+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland Sponsorship questions from the USA.

screamingmoon

Nov 3, 2014
I have a few questions, here is the scenario;

My current girlfriend is a Canadian citizen who lives with me in the USA.

We would like to get back to Ontario and wondering what the fastest way to do this would be and what the actual times are considering I saw people on the boards saying the processing times on the CIC website are not always correct.

We are legitimate and have lived together in the USA for over a year. We want to get married anyway, this has nothing to do with the sponsorship.

Here are the questions;

1.) If no red flags are present (which there should be none) how long would it take until I receive a PR card enabling me to travel and work to canada? I'm stating this for immediately after we are married. From the time I send in the application until I receive the card.

2.) Do I have to live in Canada immediately after receiving my PR card? Can I live with her in the USA to gain ctiizenship?

3.) She is not on any social assistance but does not have alot of money, is this a problem?

In general, we have been seeing eachother for a long time back and forth across the boarder and living together with proof, also we will be legitimately married.

Thanks,

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
1) US applicants seem to be getting PR in about 6 months, give or take 2 3 months. They mail you the PR card in about 4 to 6 weeks after "landing" as a new PR. You don't need the physical card to work - as soon as you "land" you can work. (You do need to apply for a SIN - takes about 10 minutes.)

2) If you two are currently living in the US, your girlfriend will have to prove to CIC that she plans to move back to Canada when you get PR. If she is not ready to go live in Canada, CIC will not approve your PR.

3) As long as she has not claimed welfare or has not declared bankruptcy, she can sponsor you.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
To add to kayaker's reply

1. the 6 month and less timeline kayaker mentioned is mostly for US citizens. Are you a US citizen. If you are some other US resident (green card, student visa, work visa), the timelines can be longer
2. after you get PR, there is a PR residency obligation where you have to live a certain number of days in Canada to keep your PR status. But if you live with a Canadian citizen spouse, then you can live outside Canada and still keep your PR status. However, that doesn't count towards your requirements for citizenship. If you wish to become a Canadian citizen, you MUST live IN Canada for 4 out of 6 years minimum to qualify.
3. there is no minimum income requirement. but CIC may ask how you two plan on making a living when you come back to Canada.