+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outside Canada - Next steps after Citizenship test (Online application)

Nocturno

Jun 5, 2016
Hey everyone,

Apologies if this was already asked - I had to leave Canada a couple of months after submitting my citizenship application. It was an online application, so aside from advising IRCC (per the instructions they sent) that I wouldn't be physically in Canada when taking the online citizenship test, I took no action to change my Canadian postal address (which I no longer live at, nor have access to any mail received).

I passed my Citizenship test yesterday - what do I do now? From what I could gather, months down the road I will get an invite for a citizenship ceremony (I will have to make arrangements to travel to Canada for that), after which I will be mailed a citizenship certificate (that could be still months down the line from that). Given the unpredictable timeline, what would be the best course of action to take now? Any tips to optimize the next steps? I guess I could provide IRCC with a postal address of one of my friends (assuming it's highly unlikely that they would mail anything to me here in the US where I am - or maybe I am wrong?). Or will there be an opportunity at oath-taking time to provide the right address? Given my friends are all renting, I am not sure where everyone will be living months or years from now.