+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overstayed in USA, can I get Canadian GC?

A

Albertagoverner

slim215 said:
Albertagoverner ,
I believe not every Canadian embassy/consulate in every country can handle PR interview. I think I saw list of which consulate can handle the interview, but, I got your point that it doesn't have to be in Buffalo.

Could you direct me to where can I find more info about applying for work visa once I get the PNP certificate? Can I find this info at CIC web?
Once you get the PNP certificate go to google and type any Canadian embassy close to you. let's say you are in California, just type "canadian consulate California" and get the link.

slim215

Jan 27, 2009
My understanding is that by having PNP certificate alone I can apply for working visa, I don't need to have a job offer, is that correct?

Flori

Star Member
Sep 18, 2008
slim215 said:
My understanding is that by having PNP certificate alone I can apply for working visa, I don't need to have a job offer, is that correct?
If you meant you can apply for a Permanent Residency, then that is correct. It'd take about 6-12 mo. to get it
If you meant by having the AINP you can apply for a temporary work permit without a job offer, that is not correct. The work permit takes 28 days.

Flori

Star Member
Sep 18, 2008
slim215 said:
HI V,
What makes you saying that? I know you are not an expert, but there must be a reason why you saying that if I'm legal for at least one year (which I am) then I'm OK. What I was thinking if whether the immigration officer will ask about what is our current legal status and if they discovered that I'm overstaying my visa then they will reject my canadian PR application.
Remember not all cases require an interview. But don't take so lightly the idea of overstaying in the USA, consider it as a last resource since you don't know if you would be ever in need to go back in the USA. Things might not go as you expect in Canada and you would wanna come back. And not just that, let's say you decide to overstay and your process keeps going well to immigrate to Canada (wich it should) and for some very bad luck, you get in an accident, or you are detained in a ICE inspection point, then they catch up with you, and your family, they may detain you all in a prison like facility (and you wont be together) before deporting you. And in the meantime you'd lose your opportunities of immigrating to Canada, you would be banned out of the USA and you would be forced to go back to your country. Needless to say all the awfull experience you, and your family would have to go tru. Of course sometimes they'd give you the option of leave the country by your own, but that'd still leave you with very little time to plan where are you gonna live.

A

Albertagoverner

slim215 said:
Albertagoverner ,
I believe not every Canadian embassy/consulate in every country can handle PR interview. I think I saw list of which consulate can handle the interview, but, I got your point that it doesn't have to be in Buffalo.

Could you direct me to where can I find more info about applying for work visa once I get the PNP certificate? Can I find this info at CIC web?
Consulates for Work, Visitor, Study, BUNAC and TRV (Transit return Visa) in United States:

Detroit, MI
Washington DC
New York City
Los Angeles, CA
Seattle, WA

Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I know you are not an expert, but there must be a reason why I am saying that if legal at least one year (I am), I am fine. What if I thought that if the immigration officer to ask questions about what our current legal situation and if I found exceeded my visa so reject my application for PR Canada.

ihabkal

Oct 8, 2010
mitzi said:
CIC do not care about your legal status in the US. As long as you qualify in their program and pass the requirements. The issue of overstaying will arise when you want to go back to US after departing from the legal ports/channels. Immigration will know you over stayed and that could be a problem. But you have your PR anyways :) There is no harm in trying. Goodluck.
That is not true, I had an H1B form 2001 till 2005, and Canadian officer asked for my old passports to make sure I didn't overstay so I sent them to them.
They do care. Will they do anything about overstaying? I don't know.

Regarding being maaried and having a child, what can I say Temporary work permits SUCK. the US should give greencard to very H1B holder and not leave us all hung by a string. you set your life and buy a house a car, furniture and clothing, get married, have kids and then BOOOM, they either kick you out after 6 years or if your employers lets you go or if you leave your job for any reason. Canada is even worse because their temporary work permit is for only 2 years, and you need to get positive LCA to renew while in the US oyur employer renews without a similar thing. This blows man, BLOWS. I have been through this in 2005 and I resigned and left of my free will, so I understand what you are going through, I wish you all the best you and the wife and kid. I hope it works out for you....

twenty

May 16, 2010
Can some1 help me , if i over stayed in a Caribbean country for 4 months can i still get Canada PR? how do immigration track you if u have a new passport .

thanks

USHIE

Aug 31, 2018
Hi Albertagoverner,
I appreciate your insight into profering solutions to this OVERSTAY in the US to apply for Canadian PR visa.

Please, I have almost a similar issue. I have overstayed my tourist US visa for over a year & working using my friend's SSN (to fund my children's education in my homeland...), paying my tax & no criminal case.
WHAT CHANCES DO I HAVE TO BE GRANTED THE PR WHILE IN THE US? TJE MAJOR REASON FOR MY OVERSTAY IS TO ENABLE ME FUND MY CHILDREN'S UNIVERSITY EDUCATION. COULD THIS REASON BE ACCEPTABLE ON HUMANITARIAN GROUND?
Awaiting your prompt response!