+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland spouse application what to say at border

DaiWelsh

Jun 5, 2015
Hi I am UK citizen, Canadian wife and kids, married 17 years+ lived in UK all that time. We are emigrating to Canada in November and my thought is to start an outland application now then enter the country in November while it is still pending. My natural inclination is to tell the border people exactly that, but I cannot find an explicit statement anywhere that this will not cause any issues at the border.

I should not trigger any other red flags, it would only be if they ask "how long do you intend to stay" and I say "forever if my PR application is successful" and that violates the normal visitor rules about them being convinced I intend to leave at the end of my stay?

Obviously I do not want to lie, but I also do not want any risk that I am turned away when we arrive, while my wife, kids, FIL and possessions all sail through?

As an alternative if no-one can answer with confidence is there any way to confirm this explicitly with CIC?

TIA

Dai

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
DaiWelsh said:
Hi I am UK citizen, Canadian wife and kids, married 17 years+ lived in UK all that time. We are emigrating to Canada in November and my thought is to start an outland application now then enter the country in November while it is still pending. My natural inclination is to tell the border people exactly that, but I cannot find an explicit statement anywhere that this will not cause any issues at the border.

I should not trigger any other red flags, it would only be if they ask "how long do you intend to stay" and I say "forever if my PR application is successful" and that violates the normal visitor rules about them being convinced I intend to leave at the end of my stay?

Obviously I do not want to lie, but I also do not want any risk that I am turned away when we arrive, while my wife, kids, FIL and possessions all sail through?

As an alternative if no-one can answer with confidence is there any way to confirm this explicitly with CIC?

TIA

Dai
The term you will want to use is "dual intent". It means your coming to stay as a "visitor" while your PR process finishes up, and you are well aware you are to leave the country if your application is denied.

http://www.cba.org/cba/cle/secure_pdf/paper_bart.pdf

DaiWelsh

Jun 5, 2015
saria1 said:
The term you will want to use is "dual intent". It means your coming to stay as a "visitor" while your PR process finishes up, and you are well aware you are to leave the country if your application is denied.
Brilliant thank you, in all my googling I had not seen that term but now I know it I can get all sorts of info, isn't it crazy how that works. Thanks again.

deweysmith

Mar 20, 2015
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2015
AOR Received.
23-04-2015
File Transfer...
15-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2015
LANDED..........
29-08-2012
This plan sounds good to me. :) They may want to assess duty/tax on anything you bring with you, but I don't think it's a problem since your wife can import it all.

Panamai

Oct 3, 2013
Kingston, Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-01-2015
AOR Received.
28-03-2015
File Transfer...
31-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
16-01-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
DM 05-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2015
LANDED..........
23-11-2015
saria1 said:

http://www.cba.org/cba/cle/secure_pdf/paper_bart.pdf
Thanks for this! I may well need to be familiar with that term in July (assuming I haven't received COPR by then). I'm going back to the US to pick up my kids for a summer visit, so I won't be able to slip back through with my NEXUS card the way I usually do. I was really worried they'd turn me away this time. I think I'll print that pdf out and carry it with me, just in case.

DaiWelsh

Jun 5, 2015
Just for the benefit of future searchers I got in fine, 6 month visitor visa, they asked me almost nothing about me, it was all focused on my Father in Law and getting him landed.