+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Options to maintain PR

gauravbajaj25

Jul 9, 2018
We completed our soft landing in Canada 2 years ago and have the PR until Aug 2021. Trying to figure out when to finally move in order to maintain the PR:

I'd like to understand what is the latest that I can move to Canada and still retain my PR:
1. Move in June 2019 and stay for 2 years (until 2021)
2. Move in 2020/21 and stay for 2 years w/o any overseas trips. In this case, can I apply for PR renewal in 2022/23 even though the current card is only valid till 2021
3. Between now and when I finally move to Canada - can I continue making weekend trips to Vancouver and count those days towards the 2 years needed to retain the PR.

Thanks for your inputs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1.Best option. You wil be in compliance with your RO at this point. It sounds like you have some buffer days because of your weekend trips. Depending on how many days you have you can consider a vacation out of Canada or can leave Canada if there is an emergency. If you submit you PR card renewal soon after the 730 days you will likely end up in secondary inspection. It can happen to anyone actually. Given your weekend trips and just in general you should be gathering proof of all the days in Canada. Would make a trackable purchase each day when you are in Canada on the weekends .
2. You would be entering Canada without being compliant with your RO. If you don't get reported you can live in Canada for 2 years straight. It may be slightly less depending on your weekend trips during the 5 year window.
3.Yes weekend trips count as long as they fall in the 5 year window.

Just wanted to remind you that after the initial 5 years you then have to meet the RO at any time. It is not another 5 year block of time.

andrew999929

Star Member
Jul 30, 2018
Hi canuck78. Can you please clarify what you mean by meeting the RO at any time after the initial 5 years? Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi canuck78. Can you please clarify what you mean by meeting the RO at any time after the initial 5 years? Thank you
After the initial 5 year period your RO becomes a rolling requirement. You will need to meet the 2 out of 5 year requirement on any day not just at the end of the next 5 years.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
If you are Indian living in US waiting for GC, and if you don't move by now, I'm 99% sure that you won't be making a decision on this and would lose your PR eventually. Moving just before RO and staying continuous 2 years not practical, and not going to work out for sure. It is hard to find a job in last minute and you'd naturally give it up. If you dont want to give up US, try finding something in the border or move your job and try to wrap by the end of this year. Otherwise Canada would be done deal.

Reactions: scylla

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
After the initial 5 year period your RO becomes a rolling requirement. You will need to meet the 2 out of 5 year requirement on any day not just at the end of the next 5 years.
Sorry didn't get you.. after extending PR by meeting initial residency obligation by living last 2 years out of 5 years, you can again be out for 3 more years, come back be for two more years to keep the PR alive right.. rolling window doesn't change anything right.. it seems that it is possible to follow the initial pattern