+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Osap

samar077

May 23, 2023
Hi ,I want to apply for osap, but iam not sure how to approach the situation.
My status in Canada is divorced and iam married abroad,,I want to apply for osap to bring my spouse to canada, so my question is to apply as married or divorced?
If I apply as divorced it's easy I don't have to deal with his proof of income as he is unemployed.
But if i apply as married I can use osap document for IRCC ,as proof of marriage
Any advise please will be appreciated

Reactions: Copingwithlife

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My status in Canada is divorced and iam married abroad,,I want to apply for osap to bring my spouse to canada, so my question is to apply as married or divorced?
If I apply as divorced it's easy I don't have to deal with his proof of income as he is unemployed.
But if i apply as married I can use osap document for IRCC ,as proof of marriage
Married

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not sure why you are trying to use OSAP to sponsor your spouse? Are you returning to schooling and needing the funds. Why not use things like NOA since you would have both declared your married status to CRA once you became married and on your next tax returns. Are you currently working full-time? If your spouse is unemployed and you are a new student that could create concerns about how you would be able to financially support your spouse.