+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Owner operated LMIA group

vinodac

Jul 19, 2020
To get LMIA approval, you need to convince the officer that how can you be beneficial to Canadian Economy. How much jobs you will be creating and why you need to be here in Canada ? I suggest you not to buy a business if you want to save money. Just incorporate a new company, make some initial investment like office lease, office equipment, start payroll and apply for LMIA. I still advise you to start your business from scratch if possible and follow your business plan. If not, then there is always an option to buy an active business and apply for LMIA instantly.

Hope it helps!!

Regards
Sahil
Dear Sahil, thank you very much for your prompt response. Do you recommend any good consultant with whom i can be associated with for the entire process? Also how much investment should we show to get more success of getting 200 points. I want to do the trading business related to oil & gas industry related products, as i have project engineering and management experience for more than 15 years but no business experience as such.
One consultant has given me below feedback, which i am doubtful!
"It has to be an investment, you'd have to come, open the business, work in it for at least a year, pass all the compliance reviews and only then apply for LMIA for 200 points."

Wouldn't you mind to share me your contact details / whatsapp number so that i can chat with you personally!

vinodac

Jul 19, 2020
LMIA Owner Operator: To get this you need to EITHER - buy out the majority share (50.1% or more) in an existing business in Canada OR set one up from scratch/expand/transplant your existing business into Canada. There is no capital investment requirement and no specific amount of cash you have to show you have access to but if you're going to buy a business it's quite likely that you have a pool of cash you can tap into.

If you're a sole proprietor/freelancer then you may not need any substantial capital investments up front for your business (for instance, I am a freelance sound engineer. I need my ears and the things I know about sound to run my business and that's it). Therefore, your business plan is going to have to be a work of art to get an LMIA.

You submit a detailed business plan, your LMIA Application paperwork and the LMIA application fee (currently $1000) and then an officer from ESDC assesses your application. They will likely invite you in for an interview to discuss your business proposal and you really had better know your business and business plan inside and out, upside down and back to front.

You will have to demonstrate that you will be providing value (financially, culturally and in terms of the wider Jobs Market) to Canada and Canadian life. There is a stipulation that you need to hire at least 1 Canadian or Permanent Resident. You are exempt from the advertising requirements of most LMIA applications as you are seeking to hire yourself to do a job that only you can do.

If you are granted the LMIA you then apply for a Temporary Work Permit as per any foreign worker as you are effectively hiring yourself as your first employee.

That's all there is to it. That doesn't mean that it's an easy way in. The benchmarks for "Canadian Benefit" are pretty high and rigorously enforced.

A lot of people on this thread seem to be confusing LMIA-OO with other Entrepreneur streams. This is NOT a direct route to PR; this is a route to a work permit which will give you Canadian Work Experience that you can transfer to EE under the Canadian Experience Class.

There is another similar route that is likely even more difficult to get: LMIA Exempt TWP. In order to get this one you have to demonstrate that your working in Canada is of great value to Canada, more so even than under the LMIA-OO route. Refer to International Mobility Program Section 205 Exemption Code C11 for more details.

Just a quick note: I am not a legal consultant, I am not legally authorised to offer legal advice so don't ask, also, I will not be handing out my phone number so we can WhatsApp offline with anyone so again, don't ask.
Hi, thanks for your elaborate post. But i want to ask when we will get 200 or 50 points of LMIA which can be amended in EE? i.e. after running the business or after LMIA is granted? Also, can we file PR based on this 200 points and EE points and if we get PR, is it mandatory to continue with this business or can take any other assignment?

canadavisaQs

Aug 15, 2019
Hi, thanks for your elaborate post. But i want to ask when we will get 200 or 50 points of LMIA which can be amended in EE? i.e. after running the business or after LMIA is granted? Also, can we file PR based on this 200 points and EE points and if we get PR, is it mandatory to continue with this business or can take any other assignment?
once the LMIA is granted, it is valid for 6 months and during those 6 months you have 50 or 200 Points to use under express entry