply by paper or online?

I've received the aor last week but I can't find any way to apply for OWP for my wife. How are you filing your application?
following this thread I am having the exact same issue, can't seem to find out how to apply

italiano1987

May 28, 2012
following this thread I am having the exact same issue, can't seem to find out how to apply
It's ridiculous. I called them and they told me she must wait until her application is approved in principle, but the site says otherwise! It clearly says she can apply once we receive the AoR, but again.. there's no specific portal for it.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
It's ridiculous. I called them and they told me she must wait until her application is approved in principle, but the site says otherwise! It clearly says she can apply once we receive the AoR, but again.. there's no specific portal for it.
Does PA has a valid status now? (implied/maintance, visitor, student permit, work permit) If PA does have valid status, she/he can apply for OWP after AOR.
If PA doesn't have valid status, then PA needs to wait till AIP to apply for OWP. (And it's almost pointless... )

Call centre may be confused with the instruction. again proof of them not being well trainned.

MerLrx

Jun 10, 2022
Does PA has a valid status now? (implied/maintance, visitor, student permit, work permit) If PA does have valid status, she/he can apply for OWP after AOR.
If PA doesn't have valid status, then PA needs to wait till AIP to apply for OWP. (And it's almost pointless... )

Call centre may be confused with the instruction. again proof of them not being well trainned.
Hi, thanks for replying, I am currently on a valid visitor record / visa ( expires OCT 2023) I have gotten my AOR but unable to apply for OWP because I do not see that option when I login to cic and answer questionaire

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi, thanks for replying, I am currently on a valid visitor record / visa ( expires OCT 2023) I have gotten my AOR but unable to apply for OWP because I do not see that option when I login to cic and answer questionaire
I see. So you got a new visitor extension/visitor record for a year.
Sorry that I am not familiar with the online option.... Hopefully other members can help.

MerLrx

Jun 10, 2022

italiano1987

May 28, 2012
The link is very useful I've saved it now I am trying to find a portal or a way to start the application.
unsure where to start applying it mentions cic login but could not find any way to do it there
Yup, stuck exactly at this. PA has valid status. AoR received.. but this page mentioned has a link to a portal to apply, but the link leads to nowhere. The URL is different from others I've seen.

https://portal-portail-development.apps.cic.gc.ca/signin?lang=en

The fact that "development" is in the link, leads me to believe there is no page, or they're still working on this spouse-specific portal.

If you delete "development", it leads to a ircc portal login page, but to register you need an invitation code. :rolleyes:

italiano1987

May 28, 2012
That's strange, for me, that page takes me to the normal portal at:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account.html

What I did was:
log in, then under "Start an application", then click on "apply to come to Canada", then under "I don't have a personal code" select "work permit"
Buut... in doing so... you end up in two paths.. If you say you want to apply for a work permit because you want to join your family in Canada, it will eventually lead to apply for Spousal Sponsorship, which.. we already did.

If instead you just say you want to work, it will lead you to the express entry path, which.. will ask you for an english test and so on, which is not required by spousal sponsorship. So... we're all stuck.

Reactions: MerLrx

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Buut... in doing so... you end up in two paths.. If you say you want to apply for a work permit because you want to join your family in Canada, it will eventually lead to apply for Spousal Sponsorship, which.. we already did.

If instead you just say you want to work, it will lead you to the express entry path, which.. will ask you for an english test and so on, which is not required by spousal sponsorship. So... we're all stuck.
Could very well be yet another glitch with their new process. It was only recently that they made some rather clunky changes, including not allowing an Inland applicant with legal status to include the OWP with the Inland sponsorship application...which seemed to be working just fine before.

Good luck!

henrik_12345

Sep 19, 2022
I just tried the questionary again, and it worked for me:

my selection on first page:
Work
Temporarily - More than 6 months
A family member who is Canadian citizen or pr, YES

a few pages later you have a question:
Does one of the following apply to you?
  • I am applying for an open work permit under an active public policy or pilot program announced by IRCC.
select YES,

The rest on the page NO

And then you should have it.

Reactions: Vasun

Vasun

Dec 11, 2022
I just tried the questionary again, and it worked for me:

my selection on first page:
Work
Temporarily - More than 6 months
A family member who is Canadian citizen or pr, YES

a few pages later you have a question:
Does one of the following apply to you?
  • I am applying for an open work permit under an active public policy or pilot program announced by IRCC.
select YES,

The rest on the page NO

And then you should have it.
Thanks! Works!