+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland PR app/Visitor visa extension (PLEASE HELP!!!!!)

Marina93

Dec 2, 2016
Manitoba
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Winnipeg
App. Filed.......
01-02-2017
AOR Received.
24-02-2017
Med's Done....
Upfront
LANDED..........
31-01-2018
Hi everyone!

My husband and I are applying for spousal sponsorship for permanent residence via outland application soon. He is a Brazilian citizen and his visitor visa expires on January 25th. We just did his medical exam last Wednesday (November 30th). While talking to the doctor about our situation, she advised us to apply for a visa extension prior to sending our PR app and use the form we got right after the appointment which states that we completed the medical. The official form to be sent with the PR application is to arrive in the mail in about one week. Our questions are as follows:

1. Would it be better to send a visa extension prior to sending the outland PR app? Or to send them both at the same time?

2. If it is better to send the visa extension prior to the PR app, do you recommend sending it on paper or online? The paper applications currently have around 111 days processing time.

We could not find a similar enough situation throughout these forums to answer our exact questions.

Thanks to anyone who answers!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Marina93 said:
1. Would it be better to send a visa extension prior to sending the outland PR app? Or to send them both at the same time?

2. If it is better to send the visa extension prior to the PR app, do you recommend sending it on paper or online? The paper applications currently have around 111 days processing time.
Hi

1. You can't submit them together. The visitor extension app needs to be sent separately from the outland PR app.

2. It doesn't matter if you apply for the extension before or after applying for PR, as long as you apply before your current status expires. Online is generally easier but it doesn't matter which way you apply.

boopityboo

Feb 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 11, 2015
AOR Received.
April 18, 2015
File Transfer...
May 18, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront 08/30/2014
Med's Done....
Re-medical 02/16/2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 30, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
April 11, 2016
Hey, Marina93!

I was in the same boat last year. I think it is better if you send your PR application before applying for visa extension. This way you have proof that you have applied for spousal sponsorship and I think this way your visa extension application has a higher chance at being approved.. We actually went this route. After we passed our PR app, we applied for visa extension. We did the online one since it is faster, and we included the receipt with the tracking number for our PR app. I got a one-year extension.. ;D

Good luck!

Marina93

Dec 2, 2016
Manitoba
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Winnipeg
App. Filed.......
01-02-2017
AOR Received.
24-02-2017
Med's Done....
Upfront
LANDED..........
31-01-2018
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

1. You can't submit them together. The visitor extension app needs to be sent separately from the outland PR app.

2. It doesn't matter if you apply for the extension before or after applying for PR, as long as you apply before your current status expires. Online is generally easier but it doesn't matter which way you apply.
Thanks for the info! In your opinion, what are the chances of him getting his visitor visa extended prior to sending in the PR app? I also read somewhere that CIC needs to receive the extension application 30 days prior to the expiry date. Is this true? Or is it fine as long as they receive the app before the expiry date (even just a couple of days before)?

Marina93

Dec 2, 2016
Manitoba
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Winnipeg
App. Filed.......
01-02-2017
AOR Received.
24-02-2017
Med's Done....
Upfront
LANDED..........
31-01-2018
boopityboo said:
Hey, Marina93!

I was in the same boat last year. I think it is better if you send your PR application before applying for visa extension. This way you have proof that you have applied for spousal sponsorship and I think this way your visa extension application has a higher chance at being approved.. We actually went this route. After we passed our PR app, we applied for visa extension. We did the online one since it is faster, and we included the receipt with the tracking number for our PR app. I got a one-year extension.. ;D

Good luck!
That's awesome! Unfortunately we're not quite ready to send our PR app yet but the visitor visa expires at the end of January so we were wondering if CIC would extend the visitor visa prior to sending the PR app. Not sure what to do!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Marina93 said:
Thanks for the info! In your opinion, what are the chances of him getting his visitor visa extended prior to sending in the PR app? I also read somewhere that CIC needs to receive the extension application 30 days prior to the expiry date. Is this true? Or is it fine as long as they receive the app before the expiry date (even just a couple of days before)?
Pay the full $1040 fees and include that receipt with the extension application to show you are serious about applying for sponsorship.

IRCC suggests 30 days but it's not a requirement. It needs to be sent before his status expires.

Marina93

Dec 2, 2016
Manitoba
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Winnipeg
App. Filed.......
01-02-2017
AOR Received.
24-02-2017
Med's Done....
Upfront
LANDED..........
31-01-2018
canuck_in_uk said:
Pay the full $1040 fees and include that receipt with the extension application to show you are serious about applying for sponsorship.

IRCC suggests 30 days but it's not a requirement. It needs to be sent before his status expires.
Holy smokes... so CIC just released a brand new application package this month of course right as we were getting ready to send ours Shocked
For proof of relationship for spouses living together now they need proof of joint ownership of residential property, joint utilities, etc. I don't think we will be able to get this proof and reorganize our application in time to send it as well as a visa extension before it expires. Do you think if we wrote a letter explaining how this change has caused a delay on the sending of our application, they will grant an extension without proof of payment for the sponsorship???

Marina93

Dec 2, 2016
Manitoba
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Winnipeg
App. Filed.......
01-02-2017
AOR Received.
24-02-2017
Med's Done....
Upfront
LANDED..........
31-01-2018
Marina93 said:
Holy smokes... so CIC just released a brand new application package this month of course right as we were getting ready to send ours Shocked
For proof of relationship for spouses living together now they need proof of joint ownership of residential property, joint utilities, etc. I don't think we will be able to get this proof and reorganize our application in time to send it as well as a visa extension before it expires. Do you think if we wrote a letter explaining how this change has caused a delay on the sending of our application, they will grant an extension without proof of payment for the sponsorship???
I forgot to add, since the processing times for inland vs outland are the same now, we are changing our application to inland

auscan786

Oct 29, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I have applied on 7 december inland spousal application also submitted my owp with that, my visit visa is due to expire on 14 Jan,2017. Do I need to apppy for extension? I received AOR on 22 December also note I am from visa extempt country.

Appreciate your answers please.

Thanks

Marina93

Dec 2, 2016
Manitoba
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Winnipeg
App. Filed.......
01-02-2017
AOR Received.
24-02-2017
Med's Done....
Upfront
LANDED..........
31-01-2018
auscan786 said:
Hi Everyone,

I have applied on 7 december inland spousal application also submitted my owp with that, my visit visa is due to expire on 14 Jan,2017. Do I need to apppy for extension? I received AOR on 22 December also note I am from visa extempt country.

Appreciate your answers please.

Thanks
I'm pretty new to this so could be wrong, but my understanding is that since you sent the owp then that is sufficient enough and you don't need to apply for an extension.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Marina93 said:
You are still allowed to send the old app until the end of January.

You can pay the PR fees anytime. You don't need to wait until you actually send the PR app.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
auscan786 said:
Thanks I hope owp is enough anyway looking for more suggestions
The OWP, when submitted, grants what is called 'implied status'. The Applicant will have visitor status until they have decided on the OWP (which is almost always positive).

We applied for inland PR and the OWP 20 days before my wife's 6 month visit expired. She was granted the OWP and there was no status issue.

Marina93

Dec 2, 2016
Manitoba
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Winnipeg
App. Filed.......
01-02-2017
AOR Received.
24-02-2017
Med's Done....
Upfront
LANDED..........
31-01-2018
canuck_in_uk said:
You are still allowed to send the old app until the end of January.

You can pay the PR fees anytime. You don't need to wait until you actually send the PR app.
Perfect! Your help is very much appreciated!