+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Out of status

User4768

Apr 15, 2020
Hello! I have been out of status in Canada for 3 years now.
I came to Canada as a student and wasn’t able to complete my studies and ended up staying without proper authorization. I tried to renew my status when my visa expired but I got in touch with a scammer and lost money and since then just working and staying illegally:(. I don’t know if I have any options to be legally in Canada, but I really want to stay here and hoping to find a way to get a legal status since 3 years as I have made canada my home even though I am illegal now. If I could help or advice, please please help me out. I haven’t been to my home for 5 years , haven’t seen my parents for 5 years, it’s a very difficult time. I know I made a mistake by overstaying but I just couldn’t go back home. :( hope to hear some positive advice.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You only option to try to make your status legal is an H&C. It will take around 3 years and will also make you known to CIC as someone with illegal status which could lead to removal. You will have your H&C case heard even if you are removed. Approval rates are not great.

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
I came to Canada as a student and wasn’t able to complete my studies and ended up staying without proper authorization. I tried to renew my status when my visa expired but I got in touch with a scammer and lost money and since then just working and staying illegally:(. I don’t know if I have any options to be legally in Canada, but I really want to stay here and hoping to find a way to get a legal status since 3 years as I have made canada my home even though I am illegal now. If I could help or advice, please please help me out. I haven’t been to my home for 5 years , haven’t seen my parents for 5 years, it’s a very difficult time. I know I made a mistake by overstaying but I just couldn’t go back home. :( hope to hear some positive advice.
If you have a boyfriend or girlfriend here if you live with them or are planning to get married to them you could apply through spousal sponsorship. Obviously only do this if relationship is legit otherwise you can face further problems.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As others have said, really very few options:

1) If you have a Canadian common law partner or spouse, that person can sponsor you for PR.
2) Apply for PR under H&C. Application processing time will be around 3 years and approval rates tend to be low.

That's pretty much it.

ZezeB

Feb 3, 2022
Hi,

I know it has been a while since this was posted. Hoping and praying all went well in the end for you. I know someone in this same situation in 2024, if you don’t mind me asking, how did you navigate this ? Thank you