+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland - are there applicants who stay apart until the full process is over?

jesmithers

Star Member
Oct 16, 2014
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-04-2015
AOR Received.
06-05-2015
File Transfer...
12-05-2015
Med's Done....
14-09-2014
Passport Req..
25-06-2015 (DM)
VISA ISSUED...
06-07-2015 (COPR)
LANDED..........
31-08-2015
Hi there! Just wondering but I read that a lot of outland applicants up and move with their spouse until their application is completed. I'm curious if this is the most common case or if there's people who wait apart for 8-10 months.

I'm only at my 2 month point but I find that my husband and I are at odds with each other all the time and I'm constantly keeping myself busy so I'm not thinking about how much it sucks being apart from him. I don't even know where I'll be in 8 months...are there cases where applicants give up? ( I would never.. it's just really sad).

I guess I'm looking for support or something. I feel like I'm subconsciously avoiding my husband to avoid being reminded of this ridiculously long process. I'm wondering if this is normal in this type of situation.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would guess the majority are separated - especially in cases where the applicant is from a non visa exempt country and getting a visitor visa to come to Canada while the application is in process has a low probability of succeeding. Nevermind 8-10 months, there are many people here who have gone through years of being separated while waiting for their outland applications to be processed.

triplem

Jun 23, 2015
I can totally relate to you. We have just started the process, with our application being sent in May 2015, however we have been living apart our entire relationship. We are both miserable, however I think he handles it much better than I do, which I am happy about. But it is going to be a long haul and yes we are planning on being apart the entire time except for a couple of visits thru the year. Its a brutal and inhumane way to live. Hope you find the strength, and remember you are definetly not alone. :)

mohan99

Star Member
Apr 5, 2015
Ur strong.. I have a differnt query though

If i marry before landing do i need to give all my job ref letters etc all over again? To cic
To take my spouse along

I shall get visa in a few days as thr PP has already been submitted.

Please help as my marriage to a long tine friend now rests on this

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
If you marry before landing you have to inform CIC and the visa office and add your spouse to the application.

cali2bc

Star Member
Feb 6, 2015
California, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2015
Doc's Request.
23-10-2015
AOR Received.
11-06-2015
File Transfer...
14-07-2015
Med's Done....
09-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-12-2015 (Decision Made 25-11-2015)
LANDED..........
08-02-2016
jesmithers said:
Hi there! Just wondering but I read that a lot of outland applicants up and move with their spouse until their application is completed. I'm curious if this is the most common case or if there's people who wait apart for 8-10 months.

I'm only at my 2 month point but I find that my husband and I are at odds with each other all the time and I'm constantly keeping myself busy so I'm not thinking about how much it sucks being apart from him. I don't even know where I'll be in 8 months...are there cases where applicants give up? ( I would never.. it's just really sad).

I guess I'm looking for support or something. I feel like I'm subconsciously avoiding my husband to avoid being reminded of this ridiculously long process. I'm wondering if this is normal in this type of situation.
It's our plan to stay apart until I land, with the exception of one visit. We figure that we've been doing long distance for four years now, so what's another 6-7ish months? I can honestly tell you though that you're not alone--I am experiencing those same thoughts and I haven't been very pleasant or patient with my husband. It's just the anticipation of officially waiting that makes it harder for me. The only reason that I am still in the US is because I have a decent job and I need to save as much money as possible before law school.

Stay strong, and think about the reasons that you're trying to tough it out until the end. If those reasons don't matter to you as much anymore, then go ahead and stay with him for the rest of the process. If they still matter, then know that you're not alone and this process won't last forever. We're all on this crazy train together. ;)

cdnsponsor

May 24, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-09-2014
File Transfer...
14-10-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
15-01-2014
Interview........
08-04-2015
i think most are apart, as mentioned below...or above...we have been apart for 14 months now. we should feel close to the end of this process but we've been stuck in "medical received" for 2 months now. according to our lawyer, CIC is still doing background checks. good luck..a long distance relationship/marriage is very hard on each partner

bigredmoose

Dec 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, AUS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2014
AOR Received.
24-12-2014
File Transfer...
06-01-2015
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
27/04/2015 (COPR)
LANDED..........
08/07/2015
I feel your pain, jesmithers. I haven't seen my wife since August 31, 2014. In the whole time we've been a couple, since January 2013, we've only been physically together a grand total of 6 weeks. While we don't require visas to visit each other, the distance and the fact that we both have children makes it prohibitively expensive and vacation days get used up real quick. Absolutely everything gets more complicated in a long distance relationship and very little is easy. People ask me why I would do this, and the answer is simple. I love her, she loves me and we are absolutely meant to be together. The problems seem insignificant with that in mind. I'd be an idiot to not do whatever it takes to be a proper couple.

Light at the end of the long, dark tunnel: They land in 14 days, 3 hours, 33 minutes and 13 seconds.

Canadianinlove

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2015
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
File Transfer...
01-06-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-02-2015
Interview........
29-10-2015
Passport Req..
30-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2015
LANDED..........
02-11-2015
you're not alone. we have been apart for over a year and we submitted our application in april of this year. My hubby has been to Canada 3 times to visit but never for very along 5-7 days. We are both working full time so finding the time to make it all work is hard.

Stay positive and know that you are not alone. Must of us who have applied through Outland are in the same boat.

We did think about having him come here on a visitors visa and staying together but are too afraid to complicate the situation. We figure is it best just to wait the process out and comply the best we can.

;D

DanOCan

Star Member
Aug 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2015
Doc's Request.
23-10-2015
AOR Received.
07-05-2015
File Transfer...
18-06-2015
Med's Done....
07-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2015
LANDED..........
10-01-2016
jesmithers said:
We've been a couple for three years and have gotten very good at the long distance relationship routine. Our application was filed in April (it took a long time before we could apply because there were divorce issues to sort out before we could get married) so we hope we're in the home stretch now.

While we would have loved to live together, we always felt the gamble of having her come for a long visit and then extend her stay was too risky. The whole "maintaining ties to your home country" thing was a big hangup for us. For her to come and live with me for a long stretch would mean she would have had to surrender her apartment and leave her job. Then what would we do if her entry was refused or her request to extend her visit was denied? Sure, everyone says it is a common practice for US citizens (Heck, before we could get married, even CIC told us she should visit me for a year to establish common law status.) but we weren't going to risk her being sent back to the US with no place to live and no job. We felt minimizing the stress was important for our relationship, especially since she would be the one assuming all the risk.

It has been a struggle and it has been difficult, but I think we have adapted to the situation pretty well. In the early days of our relationship we travelled to see each other much more frequently, but only having limited vacation time at work and limited finances to buy flights soon meant we needed to pick and choose our visits more carefully.

The key to our success has been communication. Sure, we do the routine things like Skype almost nightly and send random "thinking of you" texts during the day, but it really comes down to communicating feelings and concerns. For us, the other person's activities are a big deal. There are certain things I would like to do, or places I would like to go, but I won't because I know it would bother her to miss out on them. The same goes for certain things on her end. The only way we were able to establish those "boundaries" was to be willing to open up and let the other person know how we felt. "You know, I have wanted to go to that museum for the longest time and it is something I was really hoping we could experience together. When I finally get to go with you, I think it would take away from the experience if you had already been there with your friends." It's not easy to be that vulnerable with someone, and it certainly takes a lot of discipline to be willing to sacrifice something you want to do because your partner is bothered by it. When doing the long distance thing, it adds a whole dimension to things because you really need to take the other person into account, even if they aren't there.

We try and keep things fun too. When we have our date nights, we'll jump onto Skype and cook the same meal together at the same time. We'll try and watch the same movie at the same time. We've even been known to try and find move showtimes that are close to each other (we're only one time zone apart) and go to the theatre together virtually. I was able to shift my lunch hour at work so some days we can even have lunch dates. We'll send random photos of ourselves to each other when we can't Skype -- just routine "here I am sitting at my desk" or "Here I am waiting for the train" type things. Just that little bit of communication to let the other know we're thinking about them all the time, even though we're 1500 miles apart.

We try and take a long term view of things. Having been apart this much means we've really learned how to communicate and -- even more important -- how to trust each other. When we're finally together, we will appreciate it even more than we would if she had been here the whole time. We'll understand what a privilege being together really is and we won't take each other for granted. We will know we've "battle tested" our relationship under harsh conditions and come through it successfully.

Remember, the hottest fire produces the strongest steel. Hang in there and know your time will come. Better days are ahead!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
jesmithers said:

I'd say that outland sponsorship where people are living apart is most common. Sometimes by choice (still working in the US), sometimes not by choice (many are unable to get a visa to visit Canada). My wife and I fell into the former - she didn't come up until the sponsorship was complete. Fortunately she was American so we can easily visit each other visa-free and it is a 1 hour flight from NYC to Toronto (I made a lot of trips). It can be hard being apart and the road sometimes becomes rocky, but most of us do make it fine. Frequent visits, everyday skype calls, etc help a lot. We'd even eat dinner together via Skype! Look at the bright side - US outland is fairly quick and you husband can come up to visit (and vice versa). There are people on this forum that have been away from their spouses for years (check out some times for people getting sponsored from Pakistan or people going through Singapore visa office) and because of visa issues or sheer distance or both, visits are few and far between.

Hang in there!

Mayflower23

Star Member
Nov 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2014
Doc's Request.
07-05-2015
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
File Transfer...
11-02-2015
Med's Done....
22-10-2014
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
02-07-2015
My husband and I started a long distance relationship in December of 2009, got married in July of 2014, submitted our application in November 2014 and we still have not received PPR.

We have only been physically together for about 6 weeks throughout the 5.5 year relationship. Our anniversary is just around the corner on July 12, and I'm just hoping he will be here before that.

It is very difficult to keep positive during the times that we have been apart. But I found that at least one person needs to be positive when the other person is down. And yes communication is key! Whatever it is that you are feeling, let the other person know. Otherwise it wont be resolved and it will be all bottled up, which may cause you to have a major breakdown later on.

Whenever I am feeling down, I just think about the future we will have together. Looking forward to going on dinner dates, vacations, and just sitting together and watching t.v.

Good luck to all of us who are apart while the applications get approved!!!

rugrat907

Feb 3, 2015
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-11-2014, remeds on 04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
We are living apart right now and while I would love to be in Canada, my wife is concerned about the outside chance that something happens and I am refused PR - I'm 55 and if I get turned down, then what am I supposed to do...no job, no place to live, etc. So we wait apart. It's especially tough right now because CIC has done something with our file and we still don't have SA and despite calls and even an attempt through her good for nothing MP, we aren't getting anywhere. Plus she has other family issues that are causing her a lot of stress.

Today I'm tempted to just chuck it all here in the U.S., go to Canada and never look back. She needs me there more than ever to help with some of the stresses she is facing and it is tearing me apart to not be able to be there for her. But I'll be logical about it, at least today. Sigh...this is a good topic today because I need to hear the positive outlooks.

Celandrius

Star Member
Apr 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 11th. 2014
AOR Received.
SA- August, 28th, 2014
File Transfer...
August 28th, 2014
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
April 23rd, 2015
LANDED..........
April 28th, 2015
My husband and I got married, and he left to go back home (back to Canada) literally 3 days after. We were apart for 2 months before I came to Canada to be with him. I left for a month in 2014, came back, we filed. I stayed the entire time. I couldn't bear being apart after being apart for so long. I've yet to go back to the US at all (minus the minor crossing at the border at my landing).
You can go stir crazy either way, just pick what would work best and honestly just go with it. Just make sure you extend your visits if you are in Canada!