+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Options for my girlfriend

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I do not think she made more than 30 k. But will be around 25K. She still has to remit taxes right?
I believe it’s line 103 or 104 on the T1 return
Income not supported by a T slip
Yes, she’s required too declare ALL income , as mentioned ditch the accountant , this ones a idiot
The 30k is for gst hst remittance. The money she made is not tax free

Reactions: scylla

Utmosteffort

Sep 20, 2019
I believe it’s line 103 or 104 on the T1 return
Income not supported by a T slip
Yes, she’s required too declare ALL income , as mentioned ditch the accountant , this ones a idiot
The 30k is for gst hst remittance. The money she made is not tax free

My girlfriend is going to go to his boss and mention three things.

1. It is illegal not to deduct CPP/EI and income tax from pay, and not provide pay hub.

2. It is illegal not to give her a employee status despite working as a order clerk.
3. It is illegal to not provide T4.

She is just going to look him in the eye and tell these straight to him, and see how he reacts.
Is there anything else that she should be talking about that I am missing?

If he does not provide her with an employee status, she is just going to quit the job.
Since she is self-employed I doubt she needs to give 2 week notice.

I am pretty furious about the boss, maybe I should tell her to report this guy to the CRA.

I dont even know why he is writing her off as self-employed-- maybe he saves money by doing that?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
My girlfriend is going to go to his boss and mention three things.

1. It is illegal not to deduct CPP/EI and income tax from pay, and not provide pay hub.

2. It is illegal not to give her a employee status despite working as a order clerk.
3. It is illegal to not provide T4.

She is just going to look him in the eye and tell these straight to him, and see how he reacts.
Is there anything else that she should be talking about that I am missing?

If he does not provide her with an employee status, she is just going to quit the job.
Since she is self-employed I doubt she needs to give 2 week notice.

I am pretty furious about the boss, maybe I should tell her to report this guy to the CRA.

I dont even know why he is writing her off as self-employed-- maybe he saves money by doing that?
Yes, when an employer categorizes someone as a contract individual the employer does not submit payroll deductions , which can add up over the course of time .CPP is a match , if the employee contributes $100, the employer contributes $100, EI , the rate I believe it went up this year is 1.4 of the employees contribution . As well the employer in Ontario has to make WSIB contributions in case the employee ever gets injured on the job .
Payroll deductions fund the programs Canadians depend upon when life events occur . CPP-retirement, EI, if one looses their employment , Maternity, Parental leave , Compassionate Leave to name a few
As well none of the hours your girlfriend worked would count if she ever needed to make any type of benefit claim
Here is a link if you wish to report this individual
It is tax evasion, and is against the law

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/programs/about-canada-revenue-agency-cra/suspected-tax-cheating-in-canada-overview.html

Last edited: