+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Out of status application. New thread for those feeling lost.

Andc

Sep 16, 2023
Hi GIE34,

I am in a similar situation, my spouse is out of status and cannot renew his passport. We are yet to start the spousal sponsorship application - outland. Can you please share if you find any way out of getting your passport renewed w/o status?
Why wouldn't he be able to renew his passport though?
I am out of status in Canada and I have renewed my passport at my country's embassy with no issues. He is still a citizen of that country and he is still entitled to a passport, otherwise he wouldn't even be able to fly back to his home country if he wanted and would be stuck in Canada illegally.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Why wouldn't he be able to renew his passport though?
I am out of status in Canada and I have renewed my passport at my country's embassy with no issues. He is still a citizen of that country and he is still entitled to a passport, otherwise he wouldn't even be able to fly back to his home country if he wanted and would be stuck in Canada illegally.
This individual's spouse is out of status in the US, not in Canada. A number of countries have policies where they will not renew your passport if you are in a country without valid status. They will approve an emergency travel document to allow you to leave Canada and return home. But they will not grant an actual passport.

Reactions: dwija21 and YVR123