+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Order of Operations at MSP/ICBC for Returning Resident

Apr 15, 2023
I was a BC resident many years ago and had a CareCard and BC driver licence before moving to the USA. I am planning to return to BC and reestablish health insurance and driver licence.

MSP imposes a 3-month wait period for coverage. Would I need to wait until the wait period is over before applying for a BC Services Card? If I choose to have separate cards, I assume I can apply for the driver licence first and then the BC Services Card when eligible?

If I procrastinate and apply for MSP more than 3 months after arriving in BC and already completed the wait period, would the coverage begin immediately?

The name on the old CareCard is different from the name on the old driver licence. Would the BC Services Card show the name in the MSP database and the new driver licence show the name in the ICBC database?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, so have the requisite ID for ICBC.
Yes you can receive a driver’s license when you arrive in BC. normally wait period starts from when you apply for MSP. Ar you moving back to BC permanently? You must be prepared to make your permanent home in BC and be planning on meeting certain residency requirements to qualify to apply for MSP.

Apr 15, 2023
Yes you can receive a driver’s license when you arrive in BC. normally wait period starts from when you apply for MSP. Ar you moving back to BC permanently? You must be prepared to make your permanent home in BC and be planning on meeting certain residency requirements to qualify to apply for MSP.
Yes, will be moving back to BC permanently. Would I apply for the BC driver's licence immediately and then apply for the BC Services Card after serving the wait period?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, will be moving back to BC permanently. Would I apply for the BC driver's licence immediately and then apply for the BC Services Card after serving the wait period?
Why do you need a BC service card? A driver’s license and then applying for MSP should be all you need. You should take out private insurance to cover emergencies until you qualify for MSP.

Apr 15, 2023
Why do you need a BC service card? A driver’s license and then applying for MSP should be all you need. You should take out private insurance to cover emergencies until you qualify for MSP.
Just wanted to know if I can apply for both at the same time and avoid a second visit to ICBC for the BC Services Card.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why not just wait until you're eligible for MSP and then apply for the Combined BC Services Card?
If you currently hold a valid U.S. DL, you can drive with that for 90 days.

Apr 15, 2023
Why not just wait until you're eligible for MSP and then apply for the Combined BC Services Card?
If you currently hold a valid U.S. DL, you can drive with that for 90 days.
My US driver's licence expires soon so I could avoid renewing the US one by apply for the BC one now. So ICBC will only issue the BC Services Card after the MSP wait period is over?