+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland / Inland

Ponderthis

May 21, 2015
Hi All:

I am a long time reader and thought I'd share my story, it might be typical and uncomplicated. Putting together an application is never easy and always a source of emotional and fiscal stress. I do have a couple of questions, since CIC agents are sometimes conflicting. My common-law partner and I are putting together our 'family class' application, we've been in a common-law relationship since 2-14-14. Neither of us have children from previous relationships. We are getting married next year on Canada Day weekend.

Inland versus Outland:

I first arrived in Canada on a student visa in 2010 for a one-year master's program. Following graduation, I received a post-graduation work-permit, while applying for more graduate schools. I was accepted into another Canadian institution for a PhD, starting my new program in 2012. As it stands, my study visa expires in September 2016. I meet and fell in love with my partner while studying.

Can I/we apply for an OUTLAND while visiting Canada on a Study Permit? The wait times for INLAND are scary, not to mention, it would be risky to leave the country while the application is being process. We are already almost finished with the Inland document process, but are eager to switch over to Outland if it's possible to do so.

If yes:

How do I properly fill out form IMM5409E? The language is vague and unclear, as my partner and I both live in Canada, together. Is anything complicated when it asks about maintaining contact and cohabitation? Moreover, on form IMM0008, since we both share an address but I am merely visiting until our situation gets permanently figured out - is there a difference between my Mailing Address and Permanent Address?

Fingerprints:

There seem to be new regulations about fingerprint expiry dates. I have just obtained my RCMP fingerprints, they expire in six months. My FBI prints, however, expired on May 21st, 2015. The last piece of paper we're waiting for is my partner's CRA notice of assessment, which is why we haven't submitted yet . In the meantime, we've learned about the possibility of applying OUTLAND while still living in Canada. As stated on the CIC website:

For the country you currently live in, the police certificate must be issued no more than six months before you apply.

For countries where you have lived for six months or more, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country.

Does this mean I don't have to get new FBI fingerprints? Does the possibility of an OUTLAND application complicate this?

Submission:

There is some confusion about where exactly we're supposed to submit: Ottawa or Mississauga? We are aware of the chance that we might have to travel to either Los Angeles or New York for an interview. In total, how long are outland US applications taking? Does our application stay in Canada or get sent to the US?

Sorry for all the questions, any help and feedback is greatly appreciated.

C

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
Yes, you can apply Outland even while you are physically present in Canada. Of course, maintaining legal status (as a student, visitor or worker) is required.

Maintaining contact and cohabitation - write the truth, as is. Provide proof of living together.

Mailing address and permanent address - your mailing address definitely should be the one in Canada, and probably your permanent address too, as you are legally residing in Canada.

I assume you are a U.S. Citizen. If you apply Outland, you will probably get PR before your study permit expires. If September 2016 rolls around and you still don't have PR (a highly unlikely scenario) you will have to apply online to change your status from student to a visitor. (Or extend your study visa, if that's possible and that's what you want to do.)

If you are ready to send in your application very soon, I would send in your "expired" FBI certificate, and add a note that you are aware that 3 months have passed, but that you are applying for a new Police Certificate and will be sending it to them as soon as you receive it. While a police certificate is a requirement for sending in the application, they seem to be lenient about FBI certificates because they take so long to obtain. There is nothing more complicated about police certificates with an Outland application.

You send all your documents to Mississauga, and after they evaluate your partner's eligibility, they will forward your application to the appropriate visa office, most likely Ottawa. (If Outland)

You can find the thread for US applicants going through the Ottawa Visa Office to get an idea of how long it will take.

I would strongly recommend applying Outland. There's no benefit to Inland for you, because you are already in Canada on a valid study permit and you can just continue studying while you wait. Inland MAY be a benefit for people who otherwise have no way of being with their partner.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ponderthis said:
Fingerprints:

There seem to be new regulations about fingerprint expiry dates. I have just obtained my RCMP fingerprints, they expire in six months. My FBI prints, however, expired on May 21st, 2015. The last piece of paper we're waiting for is my partner's CRA notice of assessment, which is why we haven't submitted yet . In the meantime, we've learned about the possibility of applying OUTLAND while still living in Canada. As stated on the CIC website:

For the country you currently live in, the police certificate must be issued no more than six months before you apply.

For countries where you have lived for six months or more, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country.

Does this mean I don't have to get new FBI fingerprints? Does the possibility of an OUTLAND application complicate this?
Sorry for the confusion, but when you say that your FBI `fingerprints' have expired...do you mean the actual prints that are on the card, or are you saying your FBI IHSR report itself is older than 3 months? Fingerprint cards DO expire, so if you have had your prints taken but haven't sent it in yet...it may be expired.

If it's the latter, I think you're good. The way the new policy is worded, police checks (including FBI) are now valid indefinitely if from a country where you are no longer living in...right?

Did CIC specifically ask you to submit fingerprints to the RCMP?

Ponderthis

May 21, 2015
Hi Ponga:

Yes, I was wondering if this were the case, considering the new fingerprint rules and regulations. The FBI IHSR itself is older than exactly 3 months old - I received it on February 21 of this year.

BubbOZ

Star Member
Sep 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, AU
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2013
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
File Transfer...
07-11-2013
Med's Done....
With APP
Passport Req..
23-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-01-2014
LANDED..........
24-01-2014
Go Outland and don't wait till you're married to send off the application. :)

As long as you're legal in Canada, it's normal to have the same address. For us, we only used our Canadian address.

Ponderthis said:
Hi All:

I am a long time reader and thought I'd share my story, it might be typical and uncomplicated. Putting together an application is never easy and always a source of emotional and fiscal stress. I do have a couple of questions, since CIC agents are sometimes conflicting. My common-law partner and I are putting together our 'family class' application, we've been in a common-law relationship since 2-14-14. Neither of us have children from previous relationships. We are getting married next year on Canada Day weekend.

Inland versus Outland:

I first arrived in Canada on a student visa in 2010 for a one-year master's program. Following graduation, I received a post-graduation work-permit, while applying for more graduate schools. I was accepted into another Canadian institution for a PhD, starting my new program in 2012. As it stands, my study visa expires in September 2016. I meet and fell in love with my partner while studying.

Can I/we apply for an OUTLAND while visiting Canada on a Study Permit? The wait times for INLAND are scary, not to mention, it would be risky to leave the country while the application is being process. We are already almost finished with the Inland document process, but are eager to switch over to Outland if it's possible to do so.

If yes:

How do I properly fill out form IMM5409E? The language is vague and unclear, as my partner and I both live in Canada, together. Is anything complicated when it asks about maintaining contact and cohabitation? Moreover, on form IMM0008, since we both share an address but I am merely visiting until our situation gets permanently figured out - is there a difference between my Mailing Address and Permanent Address?

Fingerprints:

Submission:

There is some confusion about where exactly we're supposed to submit: Ottawa or Mississauga? We are aware of the chance that we might have to travel to either Los Angeles or New York for an interview. In total, how long are outland US applications taking? Does our application stay in Canada or get sent to the US?

Sorry for all the questions, any help and feedback is greatly appreciated.

C