+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland Sponsorship Question

Canadian5555

Dec 13, 2020
Hey there, I am in the process of sponsoring my Australian husband. Due to Covid, we are both living in Canada at the moment. However, once the borders open up, our plan is for me to get my working holiday visa and for us to visit Australia for a bit. For that reason, we will be doing outland so he has the ability to move freely in and out of Canada (as long as he is able to get a visitor visa if he wants to come back here). My question is if he is expected to come right back to Canada once he receives his PR? There is a chance we might stay a few years in Australia, so I would like to know whether that will be an issue. Thank you.

Sasha1989

Mar 20, 2018
Up to my knowledge the immigrant visa which he gets, is valid for a year.
You have to land within the validaty of the visa, otherwise you need to extend the visa which I am not sure whether garantied or not.
However after he lands and gets his PR card, he can go back to Australia for two years if I am not mistaken.
After these two years he needs to stay to keep his status as a permanent resident.
Not sure of all details.
Wait for another answer as well.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Simple answer is after becoming a PR he must reside in Canada two years of every five (730 days), on an ongoing rolling basis (at any date they look back five years). For the first five years while in Canada any remaining days to the five year anniversary of landing are considered in counting compliance.

Or easier to count as maximum of 1095 days out of Canada (five years minus 730 days = 1095).

There is more to it but in simple terms.

Canadian5555

Dec 13, 2020
Okay, thank you both for your reply. Just to clarify, once he receives PR, he'll have a year to enter Canada to claim it. After that, he'll have to be here for 2 out of the total 5 years. Is that the case? I haven't been able to find information on this -- is there a site I can look into? Thanks again.

Simple answer is after becoming a PR he must reside in Canada two years of every five (730 days), on an ongoing rolling basis (at any date they look back five years). For the first five years while in Canada any remaining days to the five year anniversary of landing are considered in counting compliance.

Or easier to count as maximum of 1095 days out of Canada (five years minus 730 days = 1095).

There is more to it but in simple terms.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Okay, thank you both for your reply. Just to clarify, once he receives PR, he'll have a year to enter Canada to claim it. After that, he'll have to be here for 2 out of the total 5 years. Is that the case? I haven't been able to find information on this -- is there a site I can look into? Thanks again.
Usually it's up to one year from the date of the medical to land.

You could try searching for residency obligation. Theres also a forum here.

Reactions: YVR123