+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland application for both sponsor and spouse living and working overseas

paiting

Aug 24, 2015
Hi there everyone,

First of all, thank you for contributing to this forum to make it easier for newcomers like me.

I am Singaporean and my fiancee is Canadian. She will sponsor me as spouse once we get married next year. We are both living and working in Singapore currently (she moved over after high school, but still has some uncles and aunts living in Canada).

My question is, do you guys foresee any problems with our application, since both of us effectively do not have Canadian experience in the job markets, nor any property etc in Canada.

Just want to hear your opinions/ advise, so me and my fiancee can take some early actions to speed up our application process later on.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As part of your application package, your fiancee will need to include proof that she has plans to return to Canada to live there once your PR visa is approved. If CIC is not satisfied that she actually plans to return to Canada, it's possible your application could be refused. Since it sounds like your fiancee has been in Singapore for a while now and is somewhat established there, you'll want to make sure you provide strong evidence of her return.

She will want to show that she has started looking into employment opportunities in Canada (e.g. contacting employers, applying for jobs). If at all possible, it would be ideal to have a job secured that she will start once she returns to Canada. You will also want to show evidence of making arrangements for where you will live once you are in Canada. This could be working with a real estate agent to either rent or purchase a property - or it could also be a letter from your fiancee's family members in Canada confirming that you will be living with them when you first return to Canada (until you can find your own place). It would probably be a good idea for her to open a bank account in Canada now and start moving some assets there to establish savings in Canada.

paiting

Aug 24, 2015
scylla said:
As part of your application package, your fiancee will need to include proof that she has plans to return to Canada to live there once your PR visa is approved. If CIC is not satisfied that she actually plans to return to Canada, it's possible your application could be refused. Since it sounds like your fiancee has been in Singapore for a while now and is somewhat established there, you'll want to make sure you provide strong evidence of her return.

She will want to show that she has started looking into employment opportunities in Canada (e.g. contacting employers, applying for jobs). If at all possible, it would be ideal to have a job secured that she will start once she returns to Canada. You will also want to show evidence of making arrangements for where you will live once you are in Canada. This could be working with a real estate agent to either rent or purchase a property - or it could also be a letter from your fiancee's family members in Canada confirming that you will be living with them when you first return to Canada (until you can find your own place). It would probably be a good idea for her to open a bank account in Canada now and start moving some assets there to establish savings in Canada.
thanks scylla!

Kate CP

Dec 1, 2015
hello!

my husband and i are in a similar situation, in so far as i am a canadian citizen by birth, but i have basically always lived and worked in the UK.

Although we have done some research into jobs and properties, really all of that is a long way off, because we can't do anything for definite until he gets his PR.

what else can i provide them to prove that i intend on moving back there as soon as he is approved? I'm wary of opening bank accounts etc right now, mainly because we don't have any money to put in them at this stage! all our money is pretty well tied up in the property we own in london, england.

it would be such a shame if I wasn't approved as a sponsor because they doubted my intentions to return. is this a common issue for outland applicants where both sponsor and sponsored are outland?

any words of reassurance greatly received.

thanks!

Kate

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Kate CP said:
Although we have done some research into jobs and properties, really all of that is a long way off, because we can't do anything for definite until he gets his PR.

what else can i provide them to prove that i intend on moving back there as soon as he is approved? I'm wary of opening bank accounts etc right now, mainly because we don't have any money to put in them at this stage! all our money is pretty well tied up in the property we own in london, england.

it would be such a shame if I wasn't approved as a sponsor because they doubted my intentions to return. is this a common issue for outland applicants where both sponsor and sponsored are outland?
When are you planning to return to Canada? London averages less than a year, so if you are actually wanting to do this, it really isn't a long way off at all.

Write out a detailed plan for leaving the UK and establishing yourselves in Canada. You can show the research you have done for jobs and properties. If you guys have any foreign credentials or qualifications, you can start the process to get them recognized in Canada. If you have kids, research schools. Have friends and family write letters confirming you are moving to Canada. Show correspondence with realtors in London regarding selling your property.

I have never seen CIC refuse an app over proof of intent to return. Show what you can. If CIC isn't satisfied, they will request more proof further into the process. By that time, you should have more solid proofs anyways.

Kate CP

Dec 1, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
When are you planning to return to Canada? London averages less than a year, so if you are actually wanting to do this, it really isn't a long way off at all.

Write out a detailed plan for leaving the UK and establishing yourselves in Canada. You can show the research you have done for jobs and properties. If you guys have any foreign credentials or qualifications, you can start the process to get them recognized in Canada. If you have kids, research schools. Have friends and family write letters confirming you are moving to Canada. Show correspondence with realtors in London regarding selling your property.

I have never seen CIC refuse an app over proof of intent to return. Show what you can. If CIC isn't satisfied, they will request more proof further into the process. By that time, you should have more solid proofs anyways.
thanks so much for this, canuck_in_uk - you've been so helpful.

I guess I had assumed that it would take at least a year and a half, and probably more. But the more I read on here, it does seem to be shorter! Exciting!! And also eeeek - so much to do!

Luckily, my degree is from a Canadian university, but great plan re: getting my husband's credentials recognised. And I will get friends and family to write letters confirming our move.

THANK YOU! we've only just begun this process, but already this forum has been more than invaluable. :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
canuck_in_uk said:
I have never seen CIC refuse an app over proof of intent to return.
We've actually seen a few refusals for this reason on this forum. It absolutely does happen. So proof of intent to return is important.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
scylla said:
We've actually seen a few refusals for this reason on this forum. It absolutely does happen. So proof of intent to return is important.
Here on the forum, I've seen many requests for more proof when CIC wasn't satisfied with what was originally sent; at that point, it is usually near the end of the process and people have more proofs. I've not seen any refusals for this reason.

A quick look on Canlii shows a few cases but in every single one, the sponsor didn't submit ANY proof of intent to return; they gave only the expression of intent to return, which counts for nothing.

Kate CP said:
I guess I had assumed that it would take at least a year and a half, and probably more. But the more I read on here, it does seem to be shorter! Exciting!! And also eeeek - so much to do!

Luckily, my degree is from a Canadian university, but great plan re: getting my husband's credentials recognised. And I will get friends and family to write letters confirming our move.
So in my first post, I meant to state something like: Like London, Singapore has a long posted processing time because it processes apps from non visa-exempt countries; London averages less than a year, so if you are actually wanting to do this, it really isn't a long way off at all. Don't know how I managed to cut out the first bit lol.

Anyways, if you have a look at the Singapore thread, you'll see many applicants from this year already have approval. Put together a solid app with great proofs and you should have no issues.