+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland application returned for listing "living in Canada"

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
Recently for a few people who applied Outland living in Canada Family class in the document checklist had their applications returned for listing "PA living in Canada" on form imm1344, question #6. The ircc paperwork said they should have listed "living outside Canada" even though PA is living in Canada and indicated as such in the document checklist.

I checked the detailed instruction guide and there was no instruction to this effect for #6. Has anyone else run into this? Is ircc making new rules?

If you have to list PA as living outside Canada despite choosing outland living in Canada family class, what do you put for #7 on the document checklist? Also what do you put for current living address and living history? Do you use their Canadian address and include how long they've been living here?

Last edited:

Rrox

Sep 14, 2021
If you are applying Outland, you can not be living in Canada when you submit. You'd need to do inland if you put you are living in canada

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
If you are applying Outland, you can not be living in Canada when you submit. You'd need to do inland if you put you are living in canada
No, that's incorrect. If you look at the document checklist, you'll see there are 3 options:
1) Living inside Canada and applying under Spousal Class (this is inland)
2) Living outside Canada and applying under family class (outland while PA is not in Canada)
3) Living INSIDE Canada and applying under Family class (outland while living in Canada)

The last two options both go to Sydney, Nova Scotia for processing. The inland option goes to Mississauga, ON.

Rrox

Sep 14, 2021
Okay, then my entire experience is invalidated. I was informed by the IRCC and border agents that you can only apply inland if you are physically in the country.

Cause that is the research I was given a year ago when I started

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
Okay, then my entire experience is invalidated. I was informed by the IRCC and border agents that you can only apply inland if you are physically in the country.

Cause that is the research I was given a year ago when I started
They're right in a way, in that if you want to apply inland you have to be physically in the country. But you can also apply outland while in Canada. if you apply outland either in Canada or outside of Canada, then you can't apply for an OWP, but it does allow you to leave the country without risk of ircc saying you are abandoning your application if you can't get back into Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That's incorrect. There are tons of us on this forum (myself included) who have sponsored spouses via the outland route while the spouse has been living in Canada. It's totally possible.

Reactions: Buletruck

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
That's incorrect. There are tons of us on this forum (myself included) who have sponsored spouses via the outland route while the spouse has been living in Canada. It's totally possible.
Any insight into Q6 on imm1344 and what to do?

Oct 17, 2021
Bump. Seriously, we are totally confused by this particular question. Anyone know what to put as mailing and/or residential address when the PA is applying outland while living in Canada on a visitor visa?

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Bump. Seriously, we are totally confused by this particular question. Anyone know what to put as mailing and/or residential address when the PA is applying outland while living in Canada on a visitor visa?
Do you have any address outside Canada any longer? If not I think you have to list your Canadian address otherwise what could you use? By the way, my understanding is that ircc won't care if you're listing your address as being in Canada if you're on a visitor visa and may even think it's a good thing that you're in Canada with your spouse. However, you'd want to be careful in any interactions with CBSA to not call an address in Canada your residential address if you're on a visitor visa as that might raise red flags for them.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I only have a strong opinion on one half of your question - for your mailing address, use the address WHERE YOU WANT TO GET MAIL. (if at all possible, in Canada).

This may be obvious but apparently is not.

bumstar1

Mar 24, 2019
Hi wsidd, im back again

please how did you end up answering this question

Form imm1344, question #6 about Spousing living in or outside canada

its all so confusing

any other tips about applying outland whilst PA is in canada will be appreciated please