+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overcoming criminal inadmissibility for a DUI

Apr 9, 2018
Hello,

My girlfriend wishes to visit Canada, but she has been deemed inadmissible in her ETA application due to a DUI approx. 4.5 years ago. She had her driver’s license suspended for 4 months on August 14 2014. In the answer to the ETA application, they refer to IRPA 36 (2)(b)

36 (2) A foreign national is inadmissible on grounds of criminality for

(b) having been convicted outside Canada of an offence that, if committed in Canada, would constitute an indictable offence under an Act of Parliament, or of two offences not arising out of a single occurrence that, if committed in Canada, would constitute offences under an Act of Parliament;

In articles concerning how to overcome inadmissibility, it says that 5 years must pass before one can apply for rehabilitation. However, it states in one place that one must wait 5 years after commission of the offence, and says, in another part of the page, that one must wait 5 years from the moment the sentence was completed.

I was wondering if I could get some guidance on whether in this situation, my girlfriend can apply for rehabilitation 5 years after the sentence was imposed (14 aug 2014), or if it has to be 5 years after the sentence was completed (14 december 2014).

I thank in advance anyone willing to help!

Charles

P.S. what does this mean?

(3) The following provisions govern subsections (1) and (2):

(c) the matters referred to in paragraphs (1)(b) and (c) and (2)(b) and (c) do not constitute inadmissibility in respect of a permanent resident or foreign national who, after the prescribed period, satisfies the Minister that they have been rehabilitated or who is a member of a prescribed class that is deemed to have been rehabilitated;

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello,

My girlfriend wishes to visit Canada, but she has been deemed inadmissible in her ETA application due to a DUI approx. 4.5 years ago. She had her driver’s license suspended for 4 months on August 14 2014. In the answer to the ETA application, they refer to IRPA 36 (2)(b)

(b) having been convicted outside Canada of an offence that, if committed in Canada, would constitute an indictable offence under an Act of Parliament, or of two offences not arising out of a single occurrence that, if committed in Canada, would constitute offences under an Act of Parliament;

In articles concerning how to overcome inadmissibility, it says that 5 years must pass before one can apply for rehabilitation. However, it states in one place that one must wait 5 years after commission of the offence, and says, in another part of the page, that one must wait 5 years from the moment the sentence was completed.

I was wondering if I could get some guidance on whether in this situation, my girlfriend can apply for rehabilitation 5 years after the sentence was imposed (14 aug 2014), or if it has to be 5 years after the sentence was completed (14 december 2014).

Charles

(c) the matters referred to in paragraphs (1)(b) and (c) and (2)(b) and (c) do not constitute inadmissibility in respect of a permanent resident or foreign national who, after the prescribed period, satisfies the Minister that they have been rehabilitated or who is a member of a prescribed class that is deemed to have been rehabilitated;
It's after the sentence is complete, not the date of the offence. This includes all fines are paid and suspension/probation is finished.

Reactions: scylla

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hey, thanks for the reply. In which case would it be 5 years after the offense was committed?
It wouldn't be. All cases have an inherent delay between the offence and the final sentence being announced.

Apr 9, 2018
It wouldn't be. All cases have an inherent delay between the offence and the final sentence being announced.
What I am wondering is in which case the 5 years is:
-after the date of the final sentence being announced as you said
-after the sentence is complete

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
What I am wondering is in which case the 5 years is:
-after the date of the final sentence being announced as you said
-after the sentence is complete
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/overcoming-criminal-inadmissibility-for-a-dui.610170/#post-7568822

It's ALWAYS after the sentence is complete... Not from the date of the offence. It's only from the date of the sentence if that is also the date of sentence completion, such as only a fine (paid the same day).

mch88

Sep 26, 2018
Hello,

Charles

I find it interesting that with a previous DUI, they cited 36. 2(b) instead of 36. 1(b) for serious criminality since the new bill has passed. Thoughts @LifeDreamer ?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I find it interesting that with a previous DUI, they cited 36. 2(b) instead of 36. 1(b) for serious criminality since the new bill has passed. Thoughts @LifeDreamer ?
Date of offence.

mch88

Sep 26, 2018
If you look at this: http://www.immigrationlawconference.com/uploads/4/9/2/2/49220293/presentation_-_aris_daghighian_-_criminal_inadmissibility__-_issues_of_interest.pdf

For PRs, the Tran holding applies, which is previous jurisprudence that the law is not applied retroactively to convictions committed from before the bill takes effect.

It also specifies that the Tran holding does not apply for the foreign nationals, who are assessed at the time of the application. I've read this in multiple sources.

Reactions: zardoz