+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland from Poland - Certified true copies and translations

rt865

Apr 13, 2021
Poland
Category........
FAM
Hello everyone, my wife and I are in the process of filling out forms and gathering documents to apply for spousal sponsorship to Canada from Warsaw (I am Canadian/Polish, she is Ukrainian). I was hoping someone had experience applying from Poland and I have 3 questions in particular I'm looking for some confirmation on.

1. Is it ok to use any certified notary public/sworn translator in Poland for the translation and true copies? Our marriage certificate is in Ukrainian, but now we're based in Warsaw and it seems every sworn translator will only do Ukr->Pol->Eng Rather than Ukr->Eng. Has anyone had experience submitting an application with 2 translations for 1 document?

2. Are we able to translate unofficial documents by ourselves (ie. bank statements, lease annexes)?

3. Related to #2, what about informal documents such as letters from friends and family that support our relationship?

Thank you in advance :)

Last edited:

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
2. Are we able to translate unofficial documents by ourselves (ie. bank statements, lease annexes)?

3. Related to #2, what about informal documents such as letters from friends and family that support our relationship?
My understanding is that you can't translate documents yourself. People used to do this in the past, but a new policy was announced a few months ago that explicitly says you are not allowed to translate yourself any document.

As for #1, I haven't seen similar cases before. Hopefully someone else can help in this.

More information:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/refugee-protection/removal-risk-assessment/translation.html

https://lorettamurphytranslations.com/ircc-translation-policy/

rt865

Apr 13, 2021
Poland
Category........
FAM
Thanks for the reply @DimT44, and that's a bit disappointing to here.

In regards to something as informal as #3 (written letters by friends and family), do you think it would be sufficent enough to have a translation done through an online service, rather than a local notary as they are quite expensive?

If I'm understanding this correctly, the translations I have done for certified true copies (birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc) can be a translation of either the original document or the certified translation, correct?

Mike0921

May 5, 2021
I was in an immigration lecture a year ago, the consultant said people must submit original document, not certified copies. Can't translate by yourself. Also must be colored scans.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello everyone, my wife and I are in the process of filling out forms and gathering documents to apply for spousal sponsorship to Canada from Warsaw (I am Canadian/Polish, she is Ukrainian). I was hoping someone had experience applying from Poland and I have 3 questions in particular I'm looking for some confirmation on.

1. Is it ok to use any certified notary public/sworn translator in Poland for the translation and true copies? Our marriage certificate is in Ukrainian, but now we're based in Warsaw and it seems every sworn translator will only do Ukr->Pol->Eng Rather than Ukr->Eng. Has anyone had experience submitting an application with 2 translations for 1 document?

Thank you in advance :)
1. Not run into that but doubt it will be a problem, as long as it ends up in English.

3. Honestly it will be easier for you if you can have these informal letters signed in English, or do dual-language versions yourself i.e. signed in original English version one way or the other. (It is up to the individual signing to be comfortable that they are signing a document whose text they understand)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I was in an immigration lecture a year ago, the consultant said people must submit original document, not certified copies. Can't translate by yourself. Also must be colored scans.
This consultant sounds like an idiot or scammer, frankly - do not work with this consultant - this information is not true. The IRCC web-site is quite clear that certified copies of foreign language documents are normal - AND in some cases specifies which documents must be submitted in original.

In other words, they would not specify that some specific documents MUST be submitted in original if they never accepted copies.

And yes, I have specific example: Russian doc requirements - certified copies of most official docs accepted, but divorce decrees must be original. (Original here actually doesn't even mean the original issued at time of divorce - it must be an original doc issued by the civil authorities, i.e. an official extract or duplicate.)

Reactions: YVR123

Mike0921

May 5, 2021
This consultant sounds like an idiot or scammer, frankly - do not work with this consultant - this information is not true. The IRCC web-site is quite clear that certified copies of foreign language documents are normal - AND in some cases specifies which documents must be submitted in original.

In other words, they would not specify that some specific documents MUST be submitted in original if they never accepted copies.

And yes, I have specific example: Russian doc requirements - certified copies of most official docs accepted, but divorce decrees must be original. (Original here actually doesn't even mean the original issued at time of divorce - it must be an original doc issued by the civil authorities, i.e. an official extract or duplicate.)
The lecture was about EE, not family sponsorship. So I don't know if rules apply to both. I think what she meant was you can't submit certified copies alone. Have to also include the original ones.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The lecture was about EE, not family sponsorship. So I don't know if rules apply to both. I think what she meant was you can't submit certified copies alone. Have to also include the original ones.
I won't comment on EE as don't know for sure - although I doubt it. It absolutely is wrong for family sponsorship. (There may be some docs for which it is required, but exception not the rule)

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Unless the lecture was taken outside of Canada in a specific country, I think the rule they presented is over blown.
It's really country sepcific. Some they even ask for the original to be sent with the translated copied. But some countries, documents only needed to be translated and certified copy....etc It's really country specific.

rt865

Apr 13, 2021
Poland
Category........
FAM
The immigration lawyer I had spoken with specifically mentioned to not send original documents of anything - it must be certified true copies. It's very unfortunate Canada is not part of the Apostille convention, it would make this so much easier.

1. Not run into that but doubt it will be a problem, as long as it ends up in English.

3. Honestly it will be easier for you if you can have these informal letters signed in English, or do dual-language versions yourself i.e. signed in original English version one way or the other. (It is up to the individual signing to be comfortable that they are signing a document whose text they understand)
That's reassuring to hear in regards to #1.

Could you elaborate on #3, I'm not sure I quite understand fully. For example, say if my spouse's mother were to write us a letter in her native language (Ukrainian), and she was to sign it and then scan us a copy. Could I print it out and then add a translation done ourselves (or by a service) immediately behind it when submitting my documents?

Thanks for all the help guys :)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The immigration lawyer I had spoken with specifically mentioned to not send original documents of anything - it must be certified true copies. It's very unfortunate Canada is not part of the Apostille convention, it would make this so much easier.
I don't know why an apostille would be easier - just take it to any translator/notary working together, copy and translation, they afix their stamp - you're done. No need to go to government offices or anything more.

The key being that Canada in many/most countries will accept a local translation/notarization as long as they meet local requirements.

Could you elaborate on #3, I'm not sure I quite understand fully. For example, say if my spouse's mother were to write us a letter in her native language (Ukrainian), and she was to sign it and then scan us a copy. Could I print it out and then add a translation done ourselves (or by a service) immediately behind it when submitting my documents?
You help with the English or dual-language version or translate your mother-in-law's letter and she signs a version that is in English.

rt865

Apr 13, 2021
Poland
Category........
FAM
No need to go to government offices or anything more.
I suppose you're correct, there's just a bit less stress involved for me when I have an *official government* document.

You help with the English or dual-language version or translate your mother-in-law's letter and she signs a version that is in English.
Alright I will try this way, thanks a bunch @armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I suppose you're correct, there's just a bit less stress involved for me when I have an *official government* document.
There are various expressions in slavic languages (and I presume others for this): without the 'stamp' (government), it's somehow not real or doesn't count. You'll get over it.