+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Owing Government Taxes when Applying for Citizenship

postdoc544

Jan 18, 2014
Hello;

I owe CRA several thousand dollars in tax. I filed for citizenship past October 2017 and I got a file number. I am wondering if owing tax will have any negative effect on my application? Anyone any knowledge with this regard?

rrlmushu

Star Member
Sep 25, 2014
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-12-2013
Doc's Request.
25-09-2014
Nomination.....
23-11-2013
AOR Received.
04-02-2014
IELTS Request
27-12-2013
File Transfer...
30-06-2014 to Ottawa CPC
Med's Request
04-02-2014
Med's Done....
08-03-2014
Interview........
Non required
As long as you filled taxes, thats all they care... unless CRA is willing to prosecute you for owing taxes (which is almost impossible unles you owe like BIG amount) you are clear... if you read the application guide, instructions and memos on IRCC website, you would find your answers...

So, read and investigate a little bit, and all your answers will be revealed

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
Hello;

I owe CRA several thousand dollars in tax. I filed for citizenship past October 2017 and I got a file number. I am wondering if owing tax will have any negative effect on my application? Anyone any knowledge with this regard?
I think that you'll be fine with your citizenship application as long as you've filed tax returns for the requisite years and you've established a monthly installment payment plan with CRA (e.g., regularly paying them $100- per month).

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
As it stands now:

"Roles of IRCC and the CRA
IRCC is responsible only for assessing whether the applicant met the income tax filing requirement of the Citizenship Act. Citizenship officers are not responsible for interpreting the Income Tax Act to determine tax compliance. At present, IRCC does not yet have the necessary agreements in place to return information to the CRA to assist the CRA with their investigations/enforcement. Work is ongoing to develop procedures to allow IRCC to advise the CRA of potential issues with tax filing history."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/residence/income-tax-filing.html

Reactions: ChippyBoy

coloapnosis

Jan 3, 2019
Hi, sorry for reviving an old thread but just wanted to find out what happened. @postdoc544, did your application go through? I am in the same predicament, I am looking to apply for citizenship but owed some <$4k in tax dollars last year for receiving my severance after getting laid off the year prior to last. Was wondering if your application was successful. Thanks!