+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overstayed in the US previously

nikki23

Jul 13, 2019
Hey everyone!
So my case is a little messed up. I overstayed in the US for a year from 2015 to 2016. But I came back to my country and completed my studies. Now I'm applying for a student visa to Canada. In my application there is a question where i need to mention if I stayed in a different country for more than 6 months in the last 5 years. I'm really confused whether or not should I mention about the overstay. Will it reduce my chances of getting a visa if I be honest about it? Please help me out.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hey everyone!
So my case is a little messed up. I overstayed in the US for a year from 2015 to 2016. But I came back to my country and completed my studies. Now I'm applying for a student visa to Canada. In my application there is a question where i need to mention if I stayed in a different country for more than 6 months in the last 5 years. I'm really confused whether or not should I mention about the overstay. Will it reduce my chances of getting a visa if I be honest about it? Please help me out.
Canada and US share data about their applicants. In any case you are asking if you should misrepresent your application, you should know that misrepresentation will give a 5 year ban in Canada. Your overstay in the US was a costly mistake, and this will affect any visa application for Canada and most other countries.

Your only option is to be honest, your visa chances will be lowered drastically given the time that you have overstayed in the US.

nikki23

Jul 13, 2019
Canada and US share data about their applicants. In any case you are asking if you should misrepresent your application, you should know that misrepresentation will give a 5 year ban in Canada. Your overstay in the US was a costly mistake, and this will affect any visa application for Canada and most other countries.

Your only option is to be honest, your visa chances will be lowered drastically given the time that you have overstayed in the US.
But that was like 3 years ago. And I did come back on my own. Didn't get deported. I have completed my studies as well. So still there is no chance of getting a student visa?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
But that was like 3 years ago. And I did come back on my own. Didn't get deported. I have completed my studies as well. So still there is no chance of getting a student visa?
Its not impossible, but it will be more difficult. You will have to explain why you overstayed, why you would not do the same in canada etc.

Whatever you do, never hide such information.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey everyone!
Just to reiterate what was said above, you must declare the overstay. Canada and the US share information, so if you don't declare it, expect that IRCC will find out and you will be banned for 5 years for misrepresentation.

Yas101000

Sep 5, 2021
Hey everyone!
Hi can i please know what happened? I’m in a similar situation, except the overstay was 4 weeks and it was due to the pandemic.

Jojomon

Nov 9, 2021
Hey everyone!
Did you apply visa ? I have same situation I am planing to apply work permit I don’t know how to approach this question which you mentioned above !!

Rafaelhag43

May 6, 2021
Did you apply visa ? I have same situation I am planing to apply work permit I don’t know how to approach this question which you mentioned above !!
Previous posters had made it obvious. Be honest and state it, IRCC will know about your overstay when they get the information from the US anyways. You might get banned for 5 years if you try to lie.

Reactions: YVR123