+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Other than Universities in Toronto

KSA99

Star Member
Jun 14, 2009
Hi,

I want to study Engineering starting from Sep, 2013. I am applying to UoT and Ryerson. Since both these Universities are difficult to get admission, I am looking for 1-2 more universities who offers engineering programs. My criteria is that the Universities must be recognized and accredited by the Canadian Govt., provide good quality of education, have multicultural atmosphere (prefer Asian), off-campus cost of living moderate or less expensive etc.

Please suggest and share your experience.

Thanks in advance.

Regard.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you looking for off-campus cost of living moderate or less expensive, then don't look at Toronto and Vancouver. I suggest Ottawa, that is Uni of Ottawa and Carleton University. If you want somewhere near to Toronto, you can try Waterloo area especially Uni of Waterloo and Wilfred Laurier University.

KSA99

Star Member
Jun 14, 2009
Thanks.

I heard that Ottawa is dominated by French language people. Please tell me, Univ. of Ottawa teaches Engr. programs in English language or French? How about Ottawa city, are there English people?

What about McMaster Univ.? I heard that it is located in a small city (Hamilton) and cost of living is not that much high if compared with Toronto.

Thanks in advance.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I've never been to Hamilton. If you want further information, perhaps you could PM this poster:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/help-with-areas-in-toronto-please-already-in-canada-t61956.0.html;msg564742#msg564742

As for Ottawa, there are English speaking population. You can view multi-cultural television (including Chinese and Punjabi) there. For more details about the schools, perhaps you can contact them directly.

KSA99

Star Member
Jun 14, 2009
Hi,

Anyone would like to give his/her openion about Waterloo Univ. and the town.

I have to decide either Waterloo or McMaster.

Which city of both Univ. has more Asian touch.

Regard.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Out of curiosity why if you want an Asian touch would you study in Canada...why not study in Asia?

KSA99

Star Member
Jun 14, 2009
Hi,

One more question regarding my admission in Univ.

I am doing my A-level based on British Pattern, my final result will come after September by that time Univ. have already started new classes. I got my predicted grades (A, B and B) for Univ. admission. I checked the admission requirements of Waterloo, McMaster and Ryerson, all these Univ. require minimum 2Bs grades out of three subjects.

I came to know that universalities offer conditional admission to candidates based on their predicted grade but do not know whether Univ. allow students to continue their study programs or not if someone get final results below than predicted.

Please clarify my confusion.

Regard.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
I completed my undergrad in Electrical Engineering from University of Windsor (not so reputed but recognized) in 2010. I secured my full-time job in a crown corporation - Ontario Govt. owned (the one I'm doing now) during my final year of study.

Now breaking down to your multiple queries, most universities in Canada are accredited. Especially, the big names you mentioned are undoubtedly.

For engineering, the following would be best in Southern Ontario:

Waterloo University
University of Toronto
McMaster University

Middle
Queen's University
Carleton University
Ryerson University
University of Ottawa

Bottom
University of Windsor
University of Western Ontario

I've ranked them from my personal experience based on job acceptance and education qualities. If you're a follower of Maclean's ranking, my list would somewhat match with them as well.

Here are some links for follow-up:
List of Canadian Universities: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rankings_of_universities_in_Canada
Maclean's 2013 Ranking: http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/11/01/the-2013-macleans-university-rankings/
2012 Engineering Ranking: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rankings_of_universities_in_Canada

If you follow Maclean's, you would find 3 different categories – Medical/Doctoral, Comprehensive & Undergrad. The first category would be best if you're interested in post-grad studies in future. The rest would give you solid info for undergrad engineering.

You also asked about living cost and big city VS smaller city situated universities. Out of all cities in Ontario, GTA/Toronto is the largest and it has Uni of Toronto, York Uni and Ryerson Uni. Living in Toronto would be much more expensive than any other city in Ontario. On contrary, London (Western Ontario), Ottawa (Uni of Ottawa and Carleton Uni) and Windsor (Uni of Windsor) can be regarded as mid-size cities. Kingston (Queen's), Hamilton (McMaster Uni) and Waterloo/Kitchener (Uni of Waterloo & Wilfrid Laurier) are kind of smaller in size. But the latter two are close to GTA (an hour drive). GTA would give you some advantages in off-campus survival jobs, big city life and more diverse community. But if you stick to engineering, you won't have much time to enjoy these.

Here, Asians refer to Chinese and so on. UofT and Waterloo are full of them. Other universities would have plenty as well since most immigrants tend to live in Ontario.

Lastly, if you will look for jobs after bachelors, the most important thing that you should look for is to get into CO-OP PROGRAM. Through co-op, you can work in engineering companies in your off-term with solid pay which will eventually get you a job after graduation. This is even more significant than which university you passed from and what was your CGPA (at least has to be over-average). Waterloo has the best co-op program in engineering, Windsor and Carleton are not so behind either. But bigger universities tend to lag behind in career building.

Specialized in Engineering (to my best knowledge)
Waterloo (Computer Science, Computer Eng & Electrical Eng)
Carleton (Any Eng, specially Electrical Eng)
McMaster (Mechanical Eng, other Eng)
Windsor (Automobile Eng)
Queen's & Ottawa (All Eng)
Toronto (Good for any subject) - Similar would be McGill (Montreal) and UBC (Vancouver)

If you're an International Student, you should look more into the engineering tuition than the living cost.

University Base Tuition/semester (apprx)
Uni of Toronto $16,000
Uni of Waterloo $14,000
McMaster Uni $14,000
Uni of Ottawa $11,500
Uni of Western Ontario $11,500
Carleton Uni $11,000
Ryerson Uni $11,000
Uni of Windsor $10,000

Add another $1000-$2500/term depending for ancillary fees, health plan etc. Then comes Cost of Living.

Note: Tuition fees increase almost by 10% each year. Moreover, you should also think about inflation rate over the next couple years that you will be studying.

I don't know if I'm forgetting something. It has been a long post and I hope you find it helpful. If you require any specific detail, let me know. :D

KSA99

Star Member
Jun 14, 2009
Hi Rossei,

Thank you very much for giving all the details. It is really very informative and helpful. Thanks for everyone for his/her inputs as well.

In your given details, you mentioned importance about CO-OP program which are very good for undergraduate student. I need to select 3 different Univ., Waterloo and Mcmaster they co-op programs but don't know about Ryerson. I checked Ryerson website and found that their co-op program is available only for Chemical Engr.

Can someone confirm to me whether Ryerson have co-op for Electrical Engr. Or not?

Regard.

KSA99

Star Member
Jun 14, 2009
Hi Rossei,

I checked today with Ryerson Univ. about their co-op programs, they confirmed that their Chemical Engr. program is a co-op program and for other they have optional internship which students have to arrange, Univ. can assist students for internship.

Anyone can give me suggestion about York Univ. for their Engr. program? Are they accrediated?

Please reply me asap.

Thanks in advance.

Regard.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
KSA99 said:
Hi Rossei,

I checked today with Ryerson Univ. about their co-op programs, they confirmed that their Chemical Engr. program is a co-op program and for other they have optional internship which students have to arrange, Univ. can assist students for internship.
They are right. But there is another option called "Summer Student". I know my company has a summer program both with Ryerson & McMaster. It's almost like co-op. But once you're selected, you may have to do 3 summer terms with the same company. And there is pretty good chance that they will hire you back.

Anyone can give me suggestion about York Univ. for their Engr. program? Are they accrediated?
All I know about YORK is that they are damn good in BUSINESS & LAW. They have a renowned space program in engineering. But for general UG engineering; I wouldn't rank them well enough.

I don't understand why you don't trust in Canadian Universities in their accreditation. Canada isn't like USA or UK where you would find tons of private universities which lack in legitimacy. FYI, Engineering at York is accredited.

You can find yourself re: accredited engineering programs all over Canada from Engineers Canada:
http://www.engineerscanada.ca/e/co_schools.cfm

KSA99

Star Member
Jun 14, 2009
Hi Rossei,

Thanks for your reply.

In 2-3 days I will apply to 3 universities including Ryerson.

I asked York Univ. accreditation because it is mentioned on their web site that their Electrical Engr. Program’s approval is pending with Canadian quality board.

Can please confirm that summer programs are arranged by Univ. or arranged students and after which year of study summer job is allowed?

Regard.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
KSA99 said:
Hi Rossei,

Thanks for your reply.

In 2-3 days I will apply to 3 universities including Ryerson.

I asked York Univ. accreditation because it is mentioned on their web site that their Electrical Engr. Program's approval is pending with Canadian quality board.

Can please confirm that summer programs are arranged by Univ. or arranged students and after which year of study summer job is allowed?

Regard.
As I meant before, I never saw a YORK engineering student in my co-op career.

Some universities have their own career office who take care of co-op/summer/intern programs. They insist employers to post jobs and hire from them. The rest don't have things this way rather tells students to arrange employment which is bit tough for Int'l Students. But at the end for both cases, a student has to apply himself for a job and get selected by the employer.

Summer jobs generally starts from 1st year. But some universities may have restriction for new students to prove their full-time affiliation with the school first. That means you have to complete 2 study terms first in order to qualify for co-op/summer. So, if you start a regular session (Fall), it won't be a problem.

Marjuk

Feb 6, 2013
I am a student of Bachelor Of Business Administration at Patuakhali Science and Technology University, Bangladesh. My course remains 2 years to complete. I want to do my M.B.A course in any university of Canada. What have to do now to get admission in Canadian University after completing my B.B.A course. Please Help me.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Marjuk said:
I am a student of Bachelor Of Business Administration at Patuakhali Science and Technology University, Bangladesh. My course remains 2 years to complete. I want to do my M.B.A course in any university of Canada. What have to do now to get admission in Canadian University after completing my B.B.A course. Please Help me.
Prepare for GMAT as it's a core requirement to get admission to any Canadian MBA school. Top business schools will require you to score over 650, good ones will ask for over 600 and the rest will normally stand out at 550 minimum. You will also need to hold a minimum GPA from your undergrad degree.

The following site will give you an overview of the basic requirements for MBA at different universities in Canada:
http://www.oxfordseminars.ca/GMAT/gmat_profiles.php

But you should visit individual school site of your choice and find more updated/authentic news about MBA. Another thing to remember is the application deadline.