+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland applicant trying to return to Canada - "cannot determine eligibility" message on flight check in

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
My spouse originally entered Canada in August 2019 as an American citizen. It took us awhile to assemble the inland application, which we did in October 2020. In June 2020 we had received a visitor record to extend his visit until December 2020. Then in December 2020 we submitted a second extension request and were granted until December 2021. In April 2021, the inland application was returned to us. In May 2021 we submitted an outland application so that my spouse could leave the country once covid restrictions lifted and visit family in the USA. He has held legal status since his initial arrival in 2019. We are still waiting to hear back on his outland application.

Originally his return flight was last week (had to reschedule to this week due to covid test not arriving in time). He has a roundtrip itinerary originating in Canada (Alberta to Florida) through Westjet and partner airline Delta. For his return flight he had to check in with Delta. When he tried, he received the following message :

"Based on your itinerary, we cannot determine your eligibility to travel and remain in Canada. To complete check-in, please enter the date you will depart from Canada then select SUBMIT"

I am worried he has been flagged somehow. Has anyone else gotten this message? We are planning on booking him a separate return ticket to Florida just in case, but worried what this means when he goes tomorrow for his rescheduled flight.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My spouse originally entered Canada in August 2019 as an American citizen. It took us awhile to assemble the inland application, which we did in October 2020. In June 2020 we had received a visitor record to extend his visit until December 2020. Then in December 2020 we submitted a second extension request and were granted until December 2021. In April 2021, the inland application was returned to us. In May 2021 we submitted an outland application so that my spouse could leave the country once covid restrictions lifted and visit family in the USA. He has held legal status since his initial arrival in 2019. We are still waiting to hear back on his outland application.

Originally his return flight was last week (had to reschedule to this week due to covid test not arriving in time). He has a roundtrip itinerary originating in Canada (Alberta to Florida) through Westjet and partner airline Delta. For his return flight he had to check in with Delta. When he tried, he received the following message :

"Based on your itinerary, we cannot determine your eligibility to travel and remain in Canada. To complete check-in, please enter the date you will depart from Canada then select SUBMIT"

I am worried he has been flagged somehow. Has anyone else gotten this message? We are planning on booking him a separate return ticket to Florida just in case, but worried what this means when he goes tomorrow for his rescheduled flight.
He's not entitled to remain or live in Canada during this time. He's only entitled to visit temporarily.

He would need to be a PR or hold a work permit or a study permit in order to be eligible to "remain".

I expect this is why you have received this message. The airline is expecting him to have a return flight since he's only eligible to visit Canada as this time.

In terms of whether he'll have issues boarding tomorrow, I can't comment on that. I think you need to get on the phone with the airline.

wsidd

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
He's not entitled to remain or live in Canada during this time. He's only entitled to visit temporarily.

He would need to be a PR or hold a work permit or a study permit in order to be eligible to "remain".

I expect this is why you have received this message. The airline is expecting him to have a return flight since he's only eligible to visit Canada as this time.

In terms of whether he'll have issues boarding tomorrow, I can't comment on that. I think you need to get on the phone with the airline.
The weird thing is that he's booked one way before into Canada with no issues. As I mentioned also, we are planning on booking him a return to Florida just in case. Wanted to see if anyone else has run into this.

miguelca

May 6, 2021
The weird thing is that he's booked one way before into Canada with no issues. As I mentioned also, we are planning on booking him a return to Florida just in case. Wanted to see if anyone else has run into this.
The airline will never say no to you when selling you tickets :p