+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland PR approved - already in Canada - require signature

starfire2003

Feb 18, 2013
Hi everyone

Need some advice. My permanent residency was approved back in early September. We applied via an outland application from Australia but decided to move to Canada in late July before approval and hoped like crazy it would get approved. So now i have an approved perm residency but couldnt get it signed by immigration when going through customs because it hadn't been approved yet. I called Canadian immigration in mid September and was told id receive a call from my local immigration office to organise an appointment to have the document signed. They told me to expect the call in a month. After 7 weeks without getting a call i called them again. I was told should have got a call by now and Ill receive one soon. It has now been another 3 weeks and still nothing. Its really frustrating that my application was approved almost 3 months ago but i still cant work. Does anyone know if i can drive to a land border to get it signed? I've heard conflicting opinions on this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
starfire2003 said:
So now i have an approved perm residency but couldnt get it signed by immigration when going through customs because it hadn't been approved yet.
What does this mean exactly? Did you get your COPR pages in the mail, and then arrived to Canada through some international flight? But there was a problem with your COPR?

Does anyone know if i can drive to a land border to get it signed? I've heard conflicting opinions on this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
If you have your COPRs and already living in Canada, then going to the nearest USA land border is the quickest way to "land" and get your PR status. Practically every outland applicant already living in Canada does this. The procedure is called flagpoling and is very common.

Harju

Star Member
Apr 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/09/2010
AOR Received.
25/10/2010
Passport Req..
02/11/2011
VISA ISSUED...
28/11/2011
LANDED..........
31/12/2011
If you have a COPR you should call your local immigration office directly and book a landing appointment or leave the country and re-enter as Rob has suggested.

clearly

Star Member
Jul 12, 2013
The quickest solution for you is to go to the nearest US border and come back in to Canada that way.

starfire2003

Feb 18, 2013
Rob_TO said:
What does this mean exactly? Did you get your COPR pages in the mail, and then arrived to Canada through some international flight? But there was a problem with your COPR?

If you have your COPRs and already living in Canada, then going to the nearest USA land border is the quickest way to "land" and get your PR status. Practically every outland applicant already living in Canada does this. The procedure is called flagpoling and is very common.
Ok, thanks. I received my COPR to my Australian address and had my father send them to us in Canada. We moved to Canada before receiving them.

I originally thought i could just go to a land border but the 2nd time i called immigration the girl (who sounded inexperienced) told me that I cant do this because I might need an interview. This made no sense to me because i aleady had COPR.

Looks like were heading to a road trip to a land border.

Thanks again.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
starfire2003 said:
I originally thought i could just go to a land border but the 2nd time i called immigration the girl (who sounded inexperienced) told me that I cant do this because I might need an interview. This made no sense to me because i aleady had COPR.
I'm continually shocked by how many call centre agents at CIC have absolutely no idea what they're talking about, and tell completely wrong information to people calling in!!

starfire2003

Feb 18, 2013
Rob_TO said:
I'm continually shocked by how many call centre agents at CIC have absolutely no idea what they're talking about, and tell completely wrong information to people calling in!!
Agreed!