+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Out of status impact on landing

gayfish

Star Member
Jun 17, 2019
Hi everyone, I’ve been searching through this forum and googling but haven’t found any relevant info. Would really appreciate insights from anyone in the same situation before or who could point us to helpful info.

I sponsored my parents and got PPR last week. They are reaching their 6 month limit as visitor visa in less than 2 weeks, so I was thinking we would submit their passport for PR visa then apply for extension of their stay so they could maintain their legal status while waiting for landing (should be other way around, I know, but this is where we screwed up).

After sending out their passport, we realized we need scanned copies of the most recent stamps on their passports to apply for extension. But now their passport is en route, and Canada Post refused to let us recall the package. Most likely we won’t get their passport back before their 6m expires and they will become out of status in Canada. How does that impact their landing once they receive their COPR? Is there anything we could do to comply to legislation?

Thanks in advance for any inputs!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone, I’ve been searching through this forum and googling but haven’t found any relevant info. Would really appreciate insights from anyone in the same situation before or who could point us to helpful info.

I sponsored my parents and got PPR last week. They are reaching their 6 month limit as visitor visa in less than 2 weeks, so I was thinking we would submit their passport for PR visa then apply for extension of their stay so they could maintain their legal status while waiting for landing (should be other way around, I know, but this is where we screwed up).

After sending out their passport, we realized we need scanned copies of the most recent stamps on their passports to apply for extension. But now their passport is en route, and Canada Post refused to let us recall the package. Most likely we won’t get their passport back before their 6m expires and they will become out of status in Canada. How does that impact their landing once they receive their COPR? Is there anything we could do to comply to legislation?

Thanks in advance for any inputs!
Apply for the extension anyways, with an LOE.

Reactions: gayfish

gayfish

Star Member
Jun 17, 2019
Thought we'd come back and share our experience, in case any of it would be helpful for those who happen to be in our situation.

We called cic yesterday (not that we don't trust your advice canuck_in_uk - we really do appreciate your help, we were just so stressed over the situation that we ought to seek re-confirmation from cic). We were advised the same thing as above, i.e. apply for extension anyways, explaining reason we can't provide latest stamps on passport just yet and that we'd submit them via webform as soon as we have our passport back from cic. As such, our application for extension would not be deemed incomplete and we'd be granted implied status while waiting for COPR (given everything else on document checklist for extension is provided as required).

We were fortunate enough though, that we didn't have to go that route. After talking to cic, we decided to try our luck calling Canada Post nevertheless. We got to speak to Senior Solutions team from Canada Post who was so kind and understanding to let us have our shipment back. They called to informed the outlet so the package was set aside ready for pickup when we arrived. They even called us to follow up if we had any issue retrieving our stuffs at the outlet. I was impressed, and surprised, with Canada Post customer service! Not because they made an exception for us to get our shipment back, but it's the whole experience when everyone was listening to our situation, explaining to us it was their policy that packages cannot be returned once in CP possession (in a super nice and sympathetic tone) but they would try their best to escalate and help us in any way they can. Also how they coordinated with outlet to have the package ready for us, and the follow-up to make sure everything went well...I mean, truly A-class customer service. I would have given the same review if they had not been able to divert from their policy!

Reactions: csadangi