+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overseas spouse and dependents of protected person and convention refugee timeline - Share here

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
urgent help..!!
if you want to claim refugee status at the port of entry in canada and you havent received the authorized letter but do have an visitor visa which is about to expire in a month. Is it still possible that one can travel providing the strong claim and showing the proof of the request for the authorization letter. Note: the person is also considered to be the extended family member.
No - the authorization letter needs to be approved and received in order to be allowed to board the plane. Otherwise the airline will deny boarding.

xer012

Star Member
May 15, 2019
urgent help..!!
if you want to claim refugee status at the port of entry in canada and you havent received the authorized letter but do have an visitor visa which is about to expire in a month. Is it still possible that one can travel providing the strong claim and showing the proof of the request for the authorization letter. Note: the person is also considered to be the extended family member.
There are multiple issues with your statement:
1. When you claim refugee status you have to surrender all your travel documents including any passports and visa. So if that person still has them it is a problem. Infact the board may later in the hearing think you lied to them by hiding the documents. These should be provided to them asap voluntarily before they find out.
2. The only protection a refugee claimant has is from removal from Canada. If you leave voluntarily before your hearing you are forfeiting your claim.
3. Say you manage to leave using your passport. Your visa, although you think is valid, might already have been cancelled in the system. Because you didnt keep up your intention to leave Canada, as you agreed to under your travel visa conditions, by applying for refugee protection. If your visa is cancelled no airline would let you board for return.
4. Say somehow the person manages to return to the border. For example they travel to US and come to a land border. The border agent has a strong reason not to let you in because you left the last time you applied for refugee protection.
5. The claim is strong is only your opinion, it hasnt been accepted yet. Everyone thinks their claim is strong yet the court doesnt agree with many.

I strongly advise talking to a lawyer before taking a step like this.

Last edited:

Ratmir

Jun 9, 2017
I’m guessing they are doing security check which should be done next month am guessing. It takes 3-6mo from what I read here. My spouse did biometrics Jan2021 so I’m not expecting anything until April to July. Keep us updated pls
My spouse as well did biometrics Jan2021 so it is more likely could hsppen after may or?

Polsonlive

Oct 2, 2018
Reactions: Ratmir

mugere

Star Member
Oct 26, 2018
My spouse just received medical request. what is next? Does that mean they are done with security check?
Thats good! I dont know if security is done, but very probably it is complete ! But for my spouse case they asked for medical. but security was still showing not strarted till feb 2021 , i dont know if know it is started!
Dar es salaam VO the same region lik Nairobi VO

Reactions: Polsonlive

Polsonlive

Oct 2, 2018
Thats good! I dont know if security is done, but very probably it is complete ! But for my spouse case they asked for medical. but security was still showing not strarted till feb 2021 , i dont know if know it is started!
Dar es salaam VO the same region lik Nairobi VO
Hopefully security is done or will have to wait longer. We will both be done soon-:)

Still waiting....
Stay hopeful and they will send an update soon

Polsonlive

Oct 2, 2018
My spouse Got medical request on 13th janv 2021 We had submitted forms Nov 12th 2020 and additional documents on 12th Jan 2021 nothing new!
Criminality passed
Medical passed
Security not started
This could mean that security hasn't started for my spouse yet! they also didn't send pre-arrival doc yet which means eligibility is still been worked on! still ways to go! its bn 2months in your case!

mugere

Star Member
Oct 26, 2018
This could mean that security hasn't started for my spouse yet! they also didn't send pre-arrival doc yet which means eligibility is still been worked on! still ways to go! its bn 2months in your case!
I do believe for your case security is completed ! This would encourage me!

They also didnt send pre arrival services letter to my spouse, which means eligibility in progress

Reactions: Virgono1

Virgono1

Star Member
Nov 23, 2018
I do believe for your case security is completed ! This would encourage me!

They also didnt send pre arrival services letter to my spouse, which means eligibility in progress
Where did u see any updates on ur spousal's application like security, eligibility and other updates? Did ur spouse linked their application to gckey account? Or did u order GCMS notes to know about all these information? Plz reply ur prompt response will be appreciated

Reactions: mugere