+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland Applicant: Logistics of Timing Our Move from USA

Dec 30, 2020
Good morning all,
I am sponsoring my common-law husband and he is an outland applicant (we both are living in Los Angeles right now). While our application hasn't even been received yet, I'm already trying to work out the logistics of how we effect our move if and when we're approved (of course, I'm also already anticipating it being returned to us as I used abbreviations in the addresses on the application form and just found out we're not to do that - ugh).
As mentioned, we currently live in Los Angeles right now. We want to move to the Vancouver area. Once the COPR is received, we want to fly up to Vancouver to secure a housing rental, however, we won't be bringing our stuff with us on this trip. Our idea was to secure the rental, then fly home, pack up the items we know we'll need for that rental, then drive those back up. There could be a couple of weeks time between flying in and the driving up.
My question is, how should we do this, logistically? Should we fly up and then he just enter as a visitor for the first trip when we're finding a rental, and then enter using his COPR when we drive in with our belongings? Or should he enter with his COPR when we fly in? I'm concerned if we do the latter that he won't be able to enter Canada when we drive up as he will not yet be in receipt of his PR card (I'm hearing it takes upwards of 6 months to receive it) and if we applied for a PRTD in the meantime, that could take a few months to process also (and we likely will only need a few weeks at most).
Has anyone been in a similar situation and how did you make your move?
Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good morning all,
I am sponsoring my common-law husband and he is an outland applicant (we both are living in Los Angeles right now). While our application hasn't even been received yet, I'm already trying to work out the logistics of how we effect our move if and when we're approved (of course, I'm also already anticipating it being returned to us as I used abbreviations in the addresses on the application form and just found out we're not to do that - ugh).
As mentioned, we currently live in Los Angeles right now. We want to move to the Vancouver area. Once the COPR is received, we want to fly up to Vancouver to secure a housing rental, however, we won't be bringing our stuff with us on this trip. Our idea was to secure the rental, then fly home, pack up the items we know we'll need for that rental, then drive those back up. There could be a couple of weeks time between flying in and the driving up.
My question is, how should we do this, logistically? Should we fly up and then he just enter as a visitor for the first trip when we're finding a rental, and then enter using his COPR when we drive in with our belongings? Or should he enter with his COPR when we fly in? I'm concerned if we do the latter that he won't be able to enter Canada when we drive up as he will not yet be in receipt of his PR card (I'm hearing it takes upwards of 6 months to receive it) and if we applied for a PRTD in the meantime, that could take a few months to process also (and we likely will only need a few weeks at most).
Has anyone been in a similar situation and how did you make your move?
Thank you!
Is your partner American?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes he’s American. I’m sorry, I should’ve mentioned that in my original post.
In that case he can very easily re-enter Canada by land using his COPR. No need for a PRTD. Technically this is true of anyone re-entering by land from the US (not just US citizens). I would land on your first trip and then use the COPR to re-enter. There's nothing here you should be worried about.

Dec 30, 2020
Oh wonderful! In my head I thought we would have to relinquish the COPR (thought it might have been good for a single entry only) and then be in limbo until the PR card arrived. Thanks for your help!