+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland Application Border Experience

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
I just crossed the border from the US. I'm currently visiting my wife in BC. When the Border Agent asked the purpose of my visit, I told him that I was visiting my wife. They brought me into the office and ran a police check and a check on my immigration status. They noticed that I had a 6 foot ladder in my van and a few painting tools ( I am a Painting Contractor in the US and I needed the ladder to change a light bulb at my new home in Canada) so they searched my vehicle. I didn't mind. Nothing to hide. Pretty scarry though. I had already driven 500 miles across Washington to get to the border crossing and didn't want to get turned away.

Final analysis: They confirmed that my immigration application was in process. They reminded me that I am not permitted to work while I am in Canada and sent me on my way. Also, the factor that was critical to determining their decision to let me into the country was because I had an OUTLAND application in process and the agent stated that I wouldnt want to mess that up. (Confirming the information that I had previously gathered from this blog.) She was right!

tara85

Mar 8, 2008
Hi, just wondering what she meant by messing that up? I was under the impression that being refused at the border had no bearing on an outland application, only inland?

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
She was just acknowleging that because I am applying "outland" that I am unlikely to remain in canada beyond my legal visitor status. Some people come to canada as visitors with the intention of staying permanently and applying for PR status "In Canada". Though it is legal to apply for PR after entering the country under false pretenses, it is still illegal to enter the country under false pretenses. Because I have applied with an "outland" status, I am more likely to avoid breaking canadian laws and leave when I am suppose to so they feel more assured about my true intentions and thus allowed me to enter. They are correct. I wouldn't want to do anything to mess up my chances to immigrate to canada. If I were to violate the law and get caught, I would have to wait 2 years before I could re-apply for a PR Visa.

MonzB

Nov 28, 2016
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NOVA SCOTIA
App. Filed.......
November 1, 2017
rgvinson777 said:
I just crossed the border from the US. I'm currently visiting my wife in BC. When the Border Agent asked the purpose of my visit, I told him that I was visiting my wife. They brought me into the office and ran a police check and a check on my immigration status. They noticed that I had a 6 foot ladder in my van and a few painting tools ( I am a Painting Contractor in the US and I needed the ladder to change a light bulb at my new home in Canada) so they searched my vehicle. I didn't mind. Nothing to hide. Pretty scarry though. I had already driven 500 miles across Washington to get to the border crossing and didn't want to get turned away.

Final analysis: They confirmed that my immigration application was in process. They reminded me that I am not permitted to work while I am in Canada and sent me on my way. Also, the factor that was critical to determining their decision to let me into the country was because I had an OUTLAND application in process and the agent stated that I wouldnt want to mess that up. (Confirming the information that I had previously gathered from this blog.) She was right!

I have an outline application in for my Husband and he is coming to visa me this month for the holiday...do you think he will have issues with immigration?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rgvinson777 said:
She was just acknowleging that because I am applying "outland" that I am unlikely to remain in canada beyond my legal visitor status. Some people come to canada as visitors with the intention of staying permanently and applying for PR status "In Canada". Though it is legal to apply for PR after entering the country under false pretenses, it is still illegal to enter the country under false pretenses. Because I have applied with an "outland" status, I am more likely to avoid breaking canadian laws and leave when I am suppose to so they feel more assured about my true intentions and thus allowed me to enter. They are correct. I wouldn't want to do anything to mess up my chances to immigrate to canada. If I were to violate the law and get caught, I would have to wait 2 years before I could re-apply for a PR Visa.
While I am happy that your experience yielded a positive result, I respectfully disagree that an Inland applicant is, by default, at higher risk of overstaying.

Would you consider elaborating on what you meant in saying "it is illegal to enter the country under false pretenses"? CBSA is well aware of something called Dual Intent and often give the foreign national the `benefit of the doubt', as long as they are satisfied that the person will leave before losing status, if their PR is denied.

Technically, if CBSA had issued you an Exclusion Order, you could have banned from re-entering Canada for up to 5 years.

Again, I'm glad it worked out for you.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Ponga said:
While I am happy that your experience yielded a positive result, I respectfully disagree that an Inland applicant is, by default, at higher risk of overstaying.

Would you consider elaborating on what you meant in saying "it is illegal to enter the country under false pretenses"? CBSA is well aware of something called Dual Intent and often give the foreign national the `benefit of the doubt', as long as they are satisfied that the person will leave before losing status, if their PR is denied.

Technically, if CBSA had issued you an Exclusion Order, you could have banned from re-entering Canada for up to 5 years.

Again, I'm glad it worked out for you.
this original thread (and the comment you quoted) is from 2008, so there has been many changes to the "system" since then.

MonzB said:
I have an outline application in for my Husband and he is coming to visa me this month for the holiday...do you think he will have issues with immigration?
this thread is from 2008, so its doubtful that member is still around to answer your question. no one can tell you for sure whether your husband will have trouble at the border. this is specific to the officer he meets at point of entry. the important thing to remember is to be prepared to proved "ties" back home and/or proof of your pr application and use the term "visit", not "living in" or "moving to" in relation to the purpose of the visit. Only answer the questions asked, and don't elaborate on answers.

MonzB

Nov 28, 2016
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NOVA SCOTIA
App. Filed.......
November 1, 2017
CDNPR2014 said:
this original thread (and the comment you quoted) is from 2008, so there has been many changes to the "system" since then.

this thread is from 2008, so its doubtful that member is still around to answer your question. no one can tell you for sure whether your husband will have trouble at the border. this is specific to the officer he meets at point of entry. the important thing to remember is to be prepared to proved "ties" back home and/or proof of your pr application and use the term "visit", not "living in" or "moving to" in relation to the purpose of the visit. Only answer the questions asked, and don't elaborate on answers.
Thanks!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CDNPR2014 said:
Oh FFS! I need to pay more attention to things like, oh...I don't know...previous posting dates! :D

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Ponga said:
Oh FFS! I need to pay more attention to things like, oh...I don't know...previous posting dates! :D
it happens to the best of us! :)

MonzB

Nov 28, 2016
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NOVA SCOTIA
App. Filed.......
November 1, 2017
Ponga said:
LOL...Same here.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Well, I already had a reply in my head before I realised this is a 2008 post. But, you could mess up by working illegally in Canada I suppose, and get slapped with an exclusion order at the border for this reason. Then you'd need to apply for a TRP/ARC. This OP got pulled over due to the ladder and paint in the truck(obviously). Once I crossed the border into the states with a bag full of tools my dad left in the jeep, and that was enough for the guard to start questioning.