+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

overstayed in canada illegal status

Jul 6, 2012
hello i have remained in canada as a united states citizen (born in california) for nearly 4 years. i have never been in trouble with the law or been given a deportation order or anything like that.

if i leave canada tomorrow and drive back to the us will canada then have my record as an overstay?

will i be able to re-enter canada?

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
user828 said:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/new-exit-entry-border-controls-could-have-long-ranging-consequences/article4180427/ ( This is from 2011 )

What is an exit-entry control system?

It would overstate matters to say that the government has no idea whether you are coming or going. Mostly, it just has no idea if you are going. Neither Canada nor the U.S. systematically logs where, when and how people leave the country.

This is about to change. Promises to implement entry-exit controls along both sides of the Canada-U.S. border should give officials a more precise idea about who is inside -- and outside -- of North America at any given time.

Over time, such controls could develop into vast biometric databases. In North America and Europe, the development of such systems are raising questions about sovereignty and privacy.

What are the advantages?

In Canada, the main hope is that increased confidence in cross-border security will facilitate bilateral trade. In the United States, the new measures help satisfy a recommendation by the U.S. 9/11 Commission -- that a “a biometric entry-exit screening system” be created to keep terrorists out of North America.

One likely spinoff benefit of these databases is that they could help governments crack down on cheats who reap benefits that they are not entitled to. This includes foreigners who overstay short-term visas; fraudsters who pretend to be meeting immigration residency requirements while actually living overseas; and the “jobless” who collect employment insurance while working abroad

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1218935--u-s-will-be-allowed-to-share-canadian-border-info-under-new-privacy-charter

Can you give some more details?

Did you or someone entered Canada via US ( where they overstayed and worked for Cash ) and now Canada denied entry, so worried that might not get entry is US again as Canada will share that info?? well, you can get your reply from above

Jul 6, 2012
so this is already happening? the us will share my exit date with canada, and ill most likely be denied re-entry to canada?

what would going to mexico solve? I didnt understand that comment

@user828 I cant reply to your PM or I would have.."You are not allowed to send personal messages."

Jul 6, 2012
@ pippin I see, thanks.

i leave in less than a week, im pretty worried now about getting denied entry the next time i try to enter

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ussanfrancisco said:
so this is already happening? the us will share my exit date with canada, and ill most likely be denied re-entry to canada?

what would going to mexico solve? I didnt understand that comment

@ user828 I cant reply to your PM or I would have.."You are not allowed to send personal messages."
US and Canada definitely share information and have been sharing at least some information for quite some time now. I saw this first hand a couple of years ago (2010? 2009?) when Canadian immigration knew about my husband's land crossings into the US (which only US immigration could have possibly known about). They definitely share info. No question.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just to add - I have no idea if you'll be denied entry. But I have personally seen evidence of the data sharing.

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
Dude relax most likely nothing will happen unless you tell them you overstayed. Canada has no exit controls and there is no reason for them to believe you stayed that long. Many ppl who post here are just paranoid and over hype things. There is no reason for US to inform Canada every time an American returns home or vice versa, can happen but there would need to be some reason. Just go and come back prob nothing will
happen, i have crossed into Canada at Niagara falls
without the border officer even stamping or opening my US citizen relatives passports, just asked where we live, what citizenships, and waived through.

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
Oh and my wife is an American with an inland app in process, going by some of the ppl who post here it would be too risky to leave and return back to Canada. She goes
back and forth all the time with no issues, and they dnt stamp her passport nor ask too many questions.

Jul 6, 2012
hey AAL what youre posting was what I was originally hoping and praying to happen. but ive been reading and hearing other things so i figured I would ask. seems that it can go both ways very easily, all i have left is to to try..