+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overstayed in canada

Josh2k

Jul 1, 2017
Hey, I overstayed in Canada last year for about 7 months, I left before Canada started checking exit and came back the same day in a work permit) I am french). Now let say somehow Canada immigration find out I overstayed, can that have consequences in my current work permit? Or will they let it go

Josh2k

Jul 1, 2017
Well, I a
You'll have to be truthful that you overstayed in your application and yes they will know for sure as they have enter and exit records
I Already have the work permit. I left in January 22 went to Iceland then came back in January 23rd.. I did not even let the airport... I had no problem getting the work permit (work holiday). So if let say I apply for another visa while in Canada and they discover I overstayed last year... Would they cancel my current visa? Or they won't bother

Josh2k

Jul 1, 2017
If you don't declare that you've overstayed then your application will be refused and you'll be hit with misrepresentation ban of 5 years
So there are chances that they cancel my current visa and ask me to leave? Because right now I am on work visa for 2 years

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Chances that they'll find out now are slim but for future applications, you must declare that you overstayed.
Others can comment on their experiences too.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
But hey this is from my knowledge so before you go freaking and stuff, better to do your own research or wait for other forum users to comment

T-hEMK

Apr 3, 2017
But if somehow they do find out, they can revoke my current work permit?
Yes! Even if you get the citizenship and they found out that you lied they can revoke it. It is specified in their website that they can revoke at any time if there is a use of any false information to gain the status.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
But if somehow they do find out, they can revoke my current work permit?
I guess that if at some point in the future you want to apply for PR what would you plan to say about any travel or previous dates you stayed in Canada. Will you be honest or will you risk misrepresentation by not showing your overstay.

Also have to assume that your overstay was after you applied for your current work permit and that CBSA did not ask you when you returned from Iceland when you last visited or left Canada.

Last edited:

Josh2k

Jul 1, 2017
Yes! Even if you get the citizenship and they found out that you lied they can revoke it. It is specified in their website that they can revoke at any time if there is a use of any false information to gain the status.
I guess that if at some point in the future you want to apply for PR what would you plan to say about any travel or previous dates you stayed in Canada. Will you be honest or will you risk misrepresentation by not showing your overstay.

Also have to assume that your overstay was after you applied for your current work permit and that CBSA did not ask you when you returned from Iceland when you last visited or left Canada.
I applied when I was still legal, got the permit a few days before my statu expire and had 1 year to activate the permit, I activated it 7 months later by going to Iceland