+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

out of canada for a year before citizenship test

nymorales03

Jun 17, 2011
Hello, I just got a notice to take the citizenship test and interview after the test,,,but I have been out of Canada for 11 months,,,,I called before and they told me to send a letter by fax but it seems they didn´t receive it since I got this notice now.
I am very nervous now because I dont know if this would affect when the judge decides to grant me or not the citizenship. So now I have to rush back to Canada to take the test but I am very nervous if my year out is going to affect or what to do,,,,,need suggestions and help, advise please!
thank you, Judy

Sassy22

Nov 5, 2014
hi
as long as you have completed your 1095 days before applying for citizenship , think you should be fine but try not to miss you test. i am waiting on my test also

sassy :D

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nymorales03 said:
Hello, I just got a notice to take the citizenship test and interview after the test,,,but I have been out of Canada for 11 months,,,,I called before and they told me to send a letter by fax but it seems they didn´t receive it since I got this notice now.
I am very nervous now because I dont know if this would affect when the judge decides to grant me or not the citizenship. So now I have to rush back to Canada to take the test but I am very nervous if my year out is going to affect or what to do,,,,,need suggestions and help, advise please!
thank you, Judy
Just be prepared to answer this question. Why did you have to leave Canada for such a long time? hope you have a good reason, don't let them think that you're here only to get your passport and leave Canada for good.

nymorales03

Jun 17, 2011
Hi, well my reason is a personal reason so I don´t know how to explain this so it won´t affect me.....basically my fiancée broke up with me and I got a nervous breakdown so I went back to my country to be with my family since I didn´t want to be alone,,,then my sister got married in another country and I went to spend some time there then came back to my country to take a job in the meantime while I planned if I should go back to Canada or not because I was very emotionally distraught,,,I thought they wouldn´t contact me for about another year so I had decided to go back anyway just didn´t think so soon,,,,and this is the truth,,,,now what should I tell at the interview? would this affect me??? and also since I dont think I would get a job in 2 days,,,,I dont know if this would affect me either...I need advise please, thanks so much. J.

Maria Ash

Star Member
Apr 11, 2014
If this is a case as you have told than just be honest about it u went back as u needed emotional support as u had no one here to look after u

RussCan

Star Member
Aug 16, 2013
nymorales03 said:
Hi, well my reason is a personal reason so I don´t know how to explain this so it won´t affect me.....basically my fiancée broke up with me and I got a nervous breakdown so I went back to my country to be with my family since I didn´t want to be alone,,,then my sister got married in another country and I went to spend some time there then came back to my country to take a job in the meantime while I planned if I should go back to Canada or not because I was very emotionally distraught,,,I thought they wouldn´t contact me for about another year so I had decided to go back anyway just didn´t think so soon,,,,and this is the truth,,,,now what should I tell at the interview? would this affect me??? and also since I dont think I would get a job in 2 days,,,,I dont know if this would affect me either...I need advise please, thanks so much. J.
[/quote
What kind of advice your are looking for? Your situation is what it is. Very likely, unfortunately, you will be issued with RQ when they see that have been away for a year, are not employed and lacking other obvious ties to Canada. But at this stage there is nothing you can do about it. If you are looking for solace in hearing everything will be good and there is nothing to worry about then I am sorry to disappoint you. You are very likely receiving RQ.

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nymorales03 said:
o not tell them that you went to your country of origin to get emotional support and while you're there you got a job. If you need an emotional support then you are not fit enough to get a job. so my advice, don't tell them you were working during your absence.

nymorales03

Jun 17, 2011
...in this case if I do get an RQ, and based on my situation,,,how likely would it be that I would get citizenship?? it is starting to feel like a very long and stressful thing to do so if I did get an RQ and then had to wait a lot longer I am not sure if I would be able to keep on waiting for so long,,,can you give me any advise on this or thoughts on what could happen/ should do?? thank you. J.

Lunaking

Nov 28, 2014
nymorales03 said:
...in this case if I do get an RQ, and based on my situation,,,how likely would it be that I would get citizenship?? it is starting to feel like a very long and stressful thing to do so if I did get an RQ and then had to wait a lot longer I am not sure if I would be able to keep on waiting for so long,,,can you give me any advise on this or thoughts on what could happen/ should do?? thank you. J.

Don't worry nothing will happen. They care only for the 4 years preceding your application. I left for about 2 years after applying. Did my test and the officer didn't even bother asking about whatever happened after the application. I maintained my residency requirements and had a new passport issued overseas with a ton of stamps but didn't make a difference as I had solid 4 years. I had an RQ too. Now waiting for oath.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nymorales03 said:
Your concerns are 100% valid. I think you will most likely get an RQ after the interview. There has been cases where citizenship was denied because the applicant left the country after applying. The decision could be overcome in court (since you meet the residency requirement) but that is a long battle and it means you will have to in the country for the "battle".

So you will either get lucky and nothing happens, get an RQ and wait few more months, or get denied all together.

My advice to you as plan to come back and stay. If that not possible, then stay there but don't cry about it if becomes a lengthy stressful process. And like others said, you reasons for leaving and staying away for this long after applying arent that appealing.

RussCan

Star Member
Aug 16, 2013
nymorales03 said:
Again, its difficult to give to give any advise without knowing your case in detail. How easly can you prove your case if RQ is issued. You can see what questions they ask in RQ on this forum. If you feel comfortable you will be able to supply all supporting evidence to demonstrated you indeed have lived here for 3 years then one matter. If you doubt you will then it's another. If you want advice that is worth anything provide more details about your case.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
It is imperative to appear for the test. Being outside Canada is not an acceptable reason (from CIC's perspective, the perspective which counts) for missing a scheduled test.

It is imperative to be honest in answering questions at the test interview. Technically the interview is a documents-check interview, and it usually involves the interviewer examining original documents (passports, Identification), including stamps in the applicant's passports. However, the interview can involve questions beyond the scope of verifying the documents, and sometimes goes into matters outside the four relevant years in the residency calculation.

The recent absence from Canada may or may not come up in the questions you are asked. Sometimes it does. Oft times it does not. If the interviewer does not ask questions about recent absences (absences made after date of applying), there is no need to bring up anything relative to your absence while the application has been pending.

If the interviewer does ask questions about absences since the application was made, you have no choice but to be honest. Simple, direct answers are best. No need to elaborate or offer complex explanations unless the interviewer asks for more information, for further explanation.

Key questions could be about current employment and address. Do not be tempted to fudge your answers. For example, if you are not actually living in Canada, gambling for convenience is a bad bet. Sure, many get away with it. More do not. CIC is now being more thorough and probing in this regard than they were in the past. Consequences for misrepresentation are something you do not want to learn from experience.

Regarding impact of extended absence since applying:

Extended absences from Canada while an application is pending can, indeed, lead to problems. Technically, under the currently applicable law, there is no requirement to remain in Canada while the application is pending, and no disability or disqualification for living outside Canada after applying. However, there are many indications that if CIC identifies an applicant as one who has been living outside Canada while the application is pending, RQ may be issued, elevated scrutiny may be applied, and the applicant can be subject to increased skepticism.

That does not mean that every applicant with extended absences is so treated. We do not have any information about the extent to which applicants are subject to such hurdles due to extended absences while the application is pending. Many applicants report interviews in which there is little or no attention given to any other time period than the four years which are part of the residency calculation.

But there are also many cases in which it is clear that where CIC has identified the applicant as someone who has been living outside Canada while the application is pending, CIC has consequently imposed hurdles in the processing of the application.

You may notice that in the above responses, for example, you see both extremes, based on personal experience or knowledge of particular cases, some reporting there is no problem, others reporting that RQ is virtually certain. Actually we do not know what portion of applicants with extended post-app absences still have smooth sailing, what portion run into RQ squalls and an unfriendly CIC process. It can go either way. Even if we knew all the details it would be impossible to reliably predict which way things will go.

But, there is indeed a risk that the lengthy absence will trigger questions which in turn could lead to CIC making requests for further information and documentation, including possibly issuing RQ, and potentially (depending on how CIC perceives the situation) imposing processing hurdles making the path to citizenship longer and more difficult.

I have mixed feelings about a post like this:

CanV said:
Your concerns are 100% valid. I think you will most likely get an RQ after the interview. There has been cases where citizenship was denied because the applicant left the country after applying. The decision could be overcome in court (since you meet the residency requirement) but that is a long battle and it means you will have to in the country for the "battle".

So you will either get lucky and nothing happens, get an RQ and wait few more months, or get denied all together.

My advice to you as plan to come back and stay. If that not possible, then stay there but don't cry about it if becomes a lengthy stressful process. And like others said, you reasons for leaving and staying away for this long after applying arent that appealing.
I largely agree with the observation that your concerns are valid, and with the suggestion that if citizenship is important to you, come to Canada to live and stay.

And in a sense I acknowledge that some applicants are, in a practical sense, denied because they left the country after applying.

Technically, however, the observation by others that absences after applying do not count against residency is an accurate one, and it is error for a CJ to deny approval because of the extent to which an applicant has been absent after applying.

But as I noted above, CIC can impose hurdles on the path to citizenship, leading to delays and elevated scrutiny.

There are a couple recent Federal Court cases (well one early this year, and one in December) which illustrate the obstacles some individuals encounter.

The more recent one is the Helen Wang case. Technically this is not a case about leaving Canada after applying, but is an applicant who was denied citizenship because she failed the CJ's oral examination as to her knowledge of Canada. She passed the written test. But since she was living outside Canada, she was issued RQ . . . even though, apparently, there was no real question about her having been actually present in Canada for at least 1095 days. Despite having passed the written test, the CJ decided to give her an oral test and ruled that she failed, and denied citizenship. The real issue, though, is clearly indicated in the CJ's attitude about the applicant residing abroad. It is no surprise that Justice Rennie was not sympathetic. The case illustrates that where CIC perceives the applicant is living abroad, CIC and the CJ are likely to probe for whatever reason they can to justify denying citizenship.

The case from earlier this year is the more disconcerting one, since the applicant was abroad for a temporary reason, an internship, and after RQ and a residency hearing with a Citizenship Judge, the CJ approved the applicant for a grant of citizenship. This was the Wasim B.H. Alsayegh case. This individual returned to his internship (with GOOGLE) abroad after the test. He was scheduled to take the oath on December 7, 2012, and for that purpose was returning to Canada on December 4, 2012 when he was subject to a residency examination at the POE upon arrival in Canada. This individual asserts that he was in compliance with the PR residency obligation, and that the CBSA officer at the POE refused to consider documents the individual had in his possession documenting that he had been in Canada. A 44(1) report and a Removal Order was issued at the POE, and an alert sent to the local CIC office that a Removal Order had been issued, making this individual ineligible for a grant of citizenship. CIC summarily terminated the application at that point.

This person won the appeal, because the summary termination of the application was on its face not within the authority of CIC, but we do not know what ultimately happened in this case. (A Removal Order, even if on appeal, does indeed make him ineligible to be granted citizenship.)

However, this case nonetheless illustrates the hardline approach CIC sometimes takes toward applicants identified as living abroad while the application is still in process.

The government's overall position on this is best illustrated by the fact that Bill C-24, adopted into law and given Royal Assent this past June, will give CIC the authority (when it comes into force) to terminate applications for applicants living abroad while the application is pending (the new law contains an intent to continue residing in Canada clause, and of course logically a person cannot continue to live in Canada if he is living abroad, that is, not living in Canada).

sgimmy

Jun 12, 2014
dpenabill said:
The government's overall position on this is best illustrated by the fact that Bill C-24, adopted into law and given Royal Assent this past June, will give CIC the authority (when it comes into force) to terminate applications for applicants living abroad while the application is pending (the new law contains an intent to continue residing in Canada clause, and of course logically a person cannot continue to live in Canada if he is living abroad, that is, not living in Canada).
I guess they wont implement the intent to reside clause to applicants who applied before the law came into effect.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sgimmy said:
I guess they wont implement the intent to reside clause to applicants who applied before the law came into effect.
In general it should not be in effect on previous rule. However, since Aug the new law's most of criteria is now on practice by CIC officers and it all depends on them. If an officer during interview is suspicious on extended travel start thinking that the person is here only for passport, officer may delay the granting the application and issue RQ.

Even under the new single point processing rule applies, CJ still there and will be referred if officer does not approve the file which fully under their own discretion..