+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

overstaying in canada while inland spousal application is in process??

ANAR3036

Mar 11, 2016
Hi I am a British citizen and have applied for spousal sponsorship inland. I came on a tourist visa (180 days) and have well overstayed by around a year, I received a letter stating my application has been processed onto the Right of permanent residence fee stage, having said this I still need a legal status within Canada, I also applied for a work permit which when I called cic was on hold due to no eligible status in this moment of time and will be decided by July of 2016 what can I do to obtain a legal status, can I apply for a temporary visitors visa even though I have overstayed for so long?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
At this point it's not possible for you to restore your status from within Canada. You would have to physically leave the country and re-enter.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not sure why you've started this thread in the Citizenship forum, but...

You can [probably] remain in Canada and once you have first stage approval (AIP), you will be eligible for the regular OWP. Even those without status will get an OWP after they have AIP.

When did you submit the Inland application? You should have AIP somewhere ~ the 17 month mark...hopefully.

Leaving Canada with an Inland application already submitted and having been out of status for so long, is a bad idea, IMO.

ANAR3036

Mar 11, 2016
sorry about the wrong thread I didn't realize,

I submitted the inland application on Jan 9th 2015 i submitted my medical, RPRF and now I am scheduled to wait for my PPR, on THE RPRF letter I received states that I must have a temporary legal status in Canada which was outdated 3 months when I arrived in Canada, so I assume nothing more should be done in regards to obtaining any legal stay in Canada, I was only confused about my work permit as the cic agent that I called had said that it was on hold due to my ineligible status but will be finalized in July of this year :s I didn't understand what he was talking about and i don't understand why my work permit is taking so long :(

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AFAIK, legal status is NOT a requirement for an Inland applicant, because the Public Policy that was introduced back in Feb 2005 is still in place.

The reason that it's taking so long for your OWP, is because you are out of status. Once you have AIP, you will be able to apply for the OWP.

ANAR3036

Mar 11, 2016
Ponga said:
AFAIK, legal status is NOT a requirement for an Inland applicant, because the Public Policy that was introduced back in Feb 2005 is still in place.

The reason that it's taking so long for your OWP, is because you are out of status. Once you have AIP, you will be able to apply for the OWP.
Thank you so much for your reply I really do appreciate it I'm 23 and my first spousal application I did three years ago went horribly wrong due to my lack of knowledge feels like I can finally breathe!