+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland Spousal Sponsorship -- sending medical exam after the application

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
begaana said:
I've just had a conversation with my wife, leading to more confusion. I don't think emailing or calling our clearly incompetent lawyer will help at this point, but maybe some of you folks will have suggestions.

The papers that she has, it seems, are not her medical exam results. When she did her exam, the DMP said that s/he would send the results directly to CPC-M in 10 business days (7 days from today). What was given to my wife is a sealed envelope, which she was instructed to give to her sponsor (me) to send separately to CPC-M. Can anyone tell me what this mysterious envelope might be?

This complicates our next steps, no matter whether we decide to send the mysterious envelope now or after receiving some kind of communication from CPC-M:

1) If we send it to CPC-M now, then as many of you say, it may not reach them either because they won't know where to put it (or can't be bothered to put it with the right application) or because the file will have moved on to the visa office (in our case I think this is the Case Processing Pilot in Ottawa, since the Buffalo centre doesn't process these applications any longer). If that happens and the envelope gets lost, she will have to get her medical exam done again anyhow.

2) If we wait for CPC-M to get in touch with us to re-do the medical exam, the difficulty is that my wife may not be in the US by the time they get back to us, and she'll have to travel to the US again to have it done, which may cause complications (long story).

I've been calling the CIC Call Centre all day. I have never been able to get anyone, human or machine, on the line. As for the lawyer, apparently he told my wife (over the phone) that she should do the medical exam after submitting the application. I wish that he had said so in writing; we would have had proof of it.
Do you have a copy of the cover letter the lawyer sent with the application? Perhaps he/she stated in this letter that medical receipt will follow upon receipt of file number from the visa office. If so, CPC M should not return your application to you but forward it to the visa office for processing. When processing begins they will request the medical receipt. Let's hope that's what happens with your case.

Your wife will not have to redo the medical. It is valid for 1 year from the date it is performed. The doctor does not provide results to the applicant, only to the Regional Medical Office. All that is provided to you is a Receipt. Tell you wife to open the envelope to see what's in there. It should be a receipt with her picture on it. There is nothing that requires it to remain in a sealed envelope.

Do not send the medical results now as it will get lost. You have to wait and see if the file is returned or if it is forwarded to the visa post. If the file is returned, you just add it to the file and send it back following their instructions. You will not lose your place in line. If it is sent to the visa post, send the medical receipt to the responsible visa office quoting the Application number that has been assigned to your wife's file.

Be aware that as the sponsor, if they do not send it back top you, you will also receive notification that you have been approved for sponsorship. This is NOT the acknowledgement that you are waiting for as the sponsor's approval comes from CPC M. You need to wait for something from the visa office.

begaana

Jun 5, 2012
Thanks so much, rjessome. I do hope that we don't lose our place in line. What frightens us is the prospect of having to "do it over again" and having the clock reset. If, as you say, my wife will not have to redo the medical exam whether they send it to the visa point or send it back to us, then we can breathe easy. I just hope that you're right!

I'll take you at your word that the mysterious envelope contains a receipt and photograph. However, my wife tells me that the nurse specifically told her not to open it. Update: My wife has just held it up to a strong light, and she says that the document inside it seems to be her Appendix C form, probably signed by the DMP.

As for the lawyer and the cover letter he sent with the application, I'll tell you what he said about the medical exam (note that he sent me a copy only after submitting the application. He stated in the cover letter that among the supporting documents included in the package there was a "Proof of medical examinations for [my wife's name] (original copy 2 of form IMM 1017 signed by the examining doctor)." This is of course incorrect. Part of the agreement was that he would go through our application carefully -- clearly he did not. I'll tell you another thing about this lawyer, who is from a well-respected firm: a few days ago he claimed that he thought that I had submitted the application directly, and didn't think that he had submitted it on my before -- I emailed him back with HIS cover letter, and the UPS waybill that he sent me when HE sent the application to CPC-M. Yeesh. What do you do with a lawyer like this?

Given that our visa office will (I think) be the Case Processing Pilot, Ottawa, and given that they DO have an email address, I'm going to email them and see if I can get confirmation of rjessome's helpful advice. I may write to my lawyer as well, more out of a desire to let him know the facts than to solicit his unhelpful advice.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
begaana said:
Thanks so much, rjessome. I do hope that we don't lose our place in line. What frightens us is the prospect of having to "do it over again" and having the clock reset. If, as you say, my wife will not have to redo the medical exam whether they send it to the visa point or send it back to us, then we can breathe easy. I just hope that you're right!

I'll take you at your word that the mysterious envelope contains a receipt and photograph. However, my wife tells me that the nurse specifically told her not to open it. Update: My wife has just held it up to a strong light, and she says that the document inside it seems to be her Appendix C form, probably signed by the DMP.

As for the lawyer and the cover letter he sent with the application, I'll tell you what he said about the medical exam (note that he sent me a copy only after submitting the application. He stated in the cover letter that among the supporting documents included in the package there was a "Proof of medical examinations for [my wife's name] (original copy 2 of form IMM 1017 signed by the examining doctor)." This is of course incorrect. Part of the agreement was that he would go through our application carefully -- clearly he did not. I'll tell you another thing about this lawyer, who is from a well-respected firm: a few days ago he claimed that he thought that I had submitted the application directly, and didn't think that he had submitted it on my before -- I emailed him back with HIS cover letter, and the UPS waybill that he sent me when HE sent the application to CPC-M. Yeesh. What do you do with a lawyer like this?

Given that our visa office will (I think) be the Case Processing Pilot, Ottawa, and given that they DO have an email address, I'm going to email them and see if I can get confirmation of rjessome's helpful advice. I may write to my lawyer as well, more out of a desire to let him know the facts than to solicit his unhelpful advice.
Don't worry, I'm right about the validity of the medical. It's a well known fact. That nurse didn't know what she was talking about regarding the medical receipt. Open it. Seriously.

I don't think much of any lawyer or consultant who would allow an incomplete file to leave their office. The last step when preparing a file for submission is to go through the checklists and ensure all of the required documents are there. He, or his assistant at least, should have noticed it was missing. Of course we are all human and mistakes do happen. Check over your copy of the application to ensure everything else is correct.

If you look around in this forum you will see several people have had their files returned because of missing documents and they did not lose their place in the line when they returned them.

Good luck getting an email response from CPC Ottawa.

begaana

Jun 5, 2012
BTW rjessome, I'm not entirely clear on the meaning of this paragraph:

Be aware that as the sponsor, if they do not send it back top you, you will also receive notification that you have been approved for sponsorship. This is NOT the acknowledgement that you are waiting for as the sponsor's approval comes from CPC M. You need to wait for something from the visa office.
Who is "they" in the first sentence?

begaana

Jun 5, 2012
For the information and edification of my fellow forum members, here is the email that I have written to the Case Processing Pilot in Ottawa:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a Canadian citizen who has submitted an outland (US) spousal sponsorship application to CPC-Mississauga for my wife, [wife's name]. My lawyer, who submitted the application on my behalf, told my wife that she did not need to have her medical examination done until after the application had been submitted. However, we are beginning to believe that he was misguided. Was our lawyer correct to tell us that the medical exam should be done after the submission of the application?

My wife has now had her medical examination [in the USA]. We were given a sealed envelope (containing the Appendix C, I believe). What we would like to know is, how should we proceed to ensure that we do not lose our place in line? Should we send it to CPC-M or to the Ottawa Pilot immediately, or should we wait for further notice from CIC?

We have been unable to get in touch with CPC-M despite our strenuous efforts, and would therefore appreciate your answer.

Regards,

[My name]

DOB: [My DOB]
Place of Birth: Canada
Application Receipt Number: [My receipt number]

alveenmomin

Star Member
Jun 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-12-2011
Doc's Request.
07-06--2012 and 02-05-2013
File Transfer...
09-08-2012
Med's Done....
25-05-2012
Interview........
mostly waived
Passport Req..
28-08-2012 received on 30-08-2012
LANDED..........
Hopefully soon
hey i am planning to submit my wifes medical..
cic have send me letter stating that i should fill ( IMM 1017 -copy 2)
and everywhere ppl are telling to do appendix c
what should i do

Deficient

Feb 22, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/02/2012
Doc's Request.
11/07/2012 [CSQ]
File Transfer...
08/06/2012
Med's Request
Signature has med furtherance details
Med's Done....
10/02/2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
01/11/2012
alveenmomin said:
hey i am planning to submit my wifes medical..
cic have send me letter stating that i should fill ( IMM 1017 -copy 2)
and everywhere ppl are telling to do appendix c
what should i do
IMM1017 copy 2 is the receipt the DMP gives you when you do a medical.

In order to go and do your medical, you have to take a form Appendix C (assuming it is called the same thing in al of the country-specific instructions) and give it to the doctor.

So you complete the Appendix C and give it to the doctor, and the doctor will give you IMM1017 copy 2 to send with your file.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
begaana said:
BTW rjessome, I'm not entirely clear on the meaning of this paragraph:

Who is "they" in the first sentence?
CPC M - the people assessing/processing your sponsorship application. They check it for completeness before sending to the visa post for processing.

tyfung

Apr 1, 2012
Hello everyone, I am a newbie and finally getting serious in looking into the information.

My wife did a medical exam less then a month ago for her study visa. Does medical exam differ from different type of visa / immigration application? Or is it standard across the board?

Thank you for your time!

godhelp

Star Member
Jun 30, 2012
Hello Beganna,

We also did not submit the medical. Did CIC return your whole packet later
or contacted you for the missing document. Can you kindly please provide
your experience.

thanks,
Godhelp

begaana

Jun 5, 2012
Well, two months later and no communication from CIC regarding either the medical examination or the status of the immigration application, not even a file number that we can use to check the status of it online. So, godhelp, that's your answer....

I still hope that they will get in touch with me soon!

temmyt

Star Member
Jun 25, 2012
Hello,

I made the same mistake earlier in March when I sent my application. But I rec'd a letter (not my whole application) to have my spouse do the medical. I was given 60days also and an address with a officer to send it to. I was also given a UCI# but when I check online, it only shows that my application was rec'd. So am not too sure on what is going on. However I was advised this is good news as my application was not returned back to me. Pple on this forum have had their application returned back to them, but mine wasn't. When did you put your application thru? Check on the CIC website to see what month they are on currently and you can call them if your date passed.
The medical have been done am just waiting for fedex to deliver it to me, so I can send it in.

All the best!

godhelp

Star Member
Jun 30, 2012
Hello Beganna and Temytt,

Thanks for the reply. I send my spouse application to CIC, Mississauga on May 2nd. Since then I have also
not heard anything from CIC, not even file number. Meanwhile in June my spouse did her medicals. I sent a
photocopy of the Medical form (as I did not wanted to send the Original as it can get lost, when we even dont have
a file number) with a covering letter. I dont think CIC, Mississauga cares. It would be so painful to receive the
application back after waiting for few more weeks. Just crossing my finger for me and Beganna. Temytt its very good
news that they did not return back the whole packet for u. I hope u hear good news very soon.

with regards,
Godhelp

temmyt

Star Member
Jun 25, 2012
Godhelp I pray you hear from them soon.

I sent in the medical already and am waiting. I pray that all this wait will end with an approval very soon!

godhelp

Star Member
Jun 30, 2012
Thank You very much Temmyt. I pray for Beganna also.
Temmyt after how many days after u submitted the application
did u receive the request for medical. Also was it a postal mail
or an email which came to u requesting for medical.

Thank You,
Godhelp