+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outside Canada as a PR for almost 2 years, can i still go back in without any issues? My pr card expires in 2024

viki1805

Jun 13, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
Hi All,

just as the question states, I am trying to confirm if any laws have changed that would prevent me from being able to reenter Canada? I got my PR in Apr 2019 (expires in Apr 24) after soft landing in Canada in March 2019! I am currently working in the US and am yet to move there permanently. however I have made arrangements with my current employer in the US to be able to work from Canada remotely and am just beginning to plan for it.

So I was wondering if i can still freely enter Canada sometime around May 2021 to move there permanently!

Appreciate all your feedback and help with this!
Thank you

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi All,

just as the question states, I am trying to confirm if any laws have changed that would prevent me from being able to reenter Canada? I got my PR in Apr 2019 (expires in Apr 24) after soft landing in Canada in March 2019! I am currently working in the US and am yet to move there permanently. however I have made arrangements with my current employer in the US to be able to work from Canada remotely and am just beginning to plan for it.

So I was wondering if i can still freely enter Canada sometime around May 2021 to move there permanently!

Appreciate all your feedback and help with this!
Thank you
Simple search online
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html

Reactions: viki1805

viki1805

Jun 13, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
Thanks for your response @Copingwithlife
I did go through this webpage, but I saw a couple of posts in other forums and youtube about how soft landing rules had changed and I was just concerned and wondering if it would affect me as I did soft-land and get out on the same day once I got my COPR stamped and SIN.

I do understand that as long as I have stayed a cumulative of 2 years in the 5 years that the PR is valid I can maintain my status and renew! just was wondering with current times if anything had changed. Appreciate your time :)

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thanks for your response @Copingwithlife
I did go through this webpage, but I saw a couple of posts in other forums and youtube about how soft landing rules had changed and I was just concerned and wondering if it would affect me as I did soft-land and get out on the same day once I got my COPR stamped and SIN.

I do understand that as long as I have stayed a cumulative of 2 years in the 5 years that the PR is valid I can maintain my status and renew! just was wondering with current times if anything had changed. Appreciate your time :)
The soft landing guidance came in due to Covid so given you soft landed in 2019 not relevant to you.

My view was that It was brought in to discourage people from travelling from all over the place , landing and then leaving straight away having the potential by travelling being super spreaders of the virus. In reality once someone has landed there is nothing to stop anyone leaving and whether on their return later whether there is any penalty unless they left before fulfilling the quarantine requirement seems doubtful so really it is all about an individual being responsible given the seriousness of the pandemic.

The residency obligation still the same 2 out of 5 so no change to that as a result of COVID.

We can all only pray of course that by May 2021 when you plan to move that there is a vaccine and the quarantine requirement has either been removed before that or at least eased else the economy may well be doomed if it isnt already heading that way anyway

Last edited: