+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Original Documents - Proof of Relationship

thekindofguy

Star Member
Jun 14, 2010
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are compiling a proof of relationship document based on my readings on this forum. However, I need to know if we have to send original documents or are photocopies acceptable.

I am referring to cards, notes, letters, etc.... We are OK to send the originals but would be heartbroken if they were not returned to us. Does anybody have any experience with this?

I thank you in advance for taking the time to respond. :)

dj88

Nov 15, 2012
philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 16 2012
AOR Received.
July 27 2012
VISA ISSUED...
January2013
LANDED..........
March 2013
you need to send youre cards(valentines,b-day or x-mas cards),western union reciepts,,and other recipets too..,,me i send our first communication in yahoo,,i print it at least 1 page in every date,,,you need to send youre original marriage certificate too..

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
thekindofguy said:
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are compiling a proof of relationship document based on my readings on this forum. However, I need to know if we have to send original documents or are photocopies acceptable.

I am referring to cards, notes, letters, etc.... We are OK to send the originals but would be heartbroken if they were not returned to us. Does anybody have any experience with this?

I thank you in advance for taking the time to respond. :)
Hi The Kind of Guy,

It really depends on your visa officer what EXACTLY you have to send and if it will be returned to you or not. My visa office, Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic) returned all of the things we sent when my husband went to the embassy to pick up his passport with visa. So we got everything back, but not all visa offices give the stuff back.

We sent all photocopies of cards, letters of support, etc.
For our official documents, we had to have them translated into English because they were in Spanish. For this we sent the original translation of into English, and behind that original translation was a copy of the actual Spanish certificate: This was done for our marriage certificate, my husband's birth certificate, and his police record check.

Which visa office are you? People might be able to better tell u if that visa office returns your items (if u do decide to send the original cards and stuff) or not.

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed > Ottawa > Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 > Ottawa 10/9/12 > LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
I made copies of everything cards, plane tickets, our first receipt for hotel in Niagara Falls the first time we met 13 yrs ago I held on to that for a long time I was not letting it out of my hand LOL I also picked out the photos and printed copies of those. I wasn't sure what would come back and what wouldn't and didn't want to take the chance, they accepted the copies and even returned them to me with my CoPR. I just figured if they didn't like the copies they could ask me for the originals, remember if they are not happy with what you send they WILL ask for more before denying you... Good Luck!

thekindofguy

Star Member
Jun 14, 2010
Thanks for your replies creampop, tink23 and dj88,

I will be filing in the Manila visa office if that makes any difference regarding the returning of documents.

I think I would prefer to send in photocopies of the items as there are many memories that I would prefer not to lose.

On the other hand, it might be better to send in the originals as my wife is very creative and the cards are all hand made and it might make more of an impact as opposed to the photocopies.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
thekindofguy said:
Thanks for your replies creampop, tink23 and dj88,

I will be filing in the Manila visa office if that makes any difference regarding the returning of documents.

I think I would prefer to send in photocopies of the items as there are many memories that I would prefer not to lose.

On the other hand, it might be better to send in the originals as my wife is very creative and the cards are all hand made and it might make more of an impact as opposed to the photocopies.
Only send originals where the guide/instructions tell you to. These cards sound very precious and you wouldn't want to have them lost in the VO forever.

If they want the originals OR you're calling for an interview, then supply them.

Plus it's good to keep the originals in case the VO "misplaces" them.....

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
amikety said:
Only send originals where the guide/instructions tell you to. These cards sound very precious and you wouldn't want to have them lost in the VO forever.

If they want the originals OR you're calling for an interview, then supply them.

Plus it's good to keep the originals in case the VO "misplaces" them.....
I agree - don't send anything that you're not willing to loose. You might not get them back. Just get a good copy of it ( maybe a color one), and explain that you sent copies because the originals are precious to you, but you would send them if asked for them at a later stage. That should be enough.
Good luck,
Sweden

thekindofguy

Star Member
Jun 14, 2010
Amikety - Thanks, I definitely would not want to see anything misplaced. I will not send in the originals.

Sweden - Thanks for that suggestion. I will take a picture and print color copies of them.