+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Out of Canada for more than 730 days

AkashBR

Dec 21, 2018
Hi,

After getting my PR through express entry FSW, I arrive to canada back in Nov 2019, and flew back to India on Oct 2020 (staying 351 days in canada), due to medical situation in family and staying here ever since and I may have to stay in India for another 4-5 months, that makes a total of 790 days out of canada.

Is there a condition or obligation stating anywhere that I can not stay out of canada for 730 days consecutively? If so, how do I inform immigration department about my situation as I can provide with all the valid medical documents required to prove my case.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
No, there is no rule like that.

The rule is - must be présent in Canada 730 days in any five year period. The first five year period is from your day of landing.

If you are out of Canada less than 1095 days in five years, you are in compliance. (This is just an arithmetic restatement)

Since you've been out (your count) less than 800 days, you are still in compliance with some buffer.

I'd encourage you to return earlier, as soon as feasible, because the most common story here is like yours (still some time ) and then "something comes up" and problems begin.

Reactions: YVR123 and AkashBR

AkashBR

Dec 21, 2018
Thanks for answering. I read many cases on this forum where you have answered people missing their RO requirements. I do not want to fall prey to such a situation where I get into a vulnerable situation. I do not intend to stay here beyond DEC 2022, and will keep my decision firm having read many people facing similar issues.

Reactions: armoured