+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

out of country and oath notice received

testycal

Jul 18, 2013
The usual situation. Very ill family member and wife wanting to be with parent in case health deteriorates further. What is best suggestion. Get back here for ceremony and return to parent or contact CIC and request re schedule oath ceremony? I understand one cannot tell CIC when you are available. Suggestions or comments welcome thank you

Michels

Nov 20, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
testycal said:
The usual situation. Very ill family member and wife wanting to be with parent in case health deteriorates further. What is best suggestion. Get back here for ceremony and return to parent or contact CIC and request re schedule oath ceremony? I understand one cannot tell CIC when you are available. Suggestions or comments welcome thank you
This is subjective.. attending an ill relative is a valid reason to reschedule, however what will guarantee you that on the reschedule the relative will still not need care? so it is for the person to decide and take the risks and not forum members.. as both issues are life impacting/changing

testycal

Jul 18, 2013
thanks for the reply (fast) I realize it is 6 of one half dozen of other. I assume if decision is made to stay then she should immediately contact CIC - is best way by fax and letter as this is unclear to me/her.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
CIC will allow you to reschedule if you have a good reason. An ill family member sounds like a good reason to me. Try contacting them.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
If it were me, I'd get back there and get it taken care of. It'll be expensive. It'll be difficult, but at least when its over--you are done with CIC.

Jabuela

Star Member
Feb 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think you should come back a day before the oath get your oath and leave, I understand the situation,, but also think about the wait time that you may face if you reschedule, things may change at any time with CIC too. if I were you I will come get my oath apply for the passport and leave again. true its going to be expensive but its better than being worried what happened to my file. at the end its your choice

kimosabe

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
Yes this situation is very subjective. Only the person involved can decide for his/her self.

CIC will in all probability give due consideration as this is valid and good reason to reschedule the oath.

Having said that, if it were me, and I have the financial means, I'd fly back to attend the oath taking, and just leave as soon as it's done with.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
do realize that you will lose the PR card during the oath process. so can't really leave right after oath. need to wait till passport. i know someone who had the same issue and didn't calculate this part in travel plans. so, just a suggestion.

kimosabe

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
chakrab said:
do realize that you will lose the PR card during the oath process. so can't really leave right after oath. need to wait till passport. i know someone who had the same issue and didn't calculate this part in travel plans. so, just a suggestion.
Good reminder there Chakrab about the PR card being surrendered upon oath taking.

Question: Can one leave Canada without the Canadian Passport, and then apply for that Canadian Passport outside Canada (at the Canadian embassy), after presenting your proof of Canadian Citizenship Certificate to them? This could be an option if viable.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
unless you are from a country that supports dual citizenship, this process will be impossible. the moment one receives the canadian certificate, their previous citizenship will cease to exist. so one would be travelling without a valid passport in such a case.

also under passport canada and cic sites, it is mentioned that citizenship certificate is not a travel document. so i don't know if the consulates will process a first time passport application. mind you, you can apply for lost or stolen passport, but you do require a previous passport.

testycal

Jul 18, 2013
chakrab said:
unless you are from a country that supports dual citizenship, this process will be impossible. the moment one receives the canadian certificate, their previous citizenship will cease to exist. so one would be travelling without a valid passport in such a case.

also under passport canada and cic sites, it is mentioned that citizenship certificate is not a travel document. so i don't know if the consulates will process a first time passport application. mind you, you can apply for lost or stolen passport, but you do require a previous passport.
unless dual citizenship exists

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
chakrab said:

also don't forget the issue of finding a guarantor
The previous citizenship doesn't automatically "cease to exist". The Canadian government doesn't inform other governments when people become Canadian citizens, so unless a person actually tells the first country that they have obtained Canadian citizenship, there is no way the country will know. The original passport will still be valid and the person will be able to travel on it. Many people from countries that don't allow dual citizenship do this without issue.

Any Canadian citizen, regardless of how they obtained citizenship or whether they have held a Canadian passport previously, can apply for a Canadian passport outside of Canada.

It is possible to apply for a passport without a guarantor, using instead the "Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor".