+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overstayed WHV by 2 years chances of being let back in ?

thewildone

May 5, 2014
I am an Australian Citizen, 30 yo white male, if that matters, I came initially to Canada in 08 on my WHV stayed 5 months, left, went to the UK, then re entered Canada on my WHV.

I ended up overstaying my visa by 2 years or so, I genuinely ran out of money (long story), had no way to get home, ive got no family or anyone that gave a sh*t enough to help me finacially, I was stuck there. Im not blaming anyone, I WAS STUPID ! I put myself in that position, my life was a mess, I was even homeless in Toronto for a while before some friends took me in in Quebec. Believe it or not I was never working illegally there, I couldnt speak a word of french so I worked online (taught myself from scratch) and eventually made and saved enough for my ticket home. I never received any departure orders or anything, never arrested, nothing.

I voluntarily left in June 2012.

Now Ive been home a while, ive established myself, secure job, plenty of money and wish to return to QC around christmas this year for a 2 week ski holiday and to see friends to whom im eternally indebted. Then ill leave again (seriously this time lol).
What are the chances they will let me back in ? My passport was not stamped or viewed by anyone other than the securty and the airline people. Im on a new one now as that one expired anyway. So there will be about a 2 - 2 1/2 year gap .

Would going over a land border, ie fly into NY and bus to MTL make a difference instead of flying into MTL make a difference ? would having a girl marry me make a difference ?

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to spend more time in that amazing country, I cant seem to forget it now matter how hard I try, and want to do everything by the book but am afraid Ive ruined my chances for life.

I see this type of question asked by other members, how ever frustratingly they never update their threads to we can see what happened with their situation.

thanks for your time.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
As you are visa-exempt, the only thing that you can do is try. You may sail through the Primary Line with no problems as a visitor, or you may get sent to Secondary Inspection, where they will possibly "tear you a new one". Nobody here will be able to give you any guarantees on your likelihood of success. Make sure that you can virtually "prove" that you will return home...

If you were not visa-exempt, I would say, "don't even bother to apply".

thewildone

May 5, 2014
Okay, thanks for taking the time to respond, I will try at the end of the year.

Do you think it would make a difference flying in vs crossing a boarder on a bus/train ? . As ill probably spend a week in NYC sightseeing before hand.

cheers,