+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overseas spouse and dependents of protected person and convention refugee timeline - Share here

Abtols

Star Member
Jan 12, 2021
Thanks for
Hi,

Hi
I was in the same situation recently. Got the PR portal email during a short visit. email is asking for some details: UCI, last entry..etc.. and there is a question if you are in Canada.
Based on your location it will be a soft landing (throug the portal) or you get the passport request.

Good luck
Thanks for that definitive response.

Isvary

Aug 1, 2023
I do not know the country you are from but if you are from Nigeria, please go and reapply immediately because IRCC has been issuing visit visa to protected person dependents recently. This is not somebody told me my former room mate wife and 4 children were just issued a visit visa, and I know over 5 other family that are issued and all this is Ontario only.
Hello... this news alone is giving me hope and joy, my spouse is a claimant, waiting for hearing, no date yet, however we are curious hope me coming with kids on visit visa won't have any negative effect on the application later on. Pls respond, we are from Nigeria and my spouse lives in Ontario

Supz777

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
Hello... this news alone is giving me hope and joy, my spouse is a claimant, waiting for hearing, no date yet, however we are curious hope me coming with kids on visit visa won't have any negative effect on the application later on. Pls respond, we are from Nigeria and my spouse lives in Ontario
Sorry we are not talking about refugee claimant, we are talking of people who are already permanent resident through protected person pathway. Your spouse is a refugee claimant for now, your spouse need to be accepted as protected person then apply for a PR and become a PR then you can now apply for PR in Nigeria as spouse of protected person after that you can now apply for visit visa when the PR is being process. PR takes time to process the least processing time now is almost 4 years that is why spouses are now applying for visit visa so that they can come to Canada and wait for the PR process to finish. As for you, your spouse is a refugee claimant therefore you may not be granted visit visa but I will always tell people to apply and see what will happen if they have the money and documents to apply. So go and apply and try your luck. Lastly your coming to Canada with children that is if you ever get the visit visa has nothing to do with your spouse refugee claim, no negative effect.

Reactions: Abtols

Isvary

Aug 1, 2023
Sorry we are not talking about refugee claimant, we are talking of people who are already permanent resident through protected person pathway. Your spouse is a refugee claimant for now, your spouse need to be accepted as protected person then apply for a PR and become a PR then you can now apply for PR in Nigeria as spouse of protected person after that you can now apply for visit visa when the PR is being process. PR takes time to process the least processing time now is almost 4 years that is why spouses are now applying for visit visa so that they can come to Canada and wait for the PR process to finish. As for you, your spouse is a refugee claimant therefore you may not be granted visit visa but I will always tell people to apply and see what will happen if they have the money and documents to apply. So go and apply and try your luck. Lastly your coming to Canada with children that is if you ever get the visit visa has nothing to do with your spouse refugee claim, no negative effect.
Thanks for your response, I understand better now.

Bestforme

Jun 24, 2020
It took 8
It took 8months.
However,
there is a new policy to speed up/grant applications with dual intent. So it's 'now' much easier to get it and timeline is between 4 to 12weeks, depending on your home country.
I also believe there is a portal for it now. Give it a go, why not.
Hello please, can you share the link for the reunion application. thank you

EnglaN

Jun 6, 2022
It took 8
It took 8months.
However,
there is a new policy to speed up/grant applications with dual intent. So it's 'now' much easier to get it and timeline is between 4 to 12weeks, depending on your home country.
I also believe there is a portal for it now. Give it a go, why not.
Thank you so much for your response.

Lofftyloveth

Dec 11, 2019
Current situation:
Presently in Canada on a visiting visa. So reunited temporarily with family.

However,
PR application in Accra already got to medical and biometrics stage, all done in June 2023. There has been no correspondence since then.

Applying for open work permit tomorrow.
Presently, I work full remote. So occupation not in harzard.

Should I change my address? Should I have my application transferred to Canada or what happens if one gets a PPR at this point from Accra office? Just a scenario that could happen....any thoughts?

Lofftyloveth

Dec 11, 2019
Current situation:
Presently in Canada on a visiting visa. So reunited temporarily with family.

However,
PR application in Accra already got to medical and biometrics stage, all done in June 2023. There has been no correspondence since then.

Applying for open work permit tomorrow.
Presently, I work full remote. So occupation not in harzard.

Should I change my address? Should I have my application transferred to Canada or what happens if one gets a PPR at this point from Accra office? Just a scenario that could happen....any thoughts?
Goodmorning. Please I will really need your help with information. Where you able to apply for the open work permit?

Abtols

Star Member
Jan 12, 2021
Goodmorning. Please I will really need your help with information. Where you able to apply for the open work permit?
Yes.
There is an eligibility process, once you pass through that and are found eligible, it's followed by a list of documents to accompany your application and of course, payment. CAD200+

AyaElF

Jan 4, 2023
I sent a webform asking about my application. They wrote in the email (This application is in the final stage of the assessment. ) what is that supposed to mean and how much time i should wait

Supz777

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
Yes.
There is an eligibility process, once you pass through that and are found eligible, it's followed by a list of documents to accompany your application and of course, payment. CAD200+
Please there are some questions I want to ask you and I know you came into Canada with visit visa to reunite with your family and you also have a PR application in process outside Canada.
Do you apply for PR as an overseas dependent (spouse) of Protected Person?
You said you have applied for open work permit, do you apply for the work permit under the new IRCC policy?
If yes can you list the documents you submitted and will you be kind to also let us know the outcome of your application. Thank you

Orlando_Best

Sep 14, 2021
I do not know the country you are from but if you are from Nigeria, please go and reapply immediately because IRCC has been issuing visit visa to protected person dependents recently. This is not somebody told me my former room mate wife and 4 children were just issued a visit visa, and I know over 5 other family that are issued and all this is Ontario only.
I believe you. Someone in the same category was just approved too and asked to send his passport for visa. He has been rejected previously.

My spouse just applied. Fingers crossed. I will update as it progresses.

allan1985

Star Member
Aug 6, 2023
guys I want toes if the dependant of protected person who already have pr application in process apply for try under new reglication ?

Orlando_Best

Sep 14, 2021
guys I want toes if the dependant of protected person who already have pr application in process apply for try under new reglication ?
There’s no harm in trying. The worst is to deny you and it doesn’t count against you in the application process.

All the best.

HereToStay

Aug 21, 2022
My PR application is in process and I’m currently dating someone on a visitor’s visa. I’ve known this person for years and we’ve decided to do common law. My partner will stay until I get my PR and will extend the visitor’s visa so my partner doesn’t become illegal. My question is, when I do apply for the common law and my partner becomes a PR, would they become a refugee like me and would not be able to go back to home country?