+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overseas spouse and dependents of protected person and convention refugee timeline - Share here

Laila mohsin

Star Member
Jun 5, 2023
My PR application is in process and I’m currently dating someone on a visitor’s visa. I’ve known this person for years and we’ve decided to do common law. My partner will stay until I get my PR and will extend the visitor’s visa so my partner doesn’t become illegal. My question is, when I do apply for the common law and my partner becomes a PR, would they become a refugee like me and would not be able to go back to home country?
First of all your application is still in process it means you are waiting for your PR confirmation. You have to wait for your confirmation then you have fullfill common law partner requirement and then you can apply for her PR.
( no your spouse will not become a refugee )

Laila mohsin

Star Member
Jun 5, 2023
Has anyone tried contacting their MP?
yes I did to be honest its hard to get a reply from them and then you have to chase it but yes they have a direct line they can ask about your file but in your case you just submitted this year it’s a long way to go MP will not do anything.

Laila mohsin

Star Member
Jun 5, 2023
I do not know the country you are from but if you are from Nigeria, please go and reapply immediately because IRCC has been issuing visit visa to protected person dependents recently. This is not somebody told me my former room mate wife and 4 children were just issued a visit visa, and I know over 5 other family that are issued and all this is Ontario only.
My question is when you apply for the TRV do you have to submit the bank statements and showing the money you have ???
And does it effect your protected person dependent spouse application process

Supz777

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
My question is when you apply for the TRV do you have to submit the bank statements and showing the money you have ???
And does it effect your protected person dependent spouse application process
You must show that you have money here in Canada to take care of your relatives, wife or husband or children, therefore you must include your Bank Statement or other financial proofs in the TRV application. But if your husband or wife in Nigeria have money then they must show it also. in fact it is better, if it is your spouse in Nigeria that have money in the bank.
TRV application have nothing to do with your spouse protected person PR application, they are both different visa category. PR is process in Accra, Ghana for Nigerians and TRV is process in Nairobi, Kenya for Nigerians.

Abeambolar

Jan 5, 2023
Any updates from Ghana after submitting medicals and pre arrival? Still waiting to be contacted
I have sent my proof of communication and other documents requested by Ghana since July and I haven't gotten any updates till now. It's exactly 3months today and still no news. Infact I don't know what to think again.

Hopealive

Star Member
Nov 24, 2021
I have sent my proof of communication and other documents requested by Ghana since July and I haven't gotten any updates till now. It's exactly 3months today and still no news. Infact I don't know what to think again.
Accra is something else. But I do not blame them. They are following the immigration Cap which does not favour refugees much

Dominate

Apr 11, 2019
The wait is really tiring and and exhausting. Submitted medicals in June. No response since then. Really really tired

Hopealive

Star Member
Nov 24, 2021
The wait is really tiring and and exhausting. Submitted medicals in June. No response since then. Really really tired
The problem is that the Cap given to protected persons and family members in the immigration level plan is limited. So some applications need to take two or three years or more to be finalised

Angel1489

Star Member
Jul 8, 2023
We have submitted medical exam in June for my wife overseas and nothing since then. We got GCMS notes and shows that everything is passed and completed, all the assessments and everything but no decision made yet and we dont know why takes so long if everything is completed.

Oluwabb

Jan 18, 2023
Hello,do one get only one PPR letter for dependants outside canada? Got only one letter with one of them name. But my kids are four.
So want to know if applies to all.